<---- template headericclude ----->
F16 - Can't browse.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F16 - Can't browse.

I installed Fedora 16 (amd64) on a new HP p7-1220 desktop computer, on a second hard disk, and it seems to be mostly okay, except for one big problem: I can't browse to web sites outside my local network.

(I posted some of this on a different subforum, where it was misplaced, and I'm repeating it here. I hope that's okay.)

Here is what I've done to try to diagnose or fix the problem:
    • ping to my local router works, and ping to a named non-local server works (e.g. lists.fedoraproject.org).
    • I could download software during installation, and I can download new programs now -- I downloaded the Midori GTK browser.
    • Firefox seems to be working normally, except that I can't browse to any non-local site -- I get the message "Firefox can't find a server at ...". But I can browse to the web page of my router on my local network, giving its IP numbered address.
    • I changed Firefox's proxy setting to "no proxy" (I don't go through a proxy). Didn't help.
    • Midori seems to have exactly the same problem as Firefox. I tried changing its proxy setting to "no proxy" also. Didn't help.
    • The IP numbers given for the network interface info for my address, DNS, etc., are what I expect -- I don't see a problem.
    • I also have an Ubuntu system on this computer (I'm using it now) which doesn't have any such problem with browsing.
    Greg

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F16 - Can't browse.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLee
    I installed Fedora 16 (amd64) on a new HP p7-1220 desktop computer, on a second hard disk, and it seems to be mostly okay, except for one big problem: I can't browse to web sites outside my local network.

(I posted some of this on a different subforum, where it was misplaced, and I'm repeating it here. I hope that's okay.)

Here is what I've done to try to diagnose or fix the problem:
    • ping to my local router works, and ping to a named non-local server works (e.g. lists.fedoraproject.org).
    • I could download software during installation, and I can download new programs now -- I downloaded the Midori GTK browser.
    • Firefox seems to be working normally, except that I can't browse to any non-local site -- I get the message "Firefox can't find a server at ...". But I can browse to the web page of my router on my local network, giving its IP numbered address.
    • I changed Firefox's proxy setting to "no proxy" (I don't go through a proxy). Didn't help.
    • Midori seems to have exactly the same problem as Firefox. I tried changing its proxy setting to "no proxy" also. Didn't help.
    • The IP numbers given for the network interface info for my address, DNS, etc., are what I expect -- I don't see a problem.
    • I also have an Ubuntu system on this computer (I'm using it now) which doesn't have any such problem with browsing.
    see post #4 in this thread
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=274844

basically this sets the 'network.dns.disableIPv6' in Firefox to true
    so it can use your ipv4 dns correctly

A quick way to test this is the problem is to try a different browser like Chromium or konqueror,
    if they work on your Fedora but Firefox doesn't, then the disableipv6 is likely the problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F16 - Can't browse.

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    basically this sets the 'network.dns.disableIPv6' in Firefox to true
    so it can use your ipv4 dns correctly
    That worked. I'm posting now using F16. Thanks.

I checked the configuration of my wired interface, and the IPV6 section is set to "ignore".
    Greg