Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th March 2012, 07:07 AM
geion Offline

linuxchrome
Much longer shut down time on 3.3

On my 2x64 2300 Athlon is shutting down in about 5 seconds with 3.2.7-1 and 12 seconds with newest 3.3.0-4 plain! It takes forever to display those umnount messages in the end and it displays ony a few at a time as opposed to all in one continous move on the older kernel. By the way, akmod-nvidia has to be updated to work with the newer kernel, but when i deleted the newer kernel it still works! Then why it has to install the newer kernel from @anaconda repository if i updated akmod-nvidia, of course with the --nogpgkey option from the free and non free repos? And by the way, it sends that signal to shut down processes in the end twice, a few secconds appart! akmod-nvidia latest version works only if i choose the older kernel from the boot menu but if uninstall it nvidia wants to be uninstalled as well...

Last edited by geion; 29th March 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 29th March 2012, 08:08 AM
leepaul

linuxfirefox
Re: Much longer shut down time on 3.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geion View Post
On my 2x64 2300 Athlon is shutting down in about 5 seconds with 3.2.7-1 and 12 seconds with newest 3.3.0-4 plain! It takes forever to display those umnount messages in the end and it displays ony a few at a time as opposed to all in one continous move on the older kernel. By the way, akmod-nvidia has to be updated to work with the newer kernel, but when i deleted the newer kernel it still works! Then why it has to install the newer kernel from @anaconda repository if i updated akmod-nvidia, of course with the --nogpgkey option from the free and non free repos? And by the way, it sends that signal to shut down processes in the end twice, a few secconds appart! akmod-nvidia latest version works only if i choose the older kernel from the boot menu but if uninstall it nvidia wants to be uninstalled as well...
It was updated a few days ago to work with the new kernel

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...od-nvidia.html
Old 29th March 2012, 08:23 AM
geion Offline

linuxchrome

That much i know already.
Old 29th March 2012, 08:31 AM
leepaul

linuxfirefox

Quote:
That much i know already.
Did you try the newer version as well?

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...od-nvidia.html

Code:
su
yum --enablerepo rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing update *\nvidia\*
Old 29th March 2012, 08:57 AM
geion Offline

linuxchrome

I think you don't understand what i'm trying to say. On my computer the latest kernel does not work without the latest nvidia. The opposite is true only if i remove the kernel, but if i choose not to load it from the menu, it works with kernel 3.2.7. They work fine, the problem is at shut down, it takes much longer to shut down with the latest kernel, 3.3 and i has to send the SIGTERM twice, after the first one nothing happens, it sits there a few seconds then sends another one then it starts shutting down but much slower then with the 3.2.7 version. Of course i have that repo enabled. I wish i didn't have to. I cannot update anything from that repo without the --gpgcheck option. That means among other things that i cannot use automatic updates because it stops on an error, not finding the gpg key. And when i tried and updated nvdidia the last time it went and updated the kernel as well but not from the fedora updates but from the @anaconda repo. Anyways, i tried and updated the kernel again from fedora updates, with the same results. I already uninstalled it as there is something strange going on with the shut down time.

Last edited by geion; 29th March 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:33 AM
leepaul

linuxfirefox

Technically there is no @anaconda repo
@anaconda repo is just a reference to the packages from the install media.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:02 PM
geion Offline

linuxchrome

OK so it downloaded it from the right repo but when i had to answer the question Yes/No when I updated with yum i saw @anaconda instead of fedora updates in the repository column. But i downloaded again from fedora updates.

My problem is why is doing the things i described above twice and if it's ok. If it does make any sense. Can anybody reproduce what i'm describing here?

For know and i don't know for how long, i'l stay with 3.2.7 and the older nvidia driver.

Last edited by geion; 29th March 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:55 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

For me, when I upgraded to kernel-3.3.0-4 on my desktop PC, I noticed right away longer boot times than on any of the previous 3.2.x kernels. I posted about this asking if anyone else was seeing the same thing. The answers I got were, basically, no. On my older laptop, the 3.3.0-4 kernel didn't show nearly as much of a significant boot time increase as it did on the desktop PC, but there was still a measurable increase when comparing the boot times using the "systemd-analyze blame" and "systemd-analyze time" commands.

On shutdown, I haven't noticed enough of a longer delay on the 3.3.0-4 kernel on the desktop PC to warrant looking into it, but subjectively, it is a wee bit longer in my perception over the 3.2.x kernels. One of the things I noted in your comment about the slow shutdown time was the un-mounting of disk drives. How many partitions do you have mounted? Are you mounting network drives/partitions at boot up?

On my desktop PC I have 3 internal hhd's. I have a start up script that tells the two mostly little used hdd's (sdb and sdc) to spin-down after 10 minutes of no use. When I shut down the computer, in order for the shutdown process to "umount" the two "sleeping" hdd's, they have to be woken up (spun up), which adds a little bit of time to the whole shut down process (yeah, wake up so I can put you to bed). Could anything like this be relevant on your system?
Old 29th March 2012, 06:39 PM
leepaul

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
For me, when I upgraded to kernel-3.3.0-4 on my desktop PC, I noticed right away longer boot times than on any of the previous 3.2.x kernels. I posted about this asking if anyone else was seeing the same thing. The answers I got were, basically, no. On my older laptop, the 3.3.0-4 kernel didn't show nearly as much of a significant boot time increase as it did on the desktop PC, but there was still a measurable increase when comparing the boot times using the "systemd-analyze blame" and "systemd-analyze time" commands.

On shutdown, I haven't noticed enough of a longer delay on the 3.3.0-4 kernel on the desktop PC to warrant looking into it, but subjectively, it is a wee bit longer in my perception over the 3.2.x kernels. One of the things I noted in your comment about the slow shutdown time was the un-mounting of disk drives. How many partitions do you have mounted? Are you mounting network drives/partitions at boot up?

On my desktop PC I have 3 internal hhd's. I have a start up script that tells the two mostly little used hdd's (sdb and sdc) to spin-down after 10 minutes of no use. When I shut down the computer, in order for the shutdown process to "umount" the two "sleeping" hdd's, they have to be woken up (spun up), which adds a little bit of time to the whole shut down process (yeah, wake up so I can put you to bed). Could anything like this be relevant on your system?

I didn't notice any difference

Code:
$ systemd-analyze time
Startup finished in 2875ms (kernel) + 1483ms (initramfs) + 6467ms (userspace) = 10826ms

Last edited by leepaul; 29th March 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 07:35 PM
geion Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post

I see a bunch of unmount messages, i don't know, 10 or 20 with both kernels and i usually don't have any non linux partition mounted at shutdown. Boot time didn't change just shut down time, went for about 5 seconds to 12, as i mentioned, with 3.3. i see SIGTERM message twice, with a significant pause of several seconds and nothing written between them, and then, the same messages that fly on the screen before the screen goes blank with 3.2.7 and lingering enough time to read them and see they are unmount messages with 3.3, (never payed attention to those before.) Thinking about taking pictures of the screen, don't have any other ideeas how to read those...

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepaul View Post
I didn't notice any difference

Code:
$ systemd-analyze time
Startup finished in 2875ms (kernel) + 1483ms (initramfs) + 6467ms (userspace) = 10826ms
Something going on here

with currently 3.2.7, as i said earlier i gave up 3.3

Startup finished in 841ms (kernel) + 4291ms (initramfs) + 14499ms (userspace) = 19632ms

I would have to reinstall 3.3 to see but it's about the same (when i don't have anything to do, i count seconds, when i boot the computer! )

and shutdown is about 5 seconds with 3.2.7 and 12 with 3.3
Old 31st March 2012, 01:04 AM
geion Offline

linuxchrome

Cannot get rid of 3.3, it's a security update, cannot live those unchecked in software update preferences.
Old 1st April 2012, 04:43 PM
geion Offline

linuxchrome

Anybody commenting about my initramfs and userspace time?

I took two pictures of the shutdown messages, however i am not fast enough to get everything. Shouldn't all these messages be in a log somewhere?

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos...50EE73E4%21349
Old 5th April 2012, 02:58 PM
PascalC Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Anybody commenting about my initramfs and userspace time?

I took two pictures of the shutdown messages, however i am not fast enough to get everything. Shouldn't all these messages be in a log somewhere?

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos...50EE73E4%21349
Hello,

this issue is identified :
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=806548

Maybe you can register bugzilla redhat and report your hardware with smolt; it may help the kernel dev to find a solution.

And then you can perhaps validate its solution for hardware different from my own
Old 5th April 2012, 11:29 PM
geion Offline

linuxchrome

OK my shutdown time went down to 8 seconds all by itself just like that, don't see how my initramfs time compared to others' is a bug, and yesterday i finally went through my processes after a few month since i installed it (never thought i would have to with Fedora) with gnome-session-properties and removed a bunch of miners, trackers, Orca screen reader and one which was called Files, just like that with no description, most of those didn't have any, all this in a April March madness access, and sincerely thought my computer is not going to reboot after that, but surprisingly enough it all works better, even Chrome is happier in its sandbox with 0.5 seconds start time after first cache that takes a few seconds, anybody please tell me those processes where legitimate or not, one of them was a tracker miner for flickr i don't remember installing or accepting. Really sorry i didn't write down what I've done, maybe next time when i install it i will look right away. And my IRC clients started finally working on undernet but still don't on one network. There is still a process something with social networking that i don't know how to remove. Maybe i will re-install Fedora 16 after all. Second time is allways better.

Last edited by geion; 5th April 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:30 AM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

selinux may have something to do with it. I was shutting down in less than two seconds (without selinux) and now I'm taking more than a minute to shutdown (selinux in enforcing mode).
It's been like that for maybe the last three poweroffs so my stronger guess is that selinux has something to do with it.
But I'll try to observe other variables.

Tags
longer, shut, time