Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

View Poll Results: Did it work for you
Yes 456 48.61%
No 341 36.35%
Nearly worked 141 15.03%
Voters: 938. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th February 2012, 10:07 AM
Drowningman Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Howto for fglrx / catalyst (Ati driver)

I found out that only radeon was in /etc/modprobe.d/fglrx-blacklist. By adding radeonhd after uninstall/install of the catalyst driver and then running aticonfig --init --adapter=all I got things happening in the fglrx-install.log file:

Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
Unloading drm module...
ERROR: Module drm is in use by ttm,drm_kms_helper
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/3.2.5-3.fc16.i686.PAE/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Går till katalogen "/usr/src/kernels/3.2.5-3.fc16.i686.PAE"
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:192:0:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.h:202:5: varning: "_DEBUG" är inte definierad [-Wundef]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.h:162:16: varning: "module_log_map" är definierad men inte använd [-Wunused-variable]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.h:175:19: varning: "module_type_map" är definierad men inte använd [-Wunused-variable]
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:33:0:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.h:202:5: varning: "_DEBUG" är inte definierad [-Wundef]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.h:162:16: varning: "module_log_map" är definierad men inte använd [-Wunused-variable]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.h:175:19: varning: "module_type_map" är definierad men inte använd [-Wunused-variable]
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.c:47:0:
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c:39:0:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c:45:1: varning: funktionsdeklarationen är inte en prototyp [-Wstrict-prototypes]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c:65:14: varning: funktionsdeklarationen är inte en prototyp [-Wstrict-prototypes]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c: I funktion "prvGetCpuId":
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c:72:18: varning: oanvänd variabel "Mode" [-Wunused-variable]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c: På toppnivå:
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_iommu.o
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_iommu.c:45:0:
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl.o
CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
LD [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
CC /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
LD [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
make[1]: Lämnar katalogen "/usr/src/kernels/3.2.5-3.fc16.i686.PAE"
build succeeded with return value 0
duplicating results into driver repository...
done.
You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel modules
done.
[Reboot] Kernel Module : dracut

I the ran ./make_install.sh as stated above. However, after reboot I was only greeted with a black screen which also happened running startx from recovery mode. Any possible solutions?

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I managed to solve the problem myself.
After upgrading to X.org 1.11.4 I decided to try to install the proprietary drivers again. This time I used the packages at rpmfusion but used kmod for my my specifi kernel instead of akmod and now it works like a charm.
Old 25th February 2012, 06:18 AM
Soulblane Offline

linuxfirefox

Just out of curiosity, is livna-config-display still a dependency of xorg-x11-drv-catalyst? The only reason I ask is that I was installing fedora on my netbook and wanted to use the proprietary driver to get hardware accelerated flash. After installing akmod-catalyst and it's dependencies, fedora kept booting to a blank screen. I recalled that livna-config-display wasn't one of the packages that yum pulled to install, which it has done in the past with the catalyst driver. May not be related to the issue but I thought it was worth a look.
Old 25th February 2012, 10:29 AM
Firewing1 Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulblane View Post
Just out of curiosity, is livna-config-display still a dependency of xorg-x11-drv-catalyst? The only reason I ask is that I was installing fedora on my netbook and wanted to use the proprietary driver to get hardware accelerated flash. After installing akmod-catalyst and it's dependencies, fedora kept booting to a blank screen. I recalled that livna-config-display wasn't one of the packages that yum pulled to install, which it has done in the past with the catalyst driver. May not be related to the issue but I thought it was worth a look.
Not anymore, although it is still required for older Fedora releases.
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:00 AM
jdredd Offline

windows_7chrome
Smile Re: Howto for fglrx / catalyst (Ati driver)

Thought I'd share, having exactly same problem:
  • blank screen
  • Fedora 16
  • both Fusion-based (a)kmod Catalyst and newest prioprietary ATI drivers
  • 3.2.7 kernel
  • X 1.11.4

After 4 hours of searching and trying all of the solutions (Grub options, xorg.conf), the one mentioned here (ArchLinux wiki) finally worked for me.

Namely:
Code:
aticonfig --acpi-services=off
Old 7th March 2012, 09:30 PM
mzt Offline

linuxfirefox

12.2 is finally released.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...x-12-2-is-here
Old 9th March 2012, 09:24 AM
tuxtard Offline

linuxfirefox

At least they fixed Xv playback this time for real.
Old 18th March 2012, 12:36 AM
GregLee Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I have (did have) Fedora 16 on a computer that seems to want the fglrx driver. Without it, Gnome 3 says it is using a fallback mode, which I guess is Gnome 2, more or less. Compared to Gnome 3 using fglrx, it's quite ugly. The first post of this thread says that I shouldn't bother trying to get fglrx to work. So I'm not going to. I have read a very small part of this long, long thread, and I thank all of you who contributed information to it -- possibly the solution to my problem is here, somewhere, but I just ran out of patience looking for it. I also tried out Ubuntu 12.04, and it lets me use the fglrx driver with no problem, so for now, goodbye Fedora.
Old 20th March 2012, 02:29 AM
goodfella Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

A lot of ideas here. My solution is simply to remove frame buffer access in the kernel. My system display
was hanging at random times with the default built kernel. I rebuilt the source with frame buffer access
removed. Fixed my random hang problem. I also noticed that weird hangs and blank screens happened
when I was changing the display modes with the default kernel. I rebuilt linux-3.2.11.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:22 AM
nrsocial Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Catalyst 12.2 for Fedora 16

I got fglrx working just fine with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series on Fedora 16 with GNOME 3 working flawlessly. It wasn't that hard or that much of a pain although I did rebuild the RPM packages from the source to get them to work.

Should I bother writing a howto on how to do that, or has everyone given up on this driver because one person said they should? I would attach the RPMs for x86_64 and the SRPMS so they could be rebuilt but the attachment sizes don't allow that.

# uname -r 3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64

Feel free to PM me if you'd like the SRPMs and know how to rebuild them, or wait until I figure out if/how I can submit packages to rpmfusion

Last edited by nrsocial; 24th March 2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added uname + screenshot
Old 24th March 2012, 02:49 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsocial View Post
I got fglrx working just fine with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series on Fedora 16 with GNOME 3 working flawlessly. It wasn't that hard or that much of a pain although I did rebuild the RPM packages from the source to get them to work.

Should I bother writing a howto on how to do that, or has everyone given up on this driver because one person said they should? I would attach the RPMs for x86_64 and the SRPMS so they could be rebuilt but the attachment sizes don't allow that.

# uname -r 3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64

Feel free to PM me if you'd like the SRPMs and know how to rebuild them, or wait until I figure out if/how I can submit packages to rpmfusion
A how to would be nice.

I spend a lot of time working out the intricacies of getting software to work on the Fedora platform and the drivers still confuse me.

ATi/AMD has a track record of !@#$ driver design. I am trying to replace my HD6870 with a GTX560TI or 6XX.
Old 24th March 2012, 03:09 PM
nrsocial Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
A how to would be nice.

I spend a lot of time working out the intricacies of getting software to work on the Fedora platform and the drivers still confuse me.

ATi/AMD has a track record of !@#$ driver design. I am trying to replace my HD6870 with a GTX560TI or 6XX.
I'll work one up later this evening after I'm done work.

I've been breaking my CentOS installations until recently, when I gave Fedora a run and saw it was more up to date which saves me from repackaging my own software. Now I break my Fedora installations.

I can agree with you there, I did notice that it wasn't installing what I wanted it to install. (AMD Catalyst which had no control over my card as opposed to ATI Catalyst which does.)
I'm pretty sure that the process is still the same for your card as mine. I'll post the link when I've finished.
Old 24th March 2012, 03:19 PM
MorphingDragon Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsocial View Post
I'll work one up later this evening after I'm done work.

I've been breaking my CentOS installations until recently, when I gave Fedora a run and saw it was more up to date which saves me from repackaging my own software. Now I break my Fedora installations.

I can agree with you there, I did notice that it wasn't installing what I wanted it to install. (AMD Catalyst which had no control over my card as opposed to ATI Catalyst which does.)
I'm pretty sure that the process is still the same for your card as mine. I'll post the link when I've finished.
I like Fedora, its an oddly good Java development platform, being fully compatible and up to date with Red Hat's and IBM's Java projects.

Sadly, JMonkeyEngine and GIMP is a load of Excrement, so I develop my games in UDK or XNA and Photoshop on Windows. Blender engine has next to no documentation, and Python is slow compared to UnrealScript and C++.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:58 AM
vall Offline

linuxfirefox

I need the ATI driver! There has not been any release in the repos since several kernels. I switched to the public driver, but it is slower. This is however not my biggest issue with it. The bigger problem is that with the public driver I have a constant CSU usage >20% no matter what. I switched to Cinnamon (BTW, I like it much better that Gnome 3!) but it did not help either. Because of this my laptop runs >10 degrees hotter than with the ATI driver. Any chance to have RPMs of the ATI driver soon?
Old 28th March 2012, 11:45 AM
leepaul

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by vall View Post
I need the ATI driver! There has not been any release in the repos since several kernels. I switched to the public driver, but it is slower. This is however not my biggest issue with it. The bigger problem is that with the public driver I have a constant CSU usage >20% no matter what. I switched to Cinnamon (BTW, I like it much better that Gnome 3!) but it did not help either. Because of this my laptop runs >10 degrees hotter than with the ATI driver. Any chance to have RPMs of the ATI driver soon?
Try the patched akmod driver package

32 bit

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/akmo...16.10.i686.rpm

64 bit

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/akmo....10.x86_64.rpm
Old 29th March 2012, 07:09 AM
mzt Offline

linuxfirefox

Catalyst 12.3 has been released :-) get it from the usual place

Tags
ati, fglrx, howto