Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th February 2012, 04:51 PM
ahw609 Offline

linuxfirefox
VirtualBox crashes new FC16 system

I have installed a new system with FC 16 64-bit and in general all is working really well. I have also installed VirtualBox 4.1.8 from their website (as opposed to the "OSE" version from the Fedora repos). When I try and create a new VM it creates the new machine OK, but when going to the "First Run" wizard to really install the OS (in this case CentOS 6, but I have tried others with no success), the machine completely crashes (like you pressed the reset button) after specifying the disk layout.

uname gives - Linux fvb 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP

Hardware details: Asus P8B WS mobo, Xeon E3-1270, 16GB non-ECC memory, SSD system disk, 500GB hard disk. (/home is on the SSD) A check for newer bios seems to indicate there are none. I see nothing about VT-x in the Bios setup, just VT-d. Anything realted to virtualization is enabled. A check of /proc/cpuinfo shows an empty file (??).

VBox has set VT-x and Nested Pages automatically when it created the machine.

From a historical perspective I have another machine running FC15, VBox 4.1.8, Quad Core CPU, and have had no trouble there building many different machines - CentOSs, Linux Mints, Windows XP, even Android for fun, no problems.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Al
Old 29th February 2012, 10:10 PM
ahw609 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: VirtualBox crashes new FC16 system

Finally found the culprit, but don't understand the crashes and system locks.

It turned out that the BIOS had the virtualiztion support DISABLED. This was hidden somewhat by a scroll-down window, so unless you know to go look there it was not obvious - at least to me.

Once changed the box will now run VirtualBox and Emmu-KVM without problems.

BTW, VB is MUCH faster here than the KVM install of the same OS (CentOS-6.1). YMMV.

Tags
crashes, fc16, virtualbox