Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th February 2012, 07:03 AM
JohnJasonJordan Offline

linuxfirefox
Can't install flash-plugin 11.1.102-62-release i386

Fedora 16, x86_64.

For the past week or so there has been a new flash-plugin in updates. But when I try to install it I get:

Quote:
Dependency Resolution Errors:
Protected multilib versions: flash-plugin-11.1.102.62-release.i386 != flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1.x86_64Dependency Resolution Errors:
Protected multilib versions: flash-plugin-11.1.102.62-release.i386 != flash-plugin-10.0.45.2-1.x86_64
Every once in a while Software Update hits me with a dependency issue, but this looks different. I don't understand the error message or how to fix it.
Old 24th February 2012, 07:50 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Can't install flash-plugin 11.1.102-62-release i386

Does this help ?

yum update --setopt=protected_multilib=false --skip-broken
Old 24th February 2012, 08:41 AM
JohnJasonJordan Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Does this help ?

yum update --setopt=protected_multilib=false --skip-broken
It might. I had to terminate the command when it asked y/n because it was going to update a bunch of other things that I cannot allow to be updated. As one example, I depend on Fontmatrix, but the current version in the repos is .99 and it won't launch. I found an .rpm of version .6 which runs fine. I don't want it to update my .6 to .99.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:57 AM
hieronymous Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi JohnJasonJordan

Your dependency resolution errors are puzzling; what do you get with
Code:
rpm -q flash-plugin
With x86_64 you should just have the 64bit version of flash-plugin. You may need to remove then reinstall it.

With your updates problem with apps like FontMatrix you can use
Code:
sudo yum -y update --exclude fontmatrix --exclude xxxxx
Old 24th February 2012, 02:37 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

your 64 bit version wasn't installed from the adobe repo. your 32 bit version is.

Adobe now has a 32 bit repo and a 64 bit repo.

To get the 64 bit adobe repo file, go to

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

select "YUM for linux" in the dropdown box for version. This will download the rpm file for the repo.

You can save and then install using yum (or open it with the installer instead of saving). This will get you your 64 bit flash repo set up for use in yum.

You may need to manually remove the 10.0.45.2-1.x86_64 version, but it may update it for you.
Old 25th February 2012, 02:06 AM
JohnJasonJordan Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
your 64 bit version wasn't installed from the adobe repo. your 32 bit version is.
Adobe now has a 32 bit repo and a 64 bit repo. To get the 64 bit adobe repo file, go to

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

select "YUM for linux" in the dropdown box for version. This will download the rpm file for the repo.
You can save and then install using yum (or open it with the installer instead of saving). This will get you your 64 bit flash repo set up for use in yum.
You may need to manually remove the 10.0.45.2-1.x86_64 version, but it may update it for you.
Thanks for the help. Got it fixed now.

First I did what hieronymous suggested:

sudo yum -y update --exclude fontmatrix
However, I forgot to exclude a bunch of kernel modules that I didn't want to install yet, so they got installed. Oh well. It also installed the update to 32-bit flash. This was the update that Yumex would not install (see error message at the start of this thread).

At the end of the process I got an error message that there were uncompleted transactions and that I needed to run <yum-complete-<something>. I did so and when it finished it said that everything was fine and nothing needed to be installed. Oh well. I hope yum is happy now.

Then I downloaded the RPM from Adobe to set up their 64-bit repository. And after that I installed 64-bit flash.

At the moment I have both 32- and 64-bit flash installed. Flash seems to be working fine in Firefox and Opera, so I'll just leave them alone. Actually, 32-bit flash worked fine before this escapade. I was just annoyed at not being able to install the update with Yumex.

So thanks for the help guys.

Tags
62release, flashplugin, i386, install