Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2012, 04:43 PM
shanx Offline

windows_7chrome
Cool Problem installing Fedora 16, please HELP!!

every time while the packages are being installed, between 50-70% of installation, the laptop ABRUPTLY goes off

i am trying to dual boot it with wondows 7(already installed)
i am not using LVM(500- /boot.....22gb- root.....4.5gb- swap....no home)

previously when, fedora was working, i installed ati propietry driver, sys didnt start after reboot, then i read somewhere that ati is not compatible, so this time i am gonna work with default inbuilt fedora standard driver
Old 4th March 2012, 07:03 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Problem installing Fedora 16, please HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanx View Post
every time while the packages are being installed, between 50-70% of installation, the laptop ABRUPTLY goes off
Before I go any further, have you checked if the laptop was getting heated up and so it swtiched off.

I have a Toshiba laptop with AMD processor that did EXACTLY the same thing. I worked around the problem by ensuring that it does not get heated up too much ... Is this the case with your computer?
Old 4th March 2012, 08:20 PM
shanx Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Before I go any further, have you checked if the laptop was getting heated up and so it swtiched off.

I have a Toshiba laptop with AMD processor that did EXACTLY the same thing. I worked around the problem by ensuring that it does not get heated up too much ... Is this the case with your computer?
yes, lately its getting much heated up, atleast more than before...maytimes i keep my lappy on for 2-3 days continuously
it has been my habit for past two months

but it doesn't switch off abruptly when i work on windows, its happely only and when the packages are installed, then in just next boot i always get the message after dell(boot) logo that 'my battery is not recognised and hardware will not be able to charge it', but after rebooting it works

does installing OS(packages) causes more heating up

Last edited by shanx; 4th March 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 4th March 2012, 09:30 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

In my experience, yes. I had most of these problems mainly when installing using CD. I believe it not just installation but just higher processor activity. Again, in my experience, I was able to install the operating system using USB.

This may or may not be the same in your case though. If you do think, it is heating, try using USB for installation ... Just a suggestion.

Tags
fedora, installing, problem