Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 29th February 2012, 12:40 AM
zKarp Offline

linuxfirefox
Researchers create Facebook score for employment.

I read an article recently about researchers have developed a new score for employers to look at during the hiring process, similar to credit score, employment credit score and insurance score using your facebook status and photos. Here's a source url, not the exact article I read but something to backup my statement. http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_...ct-job-success

Now I'm currently still in college and although my Facebook profile is clean of anything I still find this outrageous. Facebook has changed from previously requiring a college .edu email where you could connect with your old friends, new friends, share moments and more. I remember I was a freshman in High School and my brother got a facebook account, while I was still in MySpace, and I became so jealous. It was sort of exclusive and strictly for fun among college students.

Fast forward today, middle schoolers are on it making threats to classmates and teachers, parents use to watch what their child says, police use it for evidence, FBI uses it to catch potential terrorist or attack against president, companys use to advertise and promote their products but more relevantly it is used as a tool for employers to ease drop on your social life which is disgusting I feel. Unless you are expressing confidential messages or hate towards the company, employees or something against their values, I see no reason for work life to intertwine with work life. The previous fun social network has transformed into something people take too seriously and literally and now that they are developing a scoring system on how you might perform as a employee and chance of you becoming successful, is just sickening.

The "friends" on my facebook are people I only talk to and family. I used to have over 500++ friends but after some time of use I didn't care about the number but rather my actual friends so I went through and removed majority of the people I knew only from school who were in my class or friend of friend. So my current ~110 friends are people I actually talk to and care what they're status is, not that I stalk them. I say this because most of my statuses are sarcastic statements about what I see, do or hear. If I were to be rated I can only image the negativity that it would portray me as because of the things I say.

For example, I made a post about how I worked on a resume for about two hours using the college advice, top websites and more on what content, design, font, margins etc etc. Then when I went to apply to various internships, all that information had to be typed into individual text fields. So I made a status about it, mentioning "We are always pushed to stick out and be different and show employers why to choose us over others and yet we have submit our information in generic text fields. Great way to express myself.. SMH" (SMH = Smack my head). Sure our past experience is suppose to do this as well as interviews but it was just ironic so I posted that as a sarcastic expression of anger or whatever. If a computer read that, it doesn't understand sarcasm so it might label me as an angry or depressed person which isn't me. (Yes I know those textfields makes it easier for the screening process but still)

Now as I said before I'm in college and haven't been out in corporate America but for the summer jobs I've had, my personal life hasn't impacted my job experience or dedication. I'm not going to lie, I don't put as much time as I really should for my school work and it shows there however in a work environment I put my full time and effort towards that task while on the clock even sometimes off. I'm no social research expert but I can't see how one could see that from a facebook score and if the decision for that job was based on facebook I might not have been given it.

If personal life is now going to become a standard for employment, I was thinking in the shower, not a Marriott or what ever hotel has "the best showers" (reference to that commercial), that after I got out and had my first few jobs I would ask the employer about his/her personal life. If they use mine to see if I'm compatible, then why not see their personal life to see if they're compatible with me. Why would I want to work at a company who's average FB score is lower then mine? If I joined them the co-workers I add to my friends list might lower my friend stock (south park reference). This paragraph is a sarcastic statement, meant to set a point. I'm not saying I'm better then people or what not.

My recent FB post was actually about this topic. I mentioned if it was used to weave out CEO's in the hiring process, that might come in for personal gain, bankrupt companies and leave with bonus checks, I'm all for this but more likely it will deny a hard working citizen just looking for a job to support his or her family.

I can just imagine it now, an honest working person just trying to find a job goes to a job interview at say McDonalds and gets denied because his FB score and highlights show he likes a competitor more because he tweets/facebook checks in at Wendy's often and makes statuses about how good their baconator is.

What are your opinions about this?

For my opinion, I feel they should just ignore facebook all together and rather use their resources to do work related research to the perspective employee. Rather then pay some third party company to do a background analysis of their personal life, photos of their party life, travel, friends, books they read etc why not have people talk to their previous employers and co-workers to find out first hand information about this persons work habit, experience etc and make a "score" based on that along with the information the person gave.

As for Facebook in general, I was considering removing mine because of all the problems with it. In another article a man who lost custody of his kids to his ex-wife, commented on a family picture with something about how his wife took everything and if you didn't want this happen to you don't marry an unstable, crazy person or something. She filed a complaint and part of his punishment he HAD to post a status for 30 days apologizing. Some people might agree with some of these punishments or uses of facebook but as a kid who grew up with the dangers of the internet as it started to grow, I've learned to deal it with and if you don't like something, don't put yourself out there or read it. There use to be a big push stop cyber bullying and although its not right and shouldn't happen to anyone, if you can't handle it or worried about it don't be out there or only available to close friends. I never understood people who were hurt because they were on some game and someone cussed them out or said negative things to them. Another example is this girl on youtube posted a video complaining that she was made fun of and said strong dislike statements to those people and said she would hurt them(Didn't say hate or kill because I don't believe it was that strong and should could have been arrested if it was). Anyways her classmates found it and ridiculed her more and she responded with another video breaking down about the comments people posted on the video and her parents were in the background threatening the people who posted stuff. Like I said no-one deserves bullying, or that type of embarressment she faced in school but when you make a video, you are basically asking for it. People are using social networks to act out, get attention or hurt others and it's ruining the whole system.

I do find it hard to remove because I use it for its original purpose, to stay connected with friends and family. My parents like my comments and always quote me and say they have good laughs and like reading "Pulliing a 7hr study session in the library" with then post being at 2am on a Saturday morning. Also I keep up-to-date with my old teammates from my previous college I transfered from and a handful of friends that are still in Highschool. Majority of these being from track and field and its nice seeing their improvements and accomplishments. Especially ones who you knew as a senior in highschool when they were freshman who weren't particularly good. Then three years later you seed on your feed they made States in that same event and you call them up, text or comment. That is how I feel facebook should be and why I cannot remove it. Also some people persist on inviting you to something through facebook which is also annoying, because I don't always check it so I missed a few things.

I guess what my overall message and opinion is Facebook along with other social networks, but Linked In, should be kept seperate for the Corporate world unless there is strong comments or motions against that company or it's employees or unacceptable acts like racism, sexism, etc etc.

I don't see how a photo album of me and my friends at a bar having some drinks or being at a club would cause me to be a bad employee. If anything it shows I can connect with the people around me and I am a social and outgoing person who can handle a professional lifestyle from 7am-5pm and a social life without either interfering.

Last edited by zKarp; 29th February 2012 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Added some opinions and cleaned up some mistypes.
Old 29th February 2012, 05:16 PM
birdwatcher

macoschrome
Re: Researchers create Facebook score for employment.

Thats a long post..

Quote:
I guess what my overall message and opinion is Facebook along with other social networks, but Linked In, should be kept seperate for the Corporate world unless there is strong comments or motions against that company or it's employees or unacceptable acts like racism, sexism, etc etc.
I think a lot of employeers tries to get a image of who you are, what you do, what you like etc to better tell if you will fit in the organisation (or if they think you would). You can think its right or wrong but it will probably continue to happen, facebook is a page people use to get an idea of who you are.

I think you can view it as a sort of prescreening (just like sending in a CV is). Its one of the many tools that "they" can use, so its probably just to accept.

But if you want to be sure noone get the wrong impression, add a text to your pictures saying stuff such as: "if anything this shows I can connect with the people around me and I am a social and outgoing person", to better explain what its all about. (or I guess you can make the profile none public).
Old 29th February 2012, 07:02 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Re: Researchers create Facebook score for employment.

Well ... I finally slogged my way through all of that. Let me hit a few of the high spots before I get into writing my own tome about it. A word of warning here. From this point on, you can expect some sarcasm, but don't dismiss it as just being evil. Slow down, get some perspective and think about it for a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zKarp View Post
Now I'm currently still in college and although my Facebook profile is clean of anything I still find this outrageous. ...
That's not surprising. There's a helluva big difference between college and real life.

Quote:
... parents use to watch what their child says, police use it for evidence, FBI uses it to catch potential terrorist or attack against president, companys use to advertise and promote their products but more relevantly it is used as a tool for employers to ease eavesdrop on your social life which is disgusting I feel. Unless you are expressing confidential messages or hate towards the company, employees or something against their values, I see no reason for work life to intertwine with non-work life. The previous fun social network has transformed into something people take too seriously and literally and now that they are developing a scoring system on how you might perform as a employee and chance of you becoming successful, is just sickening.
Wow! Consequences for unbecoming public behavior?! Whooda-thunkit!

Quote:
... So my current ~110 friends are people I actually talk to and care what they're status is, not that I stalk them. I say this because most of my statuses are sarcastic statements about what I see, do or hear. If I were to be rated I can only image the negativity that it would portray me as because of the things I say. ...
Wow! Consequences for unbecoming public behavior?! Whooda-thunkit!

To quote Glenn Beck, (a bit of a nut-job but a very insightful and successful one) "Show me your friends, and I'll show you your future." There's a lot of truth in that!

Quote:
... Sure our past experience is suppose to do this as well as interviews but it was just ironic so I posted that as a sarcastic expression of anger or whatever. If a computer read that, it doesn't understand sarcasm so it might label me as an angry or depressed person which isn't me.
Wow! There's those damned unpredictable consequences again!

Quote:
... Now as I said before I'm in college and haven't been out in corporate America but for the summer jobs I've had, my personal life hasn't impacted my job experience or dedication ...
Horsefeathers!

Quote:
... I'm not going to lie, I don't put as much time as I really should for my school work and it shows there ...
Bingo! He gets it ... kinda.

Quote:
... If personal life is now going to become a standard for employment, ... snip ...
*Sigh!* Wake up. It always has been.

Quote:
... I would ask the employer about his/her personal life. If they use mine to see if I'm compatible, ...
Rethink this. You've been caught in a common logic error. You aren't working for the CEO, you're working for the company, and you have EVERY right, in fact a personal responsibility, to become familiar with the company's D&B, policies, reputation, financial health and business ethics. But your only decision is whether or not to associate yourself with the firm on the grounds of the answers to those questions. You don't have any right at all to the records and personal info of the CEO, unless you are being hired by him as his personal whatever.

Quote:
... Why would I want to work at a company who's average FB score is lower then mine?
Bingo!

Quote:
... My recent FB post was actually about this topic. I mentioned if it was used to weave out CEO's in the hiring process, that might come in for personal gain, bankrupt companies and leave with bonus checks, I'm all for this but more likely it will deny a hard working citizen just looking for a job to support his or her family.
Another logical boo-boo, and it sounds suspiciously like a pre-cursor to the 99% crap that's running amok recently. But in a University environment these days, I'm not at all surprised. They're so bloody busy trying to tell you what to think, that they've completely neglected the primary goal of higher education, which is teaching you how to think.

Quote:
What are your opinions about this?

I guess what my overall message and opinion is Facebook along with other social networks, but Linked In, should be kept seperate for the Corporate world unless there is strong comments or motions against that company or it's employees or unacceptable acts like racism, sexism, etc etc. [/B]

I don't see how a photo album of me and my friends at a bar having some drinks or being at a club would cause me to be a bad employee. If anything it shows I can connect with the people around me and I am a social and outgoing person who can handle a professional lifestyle from 7am-5pm and a social life without either interfering.
Okey dokey. My turn.

You're monopolar here. You're thinking like a college kid. You need to balance that with getting into the other guy's shoes for a while, and thinking like an employer. Realistically, though. Not just a flight of opinion induced fantasy. But .. that's tough to do sometimes. Again, not at all surprising. You're obviously a product and victim of the current education system in America today. But does that excuse it and mean none of this is your fault?

BZZZZZzzzz! Wrong answer! IN ANY matter of your own life, you ALWAYS own the lion's share of the culpability. You make decisions. They have perks and consequences.

Here are some thoughts you might want to get rammed into the equation soon -- before you end up learning them the hard way.

Rude surprises of adulthood (by the number):
  • 1) It's YOUR education, and it's YOUR future. YOU will be the one to pay the price for not only your own behavior, but that of the skulduggerous, overpaid evil little brain-clots who are "educating" you. If you want your future to be yours, and not theirs, jettison the innocence, the indoctrination, the participation trophies, and learn to think CRITICALLY! You are not being trained for your success. You are being trained for theirs. Learn the difference and adjust your life-plan accordingly.
  • 2) No one owes you a damn thing. That includes a job, or a pass on your less-than-stellar behaviors. We all have some of those skeletons in our closets, but parking them on Facebook for the whole world to see, and then expecting them to be ignored, could easily qualify you for therapy and psychoactive medications.
  • 3) When you "get a job" you are signing a contract with your employer. You agree to do the job for the contracted terms, and they agree to pay you and give you certain benefits in return. If you entered into that contract under false pretences (covering up your public peccadilloes) don't be at all surprised if there aren't a few skeletons in the corporate closets as well. And don't be surprised if they react as negatively to yours ... as you do to theirs.
  • 4) Know this. Hiring and firing employees is a right proper PITA! It's expensive, and these days (although it never was easy) a complete crapshoot at best. Neither I nor any other business concern wants to do it only to be faced with an employment failure due to undisclosed character flaws. Trust I will use EVERY tool legally at my disposal to asses your character before I will hire you. Because firing you is an expensive PITA! Oh, and by the way, if I do have to fire you ... trust me in this as well. I will gladly tell the next poor sucker you go to work for, exactly why and how you were terminated from my firm. 'Cuz he's just another guy like me. Trying to get by in a tough world. But ... you can also be thankful that neither one of us will be silly enough to be posting anything on Facebook about it.
  • 5) Get used to the taste of hypocrisy. It can easily sneak up on you in life when you least expect it. Case in point ... You, yourself, already use and have used Facebook parameters to "de-friend" a lot of other people who are in all likelihood, a lot like yourself.

So ... I hope I haven't offended you, but admit there's a good chance that I have. Sorry about that. Plain speaking can be a little uncomfortable. But in the long run ... it's better to hear it here, than on the wrong end of a long string of completely demoralizing failed applications and interviews.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:26 AM
zKarp Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks Dan for powering through that extensive rant. Actually a lot of your comments make me laugh, not at you, I'm a sarcastic person as well so I enjoy that stuff.
Anyways you make a lot of good points and after being a day or so away from this post, I see some of my comments are off and premature. One of those things where you see it in a whole new light when you come back to it.

I do understand they want quality employees and what you put on FB is public, most of the examples I put I guess were poor in convincing that this was a bit much.
The fact that I might not post my vacation pictures and mark every place I've been then lose a job to someone who did because they seemed more adventurous and outgoing is ridiculous. If anything it shows I have a life I'm attending to and not sitting on facebook trying to show a life I have.
Just seems it went from something fun to another thing you have to BS, make professional, and always keep a smiling face.

Last edited by zKarp; 1st March 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 1st March 2012, 05:55 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
... If anything it shows I have a life I'm attending to and not sitting on facebook trying to show a life I have.
Ayup. Bingo!

Quote:
Just seems it went from something fun to another thing you have to BS, make professional, and always keep a smiling face.
<....> Pretty much. Welcome to real life in the meatspace jungle.

It does get better though, Eventually, when you find you've got more grey than otherwise in your hair (or beard) there comes a day when you realize that the whole silly mess is just a huge drafty comedy, wearing tragedy's mask and someone else's pants whilst mind-feeding on the manic fury and illusory certitude of humanity's deluded belief that all this somehow desperately matters in the soul chilling and back-breaking lust for more money and fancier stuff. <....>

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go find a way to finance myself a new personal 17" laptop.

<....>

<....>

<....>