Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th March 2012, 02:10 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox
Looking for volunteers

I'm looking for a couple of volunteers to do testing!
I've tested it on two of my machines without any errors. Of course since I created the how-to I know what needs to be changed to where and hopefully have the how-to document done to where most any user should be able to follow it without problem. I still have one more file to add that needs to be documented but that file currently has no effect on the operation of the grub boot splash theme except for some missing icons that throw NO errors. This file is one of the options that I speak about in the how-to doc.

ANYONE WANT TO BE A TESTER? Let me know.
Old 30th March 2012, 10:34 AM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Grub Splash, For those interested

How long is the process? I don't have a lot of free time between my job and uni work, but I might be able to spare some time for it
Old 30th March 2012, 11:06 PM
sdlor Offline

linuxchrome

Yes, I would like to test it.. Do we send a PM?
Old 5th April 2012, 02:55 PM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox
Cool Re: Grub Splash, For those interested

Sorry for the long delay people.

I've run into some personal issues that need attending to that will consume most of my time but I will continue to work on this when my time allows to do so. Everything does work as it is currently setup but there is much to be done yet. Therefore I'm making the link to the files available now and will update as time permits. The how to document can be confusing at spots as reported by some testers. So read it in full first!

Here's the link for the how-to document and you will find the link to download the files needed inside this document.
dl.dropbox.com/u/69319539/Grub splash how-to-rev2.odt

Also glennzo has made a great install script that will do the work for you!

Glennzo feel free to post your install script to help users install this package. I'll be in touch with the updates as soon as I have them completed.

Again THANK YOU GLENNZO for the install script.

I know this setup works on F17 but for F16 I can't really say as I have no F16 machine for testing. As I said in one of my posts you MUST be running Grub2 version 1.99 for this to work. So if you have this grub2 version it may or may not work in F16 since some things may or may not be applicable to your installation of grub 1.99 as reported by some testers.

Happy Splashing!!

Last edited by jakebpg; 5th April 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 5th April 2012, 07:33 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebpg View Post
Sorry for the long delay people.

I've run into some personal issues that need attending to that will consume most of my time but I will continue to work on this when my time allows to do so. Everything does work as it is currently setup but there is much to be done yet. Therefore I'm making the link to the files available now and will update as time permits. The how to document can be confusing at spots as reported by some testers. So read it in full first!

Here's the link for the how-to document and you will find the link to download the files needed inside this document.
dl.dropbox.com/u/69319539/Grub splash how-to-rev2.odt

Also glennzo has made a great install script that will do the work for you!

Glennzo feel free to post your install script to help users install this package. I'll be in touch with the updates as soon as I have them completed.

Again THANK YOU GLENNZO for the install script.

I know this setup works on F17 but for F16 I can't really say as I have no F16 machine for testing. As I said in one of my posts you MUST be running Grub2 version 1.99 for this to work. So if you have this grub2 version it may or may not work in F16 since some things may or may not be applicable to your installation of grub 1.99 as reported by some testers.

Happy Splashing!!
I'll post the script over the weekend. I need to be absolutely sure it works perfectly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 10th April 2012, 08:50 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Here's a link to the tar file containing the installation script and an undo script. I wrote the undo script to automatically undo the changes made my the installation script so that I could test the installation script repeatedly. You can use the undo script if the installation script fails to provide the expected results. It will set things back to the original configuration.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63351838/grub_alt_theme.tar.gz

Use at your own risk. My testing seems to indicate that this script works reliably and will not cause your computer to explode. As always, no guarantees.

Tested on Fedora 17 using (GRUB) 2.00~beta2. Script written with Fedora 17 in mind and not tested on any previous release of Fedora or any other Linux distribution.

Feedback, positive and negative, is welcome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 25th April 2012, 06:30 PM
j0534ng31 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Feedback, positive and negative, is welcome.
Thank you for the script.

Some comments/feedback to the code:

----

Code:
# - Declare some variables. Shouldn't they be called "constants"? They don't change.
Answer:
No, they are variables because you can change their values (no matter if you did it along the script or not)...
But it can be done if you declare them as constants (to get an error if you try to change their values later on).
Code:
$ readonly TAR_FILE="starfield.tar.gz"
$ echo $TAR_FILE
starfield.tar.gz
$ TAR_FILE="test"
bash: TAR_FILE: read-only variable
----

Line 40: A simple typo
Code:
# - Check to see if the locate database file exists. On extremely new installs
# - this file does not yet exist. This will cause an erorr locating the
----

Code:
# - Change the default menu timeout. This only works is the default timeout
# - is in fact 5. Must be a way to change it to 30 no matter what is is set at.

sed -i 's/GRUB_TIMEOUT=5/GRUB_TIMEOUT=30/' $GRUB_FILE   # Change the default menu timeout
Answer:
While using sed:
- "." means any character.
- "*" means any number of repetitions of the last character (in this case, as is a ".", any character).
- "$" means until the End Of the Line (EOL).
Code:
sed -i 's/GRUB_TIMEOUT=.*$/GRUB_TIMEOUT=30/' $GRUB_FILE   # Change the default menu timeout
----

Code:
# - Need to figure out how to add code that will not insert
# - these lines if they already exist.

echo "GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm
GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/DejaVuSerif12.pf2
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt
" >> $GRUB_FILE
Answer:
- "grep -q" to search w/o output.
- "^" to especify that the line must begin with our string (and so, avoid existing comments "#"),...
- If the string is not found, then we write it.
Code:
grep -q '^GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm" >> $GRUB_FILE
grep -q '^GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/DejaVuSerif12.pf2' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/DejaVuSerif12.pf2" >> $GRUB_FILE
grep -q '^GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768" >> $GRUB_FILE
grep -q '^GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt" >> $GRUB_FILE
But I'd better do it this way, to also permit customizations in fonts, resolutions and themes:
Code:
grep -q '^GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm" >> $GRUB_FILE
grep -q '^GRUB_FONT=/boot/' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/DejaVuSerif12.pf2" >> $GRUB_FILE
grep -q '^GRUB_GFXMODE=' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768" >> $GRUB_FILE
grep -q '^GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/.*$' $GRUB_FILE  ||  echo "GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt" >> $GRUB_FILE
----

That's all!

Last edited by j0534ng31; 25th April 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:30 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

j0534ng31, thank you for the code help. It is immensely appreciated and will be incorporated into the script.

Did you give it a try?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25th April 2012, 07:38 PM
j0534ng31 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
j0534ng31, thank you for the code help. It is immensely appreciated and will be incorporated into the script.

Did you give it a try?
Sorry, no... I did it manually... following the jakebpg guide (thank you too ).

I see first the guide and later on your script, when it was already done!

One more thing, I would add it one more check after the "wget"... just to be sure that the theme file has been succesfully downloaded before making any changes.

Last edited by j0534ng31; 25th April 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 28th April 2012, 06:30 AM
jeffrey Offline

linuxfirefox

I followd the instructions in the file but this is the error I got
Generating grub.cfg ...
/sbin/grub2-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /boot/grub2/themes/DejaVuSerif.pf2.
/sbin/grub2-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for . Check your device.map.
Now what do I do?
Old 28th April 2012, 08:00 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Are you using BIOS raid?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28th April 2012, 08:34 AM
jeffrey Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Are you using BIOS raid?
No. All I did was follow the instructions for the themeing and at the end I got this error. I have two HDD's though. F17 is on sdb and so is grub

The error was in the /etc/default/grub file line GRUB_FONT. I had incorrectly entered:
Code:
GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/theme/DejaVuSerif.pf2
This is corrected to :
Code:
 GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/DejaVuSerif12.pf2
With this correction done I was able to do the last step to update grub.cfg but I got this -

Code:
/etc/grub.d/10_linux: line 92: [{CLASS}=--class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class fedora]: command not found

Last edited by jeffrey; 28th April 2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: found the error
Old 28th April 2012, 09:22 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

I would check that line in /etc/grub.d/10_linux for typos. Compare it to the instructions written by jakebp. As for the font error, I had problems with that too so I used LiberationSansRegular.ttf. Seems as though DejaVuSans works for you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28th April 2012, 10:18 AM
jeffrey Offline

linuxfirefox

I checked the line for typos and found the necessity of space in the [ ]. I rebooted and still no theme
Will your script help correct anything if I run it?
Old 28th April 2012, 10:39 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

It may. I've tested it for Fedora 17 only though. Not sure what release you're using. If you are running Fedora 17 and want to use the script you should first manually revert any changes made.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
&ltb&gt, grub, interested, splash