Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2012, 03:52 PM
rickhunt Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
YUM Help...Fedora Newbie :-)

Hi all, new to Fedora 16...I installed it on a friends computer and wanted it on a flash drive so I can familiarize myself with it more.

I was updating the software on the flash drive using software management but was not on my computer and had to abort because I had to leave.

Now when I try to access software management, it attempts to load updates and gives me an error saying "Failed to initialize, may be in use by another program..please run yum-complete-transaction as root."

Ok, when I do that, it says one outstanding transaction with 706 elements left to run.

It goes through a huge process and then returns me to root as if it completed but still when I try to run software management it tells me the same thing.

I have tried Yum Clean All and that says cleaning up everything but still the same error from software management

Is there a way to either clear it, or finish the update process?

from the command line I can do yum check-updates and it shows all the updates
when I do yum check it shows there are a bunch of duplicate packages

I typed yum install all and it started doing something but not sure thats what I want...will that install the updates or all packages?

Any help is appreciated.
I am running Fedora 16 KDE from a usb stick.

Normally I run PcLinux 2012 KDE, but I like the look of Fedora and want to get to know it better.
Thanks
Rick
Old 3rd March 2012, 05:15 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: YUM Help...Fedora Newbie :-)

try running (as root)

Code:
yum-complete-transaction
You may run into problems with it since you ran a yum clean all and deleted the downloaded packages, but it might download them again for you.
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:14 PM
rickhunt Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah I tried it as root the first time, before I did a yum clean...and now even after doing a yum clean there is still always 1 outstanding transaction that it won't complete...it acts like it does, but its always still there.

even tried logging out and logging in as root user, not just by doing the su command. still no luck.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:24 PM
kurtdriver Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Have you tried rebooting the computer? If another program has the yum lock, that ought to release it.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:53 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Try this

Quote:
yum-complete-transaction --cleanup-only
I think this would just clean out the bad transaction(s), you'd need to redo the update to get the ones missed
Old 6th March 2012, 02:04 PM
rickhunt Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah, rebooting definitely doesn't work....I think thats one disadvantage of Persistent changes...when you screw something up, its not fixed by rebooting LOL

I might try the yum-complete-transaction --cleanup-only if that doesn't work, Im thinking I will just redo the flash drive from the original ISO and only get the updates I want ie firefox, flash and Java. I don't think I need every update available on a usb drive :-) I just want a functional live usb system to tinker around with.

I did notice in all the output from running yum-complete-transaction there are missing dependencies, I think thats why it can't complete the transaction, so maybe cleanup only will work...it says I can try skipping broken packages.
Old 6th March 2012, 08:47 PM
kurtdriver Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

There's another way around this, I've had this experience myself and don't recall how I dealt with it, maybe like this?

Tags
helpfedora, newbie, yum