Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st March 2012, 08:44 PM
drinkingcoffee Offline

linuxchrome
migrate from encrypted lvm to encrypted lvm + raid

Hi --

So, a month ago both of drives in my RAID 1 array died (well, actually, they died a number of months apart, I just never got around to replacing the first one when the second one conked out... note: don't do this).

Needing to get my system back up and running, I bought a new drive and did a fresh install, restoring what data I could from the damaged drives and backup. Since I only had one drive now, I couldn't install directly to a RAID (the installer refuses to allow installation to a degraded array... which is probably a good idea), and just went to a standard (encrypted) lvm setup.

Now, my two RMA'd drives have finally come back from seagate, and I'm ready to get my system RAID'd up and back to business. What's the best way to go about that?

Naively, I can stick the two new drives in there and let the installer do its magic, then copy my data from the current (non-raided) drive. I can do that, but it will involve annoying things like installing fedora again, re-installing packages, repos, remembering what config changes I made, etc...

Instead, is it possible to do something smarter that will just setup the raided pair of disks, then clone my existing disk/system on to them rather than re-installing?

All three are the same size (1TB) and will all be encrypted (with the same passphrase as the current disk).
Incidentally, once the install process has completed on to the raid array, the third disk will used for backups, so won't be in the array.

...or is this all too complicated and I should just re-install?

Tags
encrypted, lvm, migrate, raid