Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 1st March 2012, 09:26 AM
przemq Offline

linuxchrome
Inverse/forward search between emacs auctex and evince in FC16 (Gnome 3)

Dear Fedora Community

Did anyone succeed setting up inverse/forward search between emacs auctex and evince in FC16 (Gnome 3) ?

I've tried a lot of ways, i.e. all methods described in http://tex.stackexchange.com/questio...tex-with-emacs but still I don't have this feature.

As far as I know, evince is supporting synctex mechanism since gnome 2.32 (this information comes from release notes for gnome 2.32). If so, according to auctex documentation, the only things left are
  1. to enable TeX-source-correlation-mode
  2. to start TeX-source-correlate-start-server
but that's just theory!

I've found information that something has change in the d-bus interface in Gnome 3, which may be the reason why synctex synchronization isn't working, but I can't cope with that.

Did anyone find a way of solving this problem ?

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated.

PS. I'am using Fedora 16 (Gnome 3), Evince (3.2.1), Emacs (23.3.1) with AUCTex 11.86.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:09 PM
przemq Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Inverse/forward search between emacs auctex and evince in FC16 (Gnome 3)

In order to check whether it is a mater of gnome version I've set up FC14 (Gnome 2.32), Evince (2.32), Emacs (23.3.1) with AUCTex 11.86 on VirtualBox.

I've achieved a small progress. Using the lisp scripts from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11010827 my emacs editor reports the following d-bus error:

D-Bus error: "Type of message, `(s(ii)u)', does not match expected type `(s(ii))'"

What is interesting the same script under FC16 (configuration described in the previous post) is not working at all. Completely no reaction, even evince window doesn't appear.

This shows that there might be change in the d-bus daemon ( great discovery! )

How can I go further with this... ?
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:05 PM
przemq Offline

linuxchrome

According to http://tex.stackexchange.com/questio...tex-with-emacs

inverse/forward search seems to work properly in Debian as well as Ubuntu.

Why not on Fedora?

Could this be, a matter of Linux distribution?
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:57 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by przemq View Post
According to http://tex.stackexchange.com/questio...tex-with-emacs

inverse/forward search seems to work properly in Debian as well as Ubuntu.

Why not on Fedora?

Could this be, a matter of Linux distribution?
I doubt it, since it works for me in Fedora 16. Use the .emacs code snippet by Victor Muñoz Villarragut at the bottom of that page you linked to. I'm using TeX Live 2011, not the old 2007 version that ships with F16.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:25 PM
przemq Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I doubt it, since it works for me in Fedora 16. Use the .emacs code snippet by Victor Muñoz Villarragut at the bottom of that page you linked to. I'm using TeX Live 2011, not the old 2007 version that ships with F16.
Thanks for replay.

After upgrade my TeX Live version up to 2011, according to (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Featur...efit_to_Fedora) and taking the .emacs configuration from Victor Muñoz Villarragut the problem remains.

Currently on my Fedora 16 (x86_64) I've got the following tex-related packages:
  • whole family of texlive*2011 packages
  • emacs-1:23.3-9.fc16
  • emacs-auctex-11.86-6.fc16
  • tex-preview-11.86-6.fc16
  • evince-3.2.1-2.fc16
with all dependencies.

When I open a *.tex file, emacs-auctex is in pdfmode (as it should be).

I'm expecting that evince will show me the place, in the output pdf file, which corresponds to a place pointed by cursor in the source file, after hitting C-c C-v (forward search)

as well as

that after hitting Ctrl + left mouse key in evince, I will be switched to the corresponding source file in emacs (inverse search).

Is it working like this on your Fedora ?
Old 3rd March 2012, 06:03 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I'm expecting that evince will show me the place, in the output pdf file, which corresponds to a place pointed by cursor in the source file, after hitting C-c C-v (forward search)

as well as

that after hitting Ctrl + left mouse key in evince, I will be switched to the corresponding source file in emacs (inverse search).

Is it working like this on your Fedora ?
Yes, that is how it works for me; both the forward search and inverse search work as you described. The only thing you have to watch out for is that for forward searches to work, with the synctex in TeX Live 2011 a stupid requirement was added to use full absolute path names for the .tex files when compiling, i.e. you have to do this:
Code:
pdflatex /full/absolute/path/to/myfile.tex
Using just the filename in the current directory (e.g. "pdflatex myfile.tex"), relative paths (e.g. "pdflatex ../myfile.tex"), or shortcuts (e.g. "pdflatex ~/myfile.tex") will give you an error message saying "SyncTeX Warning: No tag for <yourfile.tex>" when trying to do a forward search.

You said you're using the unofficial TeX Live 2011 packages for Fedora, and that could be a problem as well. I'm using the official TeX Live 2011 right from the DVD iso image file: http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-iso.html
It's easy to install if you have the perl-Tk package for Fedora installed; the instructions explain how to use the GUI installer. And besides working properly, another advantage of using the official 2011 version is that you can use tlmgr to update the packages (instead of relying on the Fedora package maintainers).
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 5th March 2012, 01:38 PM
przemq Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you very much for your help; the problem is nearly solved!

You are absolutely right about installing TeX Live 2011. I've checked that with the default 2007 version of TeX Live, pdflatex returns an error: unrecognized option '--synctex=1'. This problem has gone, after installing version 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
The only thing you have to watch out for is that for forward searches to work, with the synctex in TeX Live 2011 a stupid requirement was added to use full absolute path names for the .tex files when compiling
Relative path names to *.tex file is the last (hopefully) problem to solve.

Generally I'm using the pdf button in the emacs/auctex toolbar to create pdf. During viewing the output buffer, generated after compilation I've found a line: Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``pdflatex --synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" test.tex'', where "test.tex" is my latex file. That shows that emacs/auctex uses relative path name. As a result the test.synctex file (from the test.synctex.gz) looks like this
Code:
SyncTeX Version:1
Input:1:/home/przemq/./test.tex
Input:2:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Input:3:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo
Input:4:/home/przemq/./test.aux
Input:5:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/omscmr.fd
After changing the above file, according to the following pattern ...

Code:
SyncTeX Version:1
Input:1:/home/przemq/test.tex
Input:2:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Input:3:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo
Input:4:/home/przemq/test.aux
Input:5:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/omscmr.fd
... inverse / forward search has started to work properly!

So the final question is: are there any ways to force emacs/auctex to use absolute path name while running pdflatex compilation?
Old 2nd April 2012, 01:14 PM
przemq Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
So the final question is: are there any ways to force emacs/auctex to use absolute path name while running pdflatex compilation?
This problem has been solved!

You can find details here: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questio...tex-and-evince

Tags
emacs auctex, evince, fc16, gnome 3, inverse or forward search