Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 1st March 2012, 10:46 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Power regression is not fixed in 3.2.7

I'll chuckle ... but not too hard. I'm no stranger to the ugly smell of escaping magic smoke myself. I once had a really sweet AMD Barton Core until I mis-mounted the heatsink and it popped and came adrift while the machine was powering up. <....>

Sadly, those early AMDs ran really nice, but they had no thermal headroom, nor any runaway thermal shutdown capability.

Poof!

Nasty smell that ... but nothing compared to the blue language I splattered all over the room when I realized what had happened. Not inclined to do things by halves, it nailed both the CPU and the motherboard when it went.

But on to matters Morlock. Suffice it to say that as soon as I clicked into this thread, that little red LED on the bottom corner of my monitor (the troll alert/excessive-headspace detection indicator) immediately started flashing. He never came back and removed all doubt, so I powered down the nuke panel, but all the hallmark sign are there, so he's on a pretty short leash for now.
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:37 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Unfortunately, I too have been there, done that, and had the expired hardware to prove it. I'm a bit paranoid now. My current desktop system is a quad-core Phenom 9850 on an Asus M4N78 Pro motherboard. I was doing some experimenting and needed to see the temperatures (which were not being displayed). I pulled up the Nvidia tool, and noticed that the onboard GPU was hitting 100 degrees C.

I had a small fan, so wired it to the heat-sink. That brought it down to the high 70s. Then I went online and found a Logisys High Performance Dual Heat Pipes Heatsink for Popular Mainstream North Bridge, Model: C8 (also has Deep Cool Chipset Cooler on the label). With that, the temperature is now hovering around 56 degrees C. That is much better. Fortunately, I caught it before it cooked the chip. I had to send this motherboard out for repair once already when the same issue did cook the chip. I was glad that it was still under warranty.

Anyway, all is now well. I have had the same misfortune with some of my other hardware in prior years. The worst I ever saw was when I was in the Army, stationed in Berlin, Germany. I saw a monitor go up in smoke. Boy did that ever stink up the place! At least that one was not mine.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:40 AM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfirefox

I wonder if the OP has ever cleaned that laptop out. Might help with his heating problem.
Old 3rd March 2012, 03:10 PM
stevea Online

linuxfirefox

I'm not denying some people may see power regression on some hardware. I've gotta say tho' that my T510 is now running about 1 watt cooler under 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64 than under F13.

Phoronix is well known for it's sensationalist headlines with little or no "there" there. The point is - do some homework and find the cause. Whining won't help.

Tags
fixed, power, regression