Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th February 2012, 12:11 AM
dishawjp Offline

linuxfirefox
Any other old timers a bit disappointed with F16?

Hi All,

I just upgraded my computers from F12 to F16 a couple of weeks ago. (Yes, I am that lazy and F12 was still doing everything I needed it to do). I had anticipated some getting used to the new Gnome... I almost panicked at the first boot when there were no icons and I couldn't find a terminal, but I am getting used to most of the things and really just have a few quibbles. I'm curious if I'm the only one or are there others.

Quibble 1 (the biggest one) You can only open one instance of the Gnome terminal... or any other app for that matter. Yes, I'm aware of tabs, but I find myself going back to commands I haven't used in years, like bg, fg, jobs, and etc. The <shift> <ctrl> T key combo is fine for opening new tabs, but I have to use a mouse to toggle between open terminal tabs and would rather keep my mitts on the keyboard. Besides, jumping between keyboard and mouse can cause beers to get spilled :-)

Quibble 2 (a pain at times, but not the end of the world) Why has Fedora deprecated floppies to this extent. Yes, I can "modprobe floppy" and mount it (after I create a /media/floppy) directory, but I have to be root. And yes, I could have that happen at every boot and edit my fstab to allow all users to mount and access it, but I don't use floppies every day. And yes, I realize that I should just bite the bullet and move everything over to usb it CD or whatever, but I still have hundreds of floppies that I don't use very often, but it is a pain to have to go through all this just to get at a file. How much would it have hurt to leave in support for floppies?

OK, I'm done whining. F16 and this new Gnome 3 or whatever it is, iis pretty and smooth and other than these quibbles, I love it. Oh, one more... I actually kind of got to like the old spatial Nautilus file manager for some things, but the new one works too. Oh, and the default directories they put in your home directory... what's with directory names like "Documents", does anybody really name that anything but "docs"? And "Downloads" instead of "dl". Those are a pain when you're typing, but they can also be easily enough deleted and replaced.

OK, got all that off my chest :-)

Jim Dishaw