Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 22nd March 2012, 03:06 AM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

windows_7firefox
Re: Tom's Hardware Review

Something i like to play around every now and then, is a combination of 'common DE elements'.
Such as E16 using Lxpanel.
Or Xfce using Openbox.

The usage of apps like GIMP in LXDE, xfce, e16 or where ever, is very simple...
Install the proper deps, and it runs smooth!
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:20 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
most Gnome application run fine in LXDE. I have been using XFCE as well, trying to find me new permanent desktop environment and completely get rid of Gnome.
Yeah, I am going to hang on to Debian 6 as long as possible. Then make the move to LXDE or Xfce.
It will be an adjustment, but not the major new learn - relearn - undo - redo that is Gnome 3

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
The usage of apps like GIMP in LXDE, xfce, e16 or where ever, is very simple...
Install the proper deps, and it runs smooth!
Appreciate the feedback.
I have had no issue with Xfce and the applications I use in Gnome 2. I am not experienced with LXDE. Have to give it a try
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:24 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Threads merged.
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:51 AM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
most Gnome application run fine in LXDE.
I am slightly concerned about the application menu feature being pushed in 3.4 onwards, although traditional menu-bars will be supported for the foreseeable. As I understand it, the new menus are based on DBus, so panel applets could be written for other desktops, but hopefully nothing will require application menus to actually be useful.
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:04 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I really haven't checked much into that.

I will have to investigate it farther and see what will be affected by that change. If it's going to affect much, that might push me on over to Xfce instead of LXDE, though.
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:22 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

Hmm, I find it hard to believe that anybody is actually using Gnome3, so who is doing all the complaining?
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:44 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfsck View Post
Hmm, I find it hard to believe that anybody is actually using Gnome3, so who is doing all the complaining?
There appears to be hope for those of us who appreciated Gnome 2 DE. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS will have the availability of Gnome Panel (Gnome fallback) for install from their software center. Gnome Panel is an enhanced version of Gnome fallback with most of the functionality and familiarity of Gnome 2. After install from the software center, you choose Gnome Classic from the login screen. I have not had a chance to test Ubuntu 12.04, so this is information from various reviews of the future release. So not sure how close to Gnome 2, Gnome Panel is.

Given that Ubuntu is based on Debian, my hope is that Debian 7 will have a nice functioning form of Gnome Classic. Hopefully a suitable replacement for Debian 6 when it reaches EOL.
Old 31st March 2012, 11:46 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel

Update: It appears fallback mode is just that, a temporary state in the transitions to Gnome 3. From what I have researched, fallback will not be supported down the road in Fedora or Debian. And most likely Ubuntu Unity will phase out it's Gnome Classic (fallback) aswell.

So I guess adapt to Gnome 3 or look to Xfce.
Old 31st March 2012, 02:08 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

well, after a year of trying to adapt to Gnome 3's crappy ways of doing some things, it's just not working out for me.

It's a shame that a person that has been using Gnome for 13+ years is able to be more productive in 5 minutes on a desktop they have never used before than they can on the one they have been using for years.

I am still undecided on the best route for me to go, though. Do I stay at Fedora 14 on my main system? Do I look at a different distro? Or do I switch to Xfce or LXDE?

Until I decide, my main system is sitting here with F14, even though it's now EOL.
Old 31st March 2012, 02:39 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
I am still undecided on the best route for me to go, though. Do I stay at Fedora 14 on my main system? Do I look at a different distro? Or do I switch to Xfce or LXDE?

Until I decide, my main system is sitting here with F14, even though it's now EOL.
I faced a similar dilemma. I disliked Gnome Shell strongly but had generally enjoyed Fedora for every release from FC1 to F14. I decided that Scientific Linux with Gnome 2 was the best solution for my needs and have been very happy with it for the last couple of months. It's much like F12/F13 with a few additions. With judicious use of add-on repos, I have everything that I had in F14, even Stellarium. I'm running Firefox 11 and Chrome 18 as browsers, Compiz Fusion as the compositor, Conky and a few other bits and pieces - all without issue.

I see nothing compelling about Gnome Shell (and a whole lotta problems) whereas Gnome 2 still meets my needs quite well.
Old 31st March 2012, 02:45 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I may give Scientific Linux a try. I have seen quite a lot about it, but never tried it here as I was always happy with Fedora.

It will probably be the same thing with it in it's next release, though. It's a longer term release, but I bet they go with Gnome 3 in the next release. But, at least 6.2 is supported until Nov 2017, so it has a lot of life left in it.
Old 31st March 2012, 03:00 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
But, at least 6.2 is supported until Nov 2017, so it has a lot of life left in it.
2020 now, if they follow Red Hat.
Old 31st March 2012, 03:05 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Uh, guys...have you tried Gnome3 with MATE (or Cinnamon)? Both approximate Gnome2 and probably are good alternatives to switching distros.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 31st March 2012, 03:17 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox

Gave up on Gnome 3.

Tried cinnamon - but it was too erratic, but shows promise. Had gnome3 started with that instead, it would very likely be usable now.

I have no problem with the toolkit used though, just what it was wasted on.

I use LXDE now.
Old 31st March 2012, 03:38 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Uh, guys...have you tried Gnome3 with MATE (or Cinnamon)? Both approximate Gnome2 and probably are good alternatives to switching distros.
I tried cinnamon, but it is still Gnome 3 with the bugs underneath. It is better and easier to use than the Gnome 3 shell, but still, underneath, it's still Gnome 3.

I agree with jpollard. If the Gnome team had started trying to make something like cinnamon is, then Gnome 3 would probably be fairly usable by now.