Old 29th January 2012, 12:30 PM
bastani Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 - Bumblebee

thanks for the useful tutorials ragib. Here are my results:
Code:
[mani@localhost ~]$ glxgears 
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.259 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.854 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.853 FPS
299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.656 FPS
Code:
[mani@localhost ~]$ optirun glxgears 
1782 frames in 5.0 seconds = 356.228 FPS
1854 frames in 5.0 seconds = 370.660 FPS
1905 frames in 5.0 seconds = 380.842 FPS
1901 frames in 5.0 seconds = 380.039 FPS
1895 frames in 5.0 seconds = 378.858 FPS
1897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 379.367 FPS
1898 frames in 5.0 seconds = 379.589 FPS
1909 frames in 5.0 seconds = 381.669 FPS
However, power consumption rate is normally between 20 and 25 watts (according to Power Statistics). I am still not sure if bumblebee turns of the second card or not?
Other people with the same type of machine say the Power Statistics shows more than 25 watts while they have both cards on (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1550480).
Nevertheless, I would like to learn how to verify the status of cards and check which of them is active?
Old 31st January 2012, 12:50 PM
ragib Offline

linuxchrome

Have u tried these yet? Which one gives highest FPS?

optirun -c proxy glxgears
optirun -c rgb glxgears
optirun -c yuv glxgears
optirun -c xv glxgears
optirun -c jpeg glxgears

optirun -c proxy glxgears -fullscreen
optirun -c rgb glxgears -fullscreen
optirun -c yuv glxgears -fullscreen
optirun -c xv glxgears -fullscreen
optirun -c jpeg glxgears -fullscreen

my laptop gives highest FPS on rgb. had to set it to default by editing bumblebee.conf

Quote:
However, power consumption rate is normally between 20 and 25 watts (according to Power Statistics).
Is power consumption the same for both when running with or without optirun? what is the output for this :
sudo cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch

Last edited by ragib; 31st January 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 4th February 2012, 08:09 AM
nhanth87 Offline

linuxfirefox

I was followed your tutorial and made my nvidia optimus run. But intel 3D was broken.
so I reinstall libGL but it didn't solve my proble with intel 3D.

I have checked in Xorg.0.log :
Quote:
30.935] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 30.936] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so
[ 31.818] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[ 31.818] compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
and ldconfig -p:
Quote:
libGLU.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libGLU.so
libGLEW.so.1.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libGLEW.so.1.6
libGL.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/nvidia/libGL.so.1
libGL.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
libGL.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libGL.so
I think because nvidia libGL is load first so it will break my mesa libGL (stay at lib64).
Does anyone know howto change libGL.so.1 to mesa?
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:06 AM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hello there,

it seems that some time passed and no new entries in this thread. What about bumblebee rpm ? Benko, how far are you please ?
My problem is posted here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1557031

I did not solve it yet, stuck on 1280x1024 (on a FullHD display, ugly hmmm? ) and using VESA drivers. Adding BusID to xorg.conf and installing rpmfuse driver didn't bring any results...
The official page of the Bumblebee project doesn't support Fedora :-(

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 24th February 2012, 06:01 AM
ragib Offline

linuxfirefox

to nhanth87 and darkman088.

For one, it is better to confirm first that your laptop does indeed have OPTIMUS technology that requires bumblebee. the output of the following should produce two types of Gfx device, one from intel and one from nvidia.
lspci | grep -i vga

You should also check product spec of your laptop from the manufacturers website. darkman088's MSI GE620DX seems to have this OPTIMUS feature, so we're good there.

The bad news is, Nvidia does not YET (maybe, will not ever) support OPTIMUS for linux. A fresh install of Fedora 16 results the following :
-Intel gfx is turned on, active, in use.
-Nvidia gfx not in use, but still turned on (eating through your laptop battery).
If you install Nvidia driver to your laptop :
-both Nvidia and Intel turned on, Nvidia in use all the time (eating through your laptop battery)

To fix this, you need bumblebee. Another bad news is, bumblebee install is not yet supported in Fedora. If you use Ubuntu, it is very easy to install. However, install of bumblebee on Fedora is still possible.

For me, it best to not install any Nvidia gfx driver. Just leave the Nouveau driver as it is. It turns out that install of Nvidia driver breaks something, like what probably happened to nhanth87. There should be a way to get Nvidia driver to work with bumblebee on Fedora, but I don't know how.

To start,
1. do a fresh install of Fedora 16 and update your system.
2. go to https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ebee/downloads to download the install files and extract it.
3. Follow instructions here https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...tall-and-usage to install from source

If you have problem, post the error here. When i tried it, lots of errors occurred because a lot of packages required for compiling/make/configure were missing. Check the error messages for the missing packages and install them using add/remove software.

4. Check here https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project.../Configuration to configure bumblebee. Note that we are using Nouveau driver.

5. install bbswitch module from https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch/downloads. use DKMS install (check this thread for guide).
reference : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Buildi...cff73f927731f0

Quote:
I found a solution to my problem which might not be the most correct one although.
First I installed DKMS, then I created the directory /usr/src/bbswitch-0.4.1-3 and copied the following three files from the source folder of bbswitch there:
Code:

cp Makefile bbswitch.c dkms/dkms.conf /usr/src/bbswitch-0.4.1-3/

Then I ran the following commands:
Code:

dkms add -m bbswitch -v 0.4.1-3
dkms build -m bbswitch -v 0.4.1-3
dkms install -m bbswitch -v 0.4.1-3
6. Configure bumblebee daemon and bbswitch module to start-up at each boot. Some tutorials already posted in this thread.

for bbswitch :

sudo echo bbswitch load_state=0 unload_state=1 > /etc/modules-load.d/bbswitch.conf

for bumblebee :

When you download the install files (i don't really know what they are called), from here for bumblebee v3.0
Link : https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ebee/downloads
and extract it to become a folder, there is a folder called '[bumblebee-installfiles]/script/systemd'. inside it is a file named 'bumblebeed.service'. Try to copy this file into the folder '/lib/systemd/system'. You may need admin rights to do this, so go to terminal, type 'sudo nautilus', copy-paste the file.
Next, this 'service script' (or whatever i am supposed to call it) need to be enabled. do the following in terminal.
sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed.service

7. install virtualgl http://sourceforge.net/projects/virt...les/VirtualGL/ so as to get optirun command to work. Use the available rpm file. v2.3 seems to work fine.

Let me know what else is missing. Also, post errors here. Note that I am a noob at linux and fedora, and can only help so much.

Last edited by ragib; 24th February 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: additional info/step required to explain procedure properly
Old 24th February 2012, 09:57 AM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hello,

thanks for the reply, even though it brings really bad news.

I have already been here:
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...tall-and-usage

For Fedora it seems that really there is no other way yet, but to compile the source. I've been trying that several other times in the past and I was NEVER successful in doing that. So, I think it makes no sense to waste my time and nerves.
I would be VERY thankful, if somebody (likely with programming background) will try it first, and if successful, posts somewhere a detailed guide on how to do that.

Benko from this forum was working on creating an .rpm of Bumblebee for Fedeora. I've PM'ed him to ask how far along is he.

For me it REALLY makes no sense using Ubuntu, as I'm using professional applications, issued in .rpm format ONLY. Also I don't like the package management and the interface and many other stuff of Ubuntu. Btw. the colors too :-D
nVidia WILL HAVE to support Optimus. I was considering bringing back the MSI laptop and getting another machine, but ALL the modern laptops have Optimus... So, ALL of them are not compatible with Fedora !!!

I might try Scientific Linux if I will have time one day. There were hints that Optimus works there.
So, it really looks like goodbye Linux, it has been a pleasure... Back to M$ :-(

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

A colleague of mine tried it and he could compile the source without problems, so I'll try it too...

Last edited by darkman088; 24th February 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 25th February 2012, 01:33 AM
darkman088 Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello guys,

trying it just now, and of course... It doesn't work, exactly as I had expected:

... bumblebee-3.0]# ./configure CONF_DRIVER=nvidia CONF_DRIVER_MODULE_NVIDIA=nvidia-current CONF_LDPATH_NVIDIA=/usr/lib/nvidia-current:/usr/lib32/nvidia-current CONF_MODPATH_NVIDIA=/usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking how to create a pax tar archive... gnutar
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for help2man... /usr/bin/help2man
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for x11... no
configure: error: Package requirements (x11) were not met:

No package 'x11' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables x11_CFLAGS
and x11_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

... And of course there is no "x11" package:

# yum install x11
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
No package x11 available.
Error: Nothing to do
Old 25th February 2012, 03:44 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Code:
checking for x11... no
configure: error: Package requirements (x11) were not met:

No package 'x11' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables x11_CFLAGS
and x11_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
You need to do this,
Code:
yum install libX11-devel
Old 25th February 2012, 06:05 PM
darkman088 Offline

linuxfirefox

Hola Pablo,

now I'm 2 steps further (as I installed glib2-devel also).
Now I am facing the next obstacle, which I can't manage:

checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for x11... yes
checking for glib... yes
checking for libbsd... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libbsd >= 0.2.0) were not met:

No package 'libbsd' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables libbsd_CFLAGS
and libbsd_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

# yum install libbsd
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Package libbsd-0.2.0-4.fc15.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Please help me...
Old 25th February 2012, 06:12 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

Code:
yum install libbsd-devel
configure is almost always looking for the header files, which are in the *-devel packages in Fedora.
Old 25th February 2012, 08:33 PM
darkman088 Offline

linuxfirefox

OK, I've installed it, also bswitch and the third... GL something too...
Now what? I already (think) that I have installed the nVidia driver, but I'm using currently my old xorg.conf, otherwise - no X.
So what are the next steps? How do I switch between the cards and how do I make use of the nVidia driver?
Really getting lost here, it's very very complicated...

Thanks for enlighting me!
Old 26th February 2012, 05:34 AM
ragib Offline

linuxfirefox

You got the installation working. Awesome!!!
Before we proceed, we need to take note some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman088 View Post
Hello guys,

trying it just now, and of course... It doesn't work, exactly as I had expected:

... bumblebee-3.0]# ./configure CONF_DRIVER=nvidia CONF_DRIVER_MODULE_NVIDIA=nvidia-current CONF_LDPATH_NVIDIA=/usr/lib/nvidia-current:/usr/lib32/nvidia-current CONF_MODPATH_NVIDIA=/usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules
Like i said previously, it is better to NOT install the Nvidia driver, because see warning here https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ported-drivers. As a matter of fact, I don't know how to get bumblebee to work with Nvidia gfx using Nvidia driver.

The Nouveau driver installed by by default in fedora should be sufficient for your Nvidia gfx card. And it seems that in above, you configured bumblebee to use Nvidia driver module of an Ubuntu system. Simply use "./configure" without arguments should be sufficient. However, as long as bumblebee.conf here : https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project.../Configuration is set to use nouveau, above settings don't matter (least, that's what I think).

Suppose that everything is installed properly, we should test them out. you need the package glx-utils for this testing.
Let your laptop idle for a while, and open power statistics. Let it idle while on battery, and monitor power drain.
Test out the built-in intel gfx. while monitoring power consumption on battery. Let each test run for at least 1-2 minutes (so as to register measurement in power statistics, and framerate).
Code:
glxgears
[press esc key to stop test]
glxgears -fullscreen
Now, do the same, but we use 'optirun' to tell the bumblebee daemon that we want to use the Nvidia gfx instead of the built-in.
Code:
optirun glxgears
optirun glxgears -fullscreen
by default, programs are run using the built-in intel. use 'optirun [command to start program]' to use the Nvidia gfx card. bbswitch should also turn on/off the Nvidia gfx to save power automatically.

Post results (framerates and battery power drain), error codes here. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 26th February 2012, 11:52 AM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hi Ragib and thanks for your answer!

I think that I keep writing it, but obviously I really didn't make makeself clear.
Currently, even though installations are fine... I have AWFUL picture. 1280x800. Everything is fuzzy and I for sure don't have any acceleration.

So, my question is how to make all that work, because installation succeeded and I don't see any change...
Do I need to modify my xorg.conf or Bumblebee is using xorg.conf.bumblebee or... ?
Simply put, I can't put the connection because the installation of Bumblebee and making Fedora use it.

One more thing, that is still pretty unclear to me:
In the past, when I was installing Fedora 14 on my old laptop... I had to put nouveau on the blacklist, I remember this for sure. Also what I certainly remember is, that under nouveau, when Linux was loading, all the scrolling text was displayed with tiny characters in some kind of graphical mode. Now, right after installing Fedora 16, I didn't have that... During booting, everything is shown with big letters and in text mode for sure. This gives me the impression, that nouveau is disabled by default... Please let me know.
Old 26th February 2012, 01:52 PM
ragib Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi! About your laptop.

I must have misunderstood your problem from the beginning. It seems that your problem is that you are stuck on a low resolution setting (1280x800) on a hi-res screen (1920x1080). This is more of a gfx driver issue, monitor detection or something, and I clearly do not have the expertise for that.

Bumblebee does not come into play yet at that level. New laptops like yours and mine come with OPTIMUS, which allows switching between Hi-power Nvidia gfx and low-power intel gfx for better power management. This is done automatically in windows. In Linux, what bumblebee does is that it allows you to use 'optirun' command to start a program with the Nvidia gfx, turning it off when you close the program. Without bumblebee, you are stuck with the built-in intel gfx for everything that you do, even though your Nvidia gfx is on and draining your battery.

When you fresh install fedora 16 on a regular system (no OPTIMUS), from what I know, the open-source Nouveau driver is loaded for Nvidia gfx.
However, since we have optimus, the driver for intel is loaded for the intel gfx, and this is the one that is used for your laptop. blacklisting Nouveau does nothing yet at this point (i think), since the one being used is the intel (i915 or something)

Someone here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...dora-16-a.html also has problems with limited screen resolution, but a fresh install seem to have fixed it. Have u tried changing resolution? What are the options available?

Otherwise, I cannot help you. Sorry.
Old 27th February 2012, 02:30 AM
ragib Offline

linuxfirefox

If yout problem is resolution related, maybe you ca fix it using this guide : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Res...ed_resolutions

Tags
bumblebee, f16