Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th March 2012, 12:08 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox
Problem with distorted system sound

Having got my PC back from warranty repair I have a new motherboard. I now find that sound is not working as it should. System sounds play with considerable distortion but most other sounds like using my TV card or sound on some firefox pages like Dilbert animation and the BBC website are fine, some sound effects like background music on some webpages play with the distortion. None of this happens when I dual boot to Windows XP where all sounds I have tried are perfect.

I am running F16 and it is fully updated as of yesterday. The m/b is an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO with on board sound, I also have an ATI HD4350 video card with HDMI sound on it but this is not setup as the default sound card.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong with the Linux setup here please? As I said XP sound works fine so it's not a hardware problem.

Stuart
Old 20th March 2012, 01:20 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox
Re: Problem with distorted system sound

Click the volume icon in the top-bar and run "Sound Settings", and check everything looks reasonable. In particular, check the volume slider is at 100 %. It's not happened to me for a while, but in the past new installs or new hardware sometimes caused Pulse to set the volume way above 100 %, which caused a lot of distortion.
Old 20th March 2012, 03:03 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

I have tried changing the volume but to no avail. All the settings seem OK I have played around with most and tried various things but nothing has so far fixed the problem.

Stuart

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

I just changed one more thing, the order of backend in audio settings from gstreamer to vlc and back again and after logging out and back in so far the distortion has gone. Now to see what happens on next reboot to see if it has solved it permanently.

Stuart
Old 20th March 2012, 03:20 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

I've been noticing that KDE returns from suspend to ram mode with an annoying 'machine gun' style clicking. A work around is to toggle the KDE volume widget's mute button .

Tags
distorted, problem, sound