Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th February 2012, 05:16 PM
sukool Offline

windows_7firefox
Exclamation F16 hangs/freezes after login

hi guys i am new to linux. fedora looked nice so i installed it .
i have a multi boot win7/ f16 but fedora hangs completely. i cant figure out the problem.I don't know how to see the error logs. tried the recovery mode but the same problem.
when i click on the menu or do anything the screen blinks couple times (on/off) then freezes. the mouse is able to move but no event actions. please advise.

> I have made one observation that after fedora logo comes, it fills up and then the 1/4 th screen becomes scrambled(mix pixels of different colors).

sys specs :

AMD x6 3.0Ghz
ATI HD5670 1Gb
hdd 1TB
ram 4Gb
motherB Gigabyte GA-880GM
Fedora install space : 100gb

i had 1 primary ,3 logical partitions. Shrunk the last partition ,made free space.
i have installed by making free space , then selected option 'install using free space'. fedora partitions are default.

please give specific details if u give the Linux commands.(like where to write the commands) i am new to Linux but can handle it, if explained properly.
looking forward to your help.
Old 15th February 2012, 02:04 AM
JamesNZ Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F16 hangs/freezes after login

That used to happen to me as well, I found out that it was my graphics card locking up so I installed the proprietary drivers and it's worked fine ever since.

If possible, could you boot into a livecd and copy /var/log/messages onto your windows partition and then copy the last 50 or so lines into a post here? That should give some more info...

- Jesus
Old 15th February 2012, 06:51 AM
sukool Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNZ View Post
That used to happen to me as well, I found out that it was my graphics card locking up so I installed the proprietary drivers and it's worked fine ever since.

If possible, could you boot into a livecd and copy /var/log/messages onto your windows partition and then copy the last 50 or so lines into a post here? That should give some more info...

how to get to the log? i have live usb of 'Fedora-16-x86_64'. and when i boot through it has two options 1 install 2 troubleshoot.
i have tried using the ext2explore software from my windows but cant see the logs.it had just one directory '/dev.sda8' (having grub, grub2 folders)

please advise how to get the 'log messages'
Old 15th February 2012, 09:14 PM
JamesNZ Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukool View Post
how to get to the log? i have live usb of 'Fedora-16-x86_64'. and when i boot through it has two options 1 install 2 troubleshoot.
Do you have the live cd or dvd? The live cd should say 'Start Fedora 16", not 'Install'.

Anyway, once you've booted up then you can open your fedora partition and go to /var/log/, copy the file called 'messages', then reboot and open it in windows and post the last 50ish lines here

- Jesus
Old 16th February 2012, 11:01 AM
sukool Offline

windows_7firefox

i don't have the live cd..but i have the "install dvd(3.49Gb)"
i will download live cd and will post the error log.

Last edited by sukool; 16th February 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 20th February 2012, 07:49 AM
sukool Offline

windows_7firefox

it happens on the live cd as well. cant do anything...same problem..
any solutions?? may be genome problem or driver problem..cant figure out..plz help
Old 21st February 2012, 02:29 AM
JamesNZ Offline

windows_7chrome

Weird... When you boot up the livecd, as soon as the system freezes try pressing "Cntrl+Alt+F4". That will put you in a virtual terminal, log in with your username and password and then run "startx". That command starts the gui and hopefully it will fail If it does fail then just look at the errors that come on the screen and see if it mentions anything about a GPU lockup.

If that doesn't work then the only thing I can think of is for you do a minimal install from the dvd, which will install a barebones text-only system. Then you can try installing the proprietary drivers along with a DE etc. But I think only as a last resort

- Jesus
Old 29th February 2012, 05:12 AM
fasza2 Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi, evereyone (first post
I 've got similar issue. I'm running F16. I'm not really sure exactly what happened, but I think evolution got frozen and I logged out then back in. I got a grey log in window with the fedora logo on the top instead of the default(black) gnome window. Since then fedora hangs after choosing gnome session every time right after loading my wallpaper. If i start an XBMC session I get a warning about the lack of hardware OpenGL and can go back to the login screen. I have kmod-nvidia installed. I have upgraded/reinstalled kernel + headers + sepolicy + kmod-nvidia, but getting same problem. some data I already gathered:

uname -r

lspci |grep -i VGA
nvidia 1201(rev a1)

lsmod |grep -e nouv -e nvidia
-nvidia 10778232 26
-i2c_core 28123 3 nvidia,videodev,i2c_i801

glxinfo |grep -i -e render -e opengl
[499.859733] glxinfo[1869]: segfault at bb0a7315 ip 4511bdb4 sp bf87e900 error
6 in ld-2.14.90so[4510f000+21000]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
f16, f16 freeze hangs, hangs or freezes, login