Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2086  
Old 27th March 2012, 02:17 PM
eudemus Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
linuxchrome
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Thanks. That's much appreciated.
  #2087  
Old 29th March 2012, 03:49 AM
LaKing Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Budapest
Posts: 320
linuxfirefox
F16 - 3.1.x kernel + nvidia

Hi Leigh, and everyone.

I need to get a 3.1.x kernel to work, since my Blackmagic Intensity Pro does not support kernels above yet.

Can someone give me any advice on how to do so?

If I boot my 3.1.0-7 kernel, the nvidia drivers don't run, .. probably because I have 290.10 nvidia driver?

However, I can not hunt down the right combination of packages - kernels and nvidia drivers.
Yum is failing in dependency resolution. I had official nvidia drivers installed, but that didn't work well. (100% CPU usage on one core, and freezing). I also attempted to build a custom kernel, but still no go.

Any advice appreciated.

Code:
 abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.7-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-headers-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-290.10-2.fc16.2.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64-285.05.09-1.fc16.4.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64-290.10-1.fc16.15.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64-290.10-2.fc16.2.x86_64
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.8-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-13.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-11.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-290.10-1.fc16.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64
3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia              12124066  30 
i2c_core               37991  2 nvidia,i2c_piix4
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 285.05.33  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-04.nvidia.com)  Thu Jan 19 14:30:23 PST 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "hu"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8600 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
__________________
D250 Laboratories
  #2088  
Old 29th March 2012, 08:40 AM
leepaul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: F16 - 3.1.x kernel + nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaKing View Post
Hi Leigh, and everyone.

I need to get a 3.1.x kernel to work, since my Blackmagic Intensity Pro does not support kernels above yet.

Can someone give me any advice on how to do so?

If I boot my 3.1.0-7 kernel, the nvidia drivers don't run, .. probably because I have 290.10 nvidia driver?

However, I can not hunt down the right combination of packages - kernels and nvidia drivers.
Yum is failing in dependency resolution. I had official nvidia drivers installed, but that didn't work well. (100% CPU usage on one core, and freezing). I also attempted to build a custom kernel, but still no go.

Any advice appreciated.

Code:
 abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.7-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-headers-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-290.10-2.fc16.2.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64-285.05.09-1.fc16.4.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64-290.10-1.fc16.15.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64-290.10-2.fc16.2.x86_64
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.8-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-13.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-11.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-290.10-1.fc16.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64
3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia              12124066  30 
i2c_core               37991  2 nvidia,i2c_piix4
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 285.05.33  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-04.nvidia.com)  Thu Jan 19 14:30:23 PST 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "hu"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8600 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Use akmod-nvidia


Code:
su
yum install akmod-nvidia
yum erase kmod-nvidia
akmods --kernels 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
  #2089  
Old 29th March 2012, 02:23 PM
LaKing Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Budapest
Posts: 320
linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Thank you, that worked.
__________________
D250 Laboratories
  #2090  
Old 30th March 2012, 02:49 PM
eudemus Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
linuxchrome
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Hi, another computer, another problem.

I have (eventually) upgraded to F16 using preupgrade. I *think* I'm using the nvidia driver for my GeForce 8600 GT (is there some way of checking?), but the resolution for my monitor isn't being detected. I've had the same issue previously (for some reason this monitor doesn't readily get detected), and usually have sorted it by adding things to xorg.conf such as the following:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 48.36-49.702
VertRefresh 59.81-60.00
Modeline "1280x768_60.00" 79.50 1280 1344 1472 1664 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x768_60.00"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x960" "1280x800" "1280x768" "10072x800" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]"
BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

When I've done this, it seems that when the xserver attempts to restart (e.g. by logging out), I get a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left - i.e. X never quite starts, and I never get to the graphical logon screen.


But I'm getting the impression that this kind of thing shouldn't really be done via xorg.conf any more, and I'm wondering what the correct way to do this is.

Cheers in advance for all assistance (this forum has saved my bacon on many an occasion). Much appreciated.
  #2091  
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:31 AM
lmcogs Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 249
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

hi

I have been using akmod-nvidia for long time now without problems but for past few weeks I am getting problems e.g
glxinfo
name of display: :0
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 137 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resource id in failed request: 0x4000003
Serial number of failed request: 34
Current serial number in output stream: 34
[leonc16@localhost ~]$ sudo glxinfo
name of display: :0
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 137 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resource id in failed request: 0x4000003
Serial number of failed request: 34
Current serial number in output stream: 34


I have kernel 3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64 and I think my graphics card is geforce GTS 450.

Any idea?

Last edited by lmcogs; 2nd April 2012 at 10:52 AM.
  #2092  
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:00 AM
tox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
windows_7chrome
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

have you updated to the latest 295.33 akmod
  #2093  
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:32 PM
lmcogs Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 249
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
have you updated to the latest 295.33 akmod

I have rpm -q akmod-nvidia
akmod-nvidia-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
  #2094  
Old 2nd April 2012, 04:40 PM
TrickyHarry Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South England
Posts: 39
linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
have you updated to the latest 295.33 akmod
I have a problem with the nvidia driver, glx support. This was working prior to my holidays, on my return I updated a few modules via the "yum update", performed from a working Cinnamon shell. The driver for this is that my GNOME Cinnamon shell broke, and this, with advice, pointed to my nvidia driver.

The problem was found on the nvidia-290.10 driver

On checking a short while ago, the nvidia-295.33 driver became available, and I though that this would have solved my issues, but afraid not. The kernel was also upgraded is now: 3.3.0.8

After a reboot:

The Persistant Issue:-
[PASTE]
[root@naipaulpc ~]# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 137 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resource id in failed request: 0x5000003
Serial number of failed request: 33
Current serial number in output stream: 33
[PASTE]

The basic environment info:
[PASTE]
[root@naipaulpc ~]# rpm -qa *\nvidia\* *\kernel\*|sort;uname -r;lsmod |grep -e nvidia -e nouveau;cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.7-2.fc16.x86_64
akmod-nvidia-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.2.9-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.2.9-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kernel-headers-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kernel-tools-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.2.9-2.fc16.x86_64-290.10-1.fc16.18.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.1.x86_64
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.8-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-15.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-13.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
nvidia 12281762 26
i2c_core 37991 3 nvidia,videodev,i2c_i801
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 295.33 (mockbuild@builder1.ovh.rpmfusion.lan) Sun Mar 25 14:14:04 CEST 2012

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 290.10 (mockbuild@) Wed Nov 23 22:25:15 CET 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "LEN L2251x Wide"
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro FX 880M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select @1600x1080 +0+0, CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1600+0"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1600+0, DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select @1600x1080 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

[PASTE]

The current xorg.conf was created today with the nvivia-xconfig utility.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyHarry View Post
I have a problem with the nvidia driver, glx support. This was working prior to my holidays, on my return I updated a few modules via the "yum update", performed from a working Cinnamon shell. The driver for this is that my GNOME Cinnamon shell broke, and this, with advice, pointed to my nvidia driver.

The problem was found on the nvidia-290.10 driver

On checking a short while ago, the nvidia-295.33 driver became available, and I though that this would have solved my issues, but afraid not. The kernel was also upgraded is now: 3.3.0.8

After a reboot:

The Persistant Issue:-
[PASTE]
[root@naipaulpc ~]# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 137 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resource id in failed request: 0x5000003
Serial number of failed request: 33
Current serial number in output stream: 33
[PASTE]

The basic environment info:
[PASTE]
[root@naipaulpc ~]# rpm -qa *\nvidia\* *\kernel\*|sort;uname -r;lsmod |grep -e nvidia -e nouveau;cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.7-2.fc16.x86_64
akmod-nvidia-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.2.9-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.2.9-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kernel-headers-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kernel-tools-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.2.9-2.fc16.x86_64-290.10-1.fc16.18.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.1.x86_64
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.8-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-15.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-13.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
3.3.0-8.fc16.x86_64
nvidia 12281762 26
i2c_core 37991 3 nvidia,videodev,i2c_i801
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 295.33 (mockbuild@builder1.ovh.rpmfusion.lan) Sun Mar 25 14:14:04 CEST 2012

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 290.10 (mockbuild@) Wed Nov 23 22:25:15 CET 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "LEN L2251x Wide"
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro FX 880M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select @1600x1080 +0+0, CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1600+0"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1600+0, DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select @1600x1080 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

[PASTE]

The current xorg.conf was created today with the nvivia-xconfig utility.
I have followed Leigh's advice and replaced the xorg.conf not with the newly created nvidia-xconfig but with a copy of the /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf

After a reboot, I no longer have the glxinfo issue.

Thanks very much Leigh for the additional instructions.
- Happy Bunny once more ....
  #2095  
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:29 PM
lmcogs Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 249
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Followed TrickyHarry's advise and added couple of things from 1st page to xorg.conf and now seems to work. Can now get back to World of Goo.

glxinfo
name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:

Strange because I did not touch xorg.conf lately.

Thanks
  #2096  
Old 8th April 2012, 08:03 PM
herryh Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Hi,

I guess I tried trick described in this thread, but there's no way I can get my F16 to work with my Nvidia card. Even worse, I can't even het into runlevel 3 (has this changed?). After the starting-bars I get a cursor flashing in the left upper corner of the main screen. So I am constantly logging into my system using another computer and making an ssh connection.

I had no problems whatsoever when running F14. The only reason why I upgraded was because of that nagging screen telling me to do so. I didn't get a screen after the upgrade, so apparently the nouveau drivers weren't even working. So I tried to install the kmod and akmod drivers, according to this thread. Eventually I had a semi-working config. But it missed certain options (like a shutdown button), so I tried again.

I fear I ****ed up big time, when "yum erasing" something, cos it erased a whole bunch of atuff (some 157 files) because of dependencies. And I guess I erased some important stuff with it.

Anyway, here is standard info of my current setup.

Code:
/usr/bin/glxinfo 
Error: unable to open display
Code:
rpm -qa *\nvidia\*  *\kernel\*|sort;uname -r;lsmod |grep -e nvidia -e nouveau;cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.7-2.fc16.x86_64
akmod-nvidia-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.1-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.1-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kernel-headers-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kernel-tools-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.1-2.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.2.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.8-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-15.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-13.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
nvidia              12281762  0 
i2c_core               37991  2 nvidia,i2c_piix4
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (mockbuild@)  Sun Feb 28 14:49:18 EST 2010

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
  #2097  
Old 8th April 2012, 09:42 PM
Yellowman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by herryh View Post
Hi,

I guess I tried trick described in this thread, but there's no way I can get my F16 to work with my Nvidia card. Even worse, I can't even het into runlevel 3 (has this changed?). After the starting-bars I get a cursor flashing in the left upper corner of the main screen. So I am constantly logging into my system using another computer and making an ssh connection.

I had no problems whatsoever when running F14. The only reason why I upgraded was because of that nagging screen telling me to do so. I didn't get a screen after the upgrade, so apparently the nouveau drivers weren't even working. So I tried to install the kmod and akmod drivers, according to this thread. Eventually I had a semi-working config. But it missed certain options (like a shutdown button), so I tried again.

I fear I ****ed up big time, when "yum erasing" something, cos it erased a whole bunch of atuff (some 157 files) because of dependencies. And I guess I erased some important stuff with it.

Anyway, here is standard info of my current setup.

Code:
/usr/bin/glxinfo 
Error: unable to open display
Code:
rpm -qa *\nvidia\*  *\kernel\*|sort;uname -r;lsmod |grep -e nvidia -e nouveau;cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.7-2.fc16.x86_64
akmod-nvidia-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.1-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.1-2.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kernel-headers-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kernel-tools-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.1-2.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.2.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64-295.33-2.fc16.x86_64
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.8-4.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-15.fc16.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-13.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-295.33-3.fc16.x86_64
3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
nvidia              12281762  0 
i2c_core               37991  2 nvidia,i2c_piix4
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (mockbuild@)  Sun Feb 28 14:49:18 EST 2010

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Gnome 3 has a hidden shutdown menu, try reinstalling it

Code:
su
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet#The_top_bar
  #2098  
Old 8th April 2012, 10:17 PM
herryh Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
Gnome 3 has a hidden shutdown menu, try reinstalling it

Code:
su
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet#The_top_bar
Thanks a huge lot man! This made my easter.
Still a lot to do as only one screen is working. But I'll get there...

A lot of these files, that got deleted, were re-installed, and when I rebooted I saw the dreaded cursor blinking again. But when I just finished sighing, Gnome emerged
  #2099  
Old 11th April 2012, 04:57 AM
secipolla Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 700
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

I'm using kernel 3.3.1-3.fc17.i686
After using Fedora for about two weeks, I found that this was the best way to install the NVIDIA driver. I guess I was lucky that this kernel wasn't a debug one (or is it?; I missed this point) because it kind of worked.

I ran the instructions for F16 (first post) for akmod-nvidia, rebooted, got a progress bar then when it was to load X the bar flicked about four times and nothing.
Then I had an inspiration to run nvidia-xconfig, rebooted and X loaded.
The problem is that I don't have GLX.

First particularity is that a while ago, while testing if the sgfxi script would work in Fedora, this script created an xorg.conf file. While using nouveau this file actually didn't interfere (as nouveau doesn't use it, I think) but I'm mentioning it because I don't know if this interfered when I installed the NVIDIA package.

/etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf is very small:
Code:
# RPM Fusion - nvidia-xorg.conf
# 
Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection
(proper xorg.conf created by nvidia-xconfig has normal size)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-nvidia.conf
Code:
#This file is provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
#Do not edit

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection
I'm thinking if maybe the system is just having trouble with finding the alternate path for libglx because ever since I installed Fedora it always fails to find/auto-complete executables in /usr/local/bin for instance (it actually finds them but I have to open different shell sessions, sometimes more than once until it 'gets it').

Here's the general info:
Code:
$ rpm -qa *\nvidia\*  *\kernel\*|sort;uname -r;lsmod |grep -e nvidia -e nouveau;cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.10-1.fc17.i686
akmod-nvidia-295.33-1.fc17.i686
kernel-3.3.0-5.fc17.i686
kernel-3.3.0-8.fc17.i686
kernel-3.3.1-3.fc17.i686
kernel-devel-3.3.0-8.fc17.i686
kernel-devel-3.3.1-3.fc17.i686
kernel-headers-3.3.1-3.fc17.i686
kmod-nvidia-3.3.1-3.fc17.i686-295.33-1.fc17.i686
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.10-2.fc17.i686
nvidia-settings-1.0-15.fc17.i686
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-13.fc17.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-295.33-1.fc17.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-295.33-1.fc17.i686
3.3.1-3.fc17.i686
nvidia              10929059  24 
i2c_core               28180  2 i2c_viapro,nvidia
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 295.33  (mockbuild@builder1.ovh.rpmfusion.lan)  Thu Mar 22 20:09:24 CET 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    Screen      2  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath        "catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d"
    FontPath        "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "dri2"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName      "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName      "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor2"
    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName      "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"

        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz",
        ### <percent>: "<f>%"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"            	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"           	# <i>
        #Option     "WrappedFB"          	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "GLXVBlank"          	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ZaphodHeads"        	# <str>
        #Option     "PageFlip"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "SwapLimit"          	# <i>
    Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"

        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz",
        ### <percent>: "<f>%"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"             	# <str>
        #Option     "fbdev"              	# <str>
        #Option     "debug"              	# [<bool>]
    Identifier     "Card1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"

        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz",
        ### <percent>: "<f>%"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "DefaultRefresh"     	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen" 	# [<bool>]
    Identifier     "Card2"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Card0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Card1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen2"
    Device         "Card2"
    Monitor        "Monitor2"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

[sergio@athlon1700 ~]$
Thank you.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

The error in Xorg0.log is:
Code:
[    22.546] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
[    22.546] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
[    22.546] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
[    22.546] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
[    22.546] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.


---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

I see that xorg-X11-nvidia-libs installs the libs in /usr/lib/nvidia but it keeps the libs from mesa-libGL in /usr/lib/libGL.so.1*
Maybe it's this that's conflicting?
I'll rename the ones from mesa-libGL to test.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Leigh, I renamed /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so and linked the one from nvidia to its place and also renamed /usr/lib/LibGL.so.1* and linked the one from nvidia to /usr/lib/LibGL.so.1 and now GLX is working.
I'll try it out but I suspect the latter is the one that was conflicting so if it's the case then xorg-X11-nvidia-libs should rename the mesa-libGL libs and then restore in case of un-installation.
  #2100  
Old 11th April 2012, 12:59 PM
secipolla Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 700
linuxfirefox
Re: F16,F15 & F14 Nvidia driver guides

So basically an extra step is needed after the 1st page how-to:
Code:
# mv /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.old
# mv /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2.old
# mv /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.old
The xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs provide that their libs are found by the system but the ones from xorg-x11-server-Xorg (libglx.so) and mesa-libGL (libGL.so.1*) need to be renamed to get out of the way. This must be done every time those packages are updated, I suppose.

I don't know why I had to generate a new xorg.conf manually, though. I suppose it's because I already had one and X prefers xorg.conf to nvidia-xorg.conf (supposing it actually parses the latter).
Closed Thread

Tags
drivers, fedora 14, fedora 15, fedora 16, guide, nvidia

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rescue after failed nvidia driver install? restore nouveau or basic video driver? Icm76 Using Fedora 11 14th January 2012 04:23 AM
Nvidia set up guides. sepoto Using Fedora 2 5th March 2011 06:11 AM
nVidia Driver Guides & Autoten: Thanks! Hobashira Fedora Focus 0 12th November 2010 08:29 AM
msi n220gt series not working with Nvidia driver guides top of page davidvandoren Hardware & Laptops 0 7th September 2010 07:52 PM
FC11 nVidia No Sound After RPMFusion nVidia Driver Load basimmer Using Fedora 0 16th October 2009 01:46 AM


Current GMT-time: 02:50 (Thursday, 27-11-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
London - Gouda Goverwelle railway station Travel Photos - Tungabadra Dam Hospet Travel Photos