Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2012, 01:05 PM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox
Black screen,kde

after updates today sunday march 18th 8:00am est new york.It seems everything is working but the kde desktop.I can bring up programs with atl+f2 but that is it.the whole desktop is a black screen except for the new activity button on the right and the little square with red green and blue dots on the left.I tried to use yum extender to undo the updates but it did some things on the screen and then nothing same problem black screen.Can some one tell me how to revert these upates to get a working desktop

Thanks

forgot running fedora 16 64 bit kde

Last edited by b4time; 18th March 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 19th March 2012, 03:54 AM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox
Re: Black screen,kde

well I tried the nvidia driver no luck tried an older kernal no luck even did a complete reinstall and after updates i get the dreaded black screen.This has to be in kde some where as there were a ton of kde updates when I updated the first time.Any one know how to trouble shoot kde?thanks for any help.
Old 19th March 2012, 06:10 PM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox

added gnome 3 works fine.kde still broken from updates.maybe some one will correct this with updates.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:08 AM
csmart Offline

linuxfirefox

Try moving your .kde directory out of the way.

mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-broken

Then log out and into KDE again.
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:07 PM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmart View Post
Try moving your .kde directory out of the way.

mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-broken

Then log out and into KDE again.
That is exactly what he needs to do.

Sounds like his kde profile got corrupted.

After logging back in kde will recreate all the necessary files, but in order to get back the data that will be lost, like kde pim data he'll have to mv those files back into the newly created .kde profile.

He can even do it the easy way if he has allowed root log in from the system settings loggin applet. Just login as root, navigate to your home directory and rename .kde to .kde.old as to not lose any data that it contains. Reboot, login and the new .kde should be created then simply move the data files from .kde.old into the new ,kde profile.
Old 25th March 2012, 11:45 PM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox

Tried that(kde file). had no effect.I was running a spin of fedora(kororaa 16) .I thought they were the same except for the extra programs that came with it.they are not I guess.I installed fedora 16 64 and all is well.I'm prety sure it was an selinux problem because I was getting warnings but who knows.I clicked ignore and forgot about it so I think that could of been it.Any way All is still well kind of I ran a whole 3 days problem free then we got another update.Nothing is broken I just get bug warnings when I boot or log off and log on.I'm going to hang for a while and see if updates clears this up before I post lol nothing is really broken as far as I knnow.thanks for the help people.

Last edited by b4time; 25th March 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:35 PM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4time View Post
Tried that(kde file). had no effect.I was running a spin of fedora(kororaa 16) .I thought they were the same except for the extra programs that came with it.they are not I guess.I installed fedora 16 64 and all is well.I'm prety sure it was an selinux problem because I was getting warnings but who knows.I clicked ignore and forgot about it so I think that could of been it.Any way All is still well kind of I ran a whole 3 days problem free then we got another update.Nothing is broken I just get bug warnings when I boot or log off and log on.I'm going to hang for a while and see if updates clears this up before I post lol nothing is really broken as far as I knnow.thanks for the help people.
Did you rename a file or an entire directory? You need to rename the entire directory and should do it through a root logon, not while logged on as the user having the problem.

Another thing I just ran into this in a vm that exhibited this same problem and it turned out to be the plymouth splash that was causing it.

When you boot and see the splash come up hit the esc key, or the down arrow key to hide the plymouth splash and see if that fixes it for you.

The other errors really have nothing to do with the video and you can disable selinux if you wish to stop those errors from annoying you all the time.
yum install policycoreutils-gui
Once installed open the gui and simple disable selinux and the errors will be gone.

Tags
black, kde, screen