Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th March 2012, 11:48 PM
recondite Offline

windows_7ie
[solved] Just installed F16, then got DISK BOOT FAILURE

When installing F16 from the DVD, with the install disk in the DVD drive, I get errors like this:

usbhid [version number] couldn't find interrupt endpoint
ata1 .... device not ready
ata1 .... device not ready

It proceeds despite the error and then during the install I get "no usable disks found".

The hard disk I am trying to install F16 on is formatted as ext4 and plugged into the SATA0 socket on my MB. SATA1 is connected to my DVD drive.

I just formatted the disk an hour ago using a F13 system so the disk itself should be OK.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

By the say, ata1 maybe should say sata1, the message could be getting chopped of on left side of my monitor.

Can someone please tell me what usbhid is?

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

The "usbhid" error went away after I removed a KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) switch, but I still cannot install F16.

To be more precise, the error is "ata1 softreset failed (device not ready)".

It repeats that message 3-4 times then says "giving up" and runs anaconda which says "no usable disks found" and forces me to go back (which is useless) or exit the installer. After exiting it says "Starting graphical installation" and then hangs.

Last edited by recondite; 28th March 2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: to mark solved
Old 25th March 2012, 04:25 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 usbbid cant find interrupt endpoint; no usable disk found

in your system BIOS, check to make certain that you have your SATA controller set to use AHCI mode instead of IDE mode.
Old 25th March 2012, 10:38 AM
recondite Offline

windows_7ie

Well, I did what you suggested and I think that fixed my main problem because I was then able to install F16, which was great, so thanks a lot. Solved a big headache.

The main problem now is that after chaning it from IDE to AHCI the computer boots so fast I don't have time to press F9 to go into the BIOS, but that sounds like another thread, so I'll mark this solved.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Well, maybe I should mark it unsolved because my computer is acting up again! Now I get BOOT DISK FAILURE. Perphaps F16 was never properly installed. My computer can no longer find the disk.

I suspect that my BIOS settings could be all messed up or I need a new hard disk.

I still get "ata1 softreset failed (device not ready)" when I try to install from the DVD. I tried using a different port on the mother board and a new SATA cable but neither worked.
Old 28th March 2012, 04:19 AM
recondite Offline

linuxfirefox

Someone told me to check all the cables and the SATA ports on the MB and I did and all was fine. I ruled out everything but the hard drive. I bought a new hard drive and it is working fine. The system appears seems be to be fixed. I think using AHCI mode instead of IDE mode was also helpful. Thanks.

Tags
disk, endpoint, f16, interrupt, usable, usbbid