Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:56 AM
Vansolrick Offline

linuxfirefox
Problem installing Catalyst 12.2

Hi everyone! I've decided to attempt installing the catalyst 12.2 driver for my HD4870. First of all, I want to say that the open source driver works very well. However, it prevents me from launching a game due to a missing shader (GLSL) that Catalyst has.

Here is my current kernel
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux pattypc 3.2.10-3.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 19:39:46 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I have kernel-devel, kernel-headers and gcc, and gcc-c++ installed.

So I began the install by going down to run level 3 (for safety) and executed the install shell script.

When I execute the driver installer shell script, it runs through the install process, but then pops up a message saying that there was a problem installing the driver. When I check the log file (which I don't think I have after uninstalling the driver), it said that it couldn't make the fglrx kernel module.

Is there something that I'm missing? I have not had any success and I know the akmod driver in rpmfusion will not work (because they're older?). I would really like to have catalyst working otherwise I can't even launch the game.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Ok sorry for posting this without doing some more reading first. I solved this issue by installing and building akmod-catalyst. I used information and a fix from this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=277547

Please join me in the 'No thread left behind' Act, the quest to leave no thread left unanswered

Tags
122, catalyst, installing, problem