Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 22nd February 2012, 11:44 AM
gsannes Offline

windows_7ie
Lockdown desktop functionality, Fedora 16

I have tried to do lockdown gnome desktop fuctionality, but it's not working from what I can see. I have tried to do the following changes:

Using gconf-editor:
Desktop/Gnome/Lockdown, ticked the Disable Command line icon to disable access to command line for example using Alt + F2 or to the terminal window.

As well tried to tick the following.
Desktop/Gnome/Lockdown/Disable user switching
Desktop/Gnome/Lockdown/Disable print setup.
Desktop/Gnome/Lockdown/Disable Lock screen.
Logged out and in again, but I'm still able to for example lock screen, open f.ex. the gnome terminal window or use Alt + F2 to open the command window.
I was further not able to enter the command window applet id in disabled_applets as I do not have the apps/panel/global key in gconf-editor, panel and panel/global is missing.
I have further tried to enter these lockdown options by using the gconftool-2 as well. The following changes:
Tried as well to do these changes globally as follows changing in the mandatory file:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:read:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_user_switching true

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:read:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_print_setup true

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:read:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_printing true

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:read:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_lock_screen true

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:read:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_command_line true

I have also tried to include the following in disabled_applets to remove access to the run command Pressing Alt + F2:
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --set --type list –list-type string /apps/panel/global/disabled_applets "[OAFIID:GNOME_MiniCommanderApplet]"

This is however as well ignored. Note further that I did not have path apps/panel/global starting gconf-editor. Panel/global was missing. After using the command above I did get the path for user root. Looking at disabled_applets I do however get missing schema message, and I can still use Alt + F2.
Old 25th February 2012, 09:36 AM
EvilRedHorse Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Lockdown desktop functionality, Fedora 16

# lockdown software
yum -y install pessulus

Tags
desktop, fedora, functionality, lockdown