Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th February 2012, 12:11 PM
dave539 Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
losing network connection weirdness

I have a remote computer. It is behind a firewall. For over 5 months I could connect vis ssh. About a week ago I could no longer contact the computer. I made a long trip and found that a port light on a switch, the port the computer connects to, was flashing rapidly. I could not ping out or browse or anything from this computer. I disconnected the cable and then put it back in. All seemed fine. Just for grins I put the computer into a different switch port.

Late yesterday I was able to connect just fine from here (130 miles away). This morning I was also able to get in and perform some tasks. Then a bit later I can no longer get in.

For what it may be worth, the nic on the system in question is an onboard on a Gigabyte S3G series MB. I have seen other nics with spurious transmitions but none of those were intermittent. When I was near the system I could not see any errors or retransmits looking at output from netstat. I'm believing my choices are a new MB or disabling the onboard and putting in a separate nic. Which brings me to the question - any recomendations for a no problem nic?

Thanks

Tags
connection, losing, network, weirdness