Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:54 AM
PeBar Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Unhappy Fedora 16 - only Chrome & Earth work

I have just upgraded from 14 to 16. Mostly it's was no problem. Ok, so Gnome turns its nose up at my graphics chipset and condems it as only fit for failback mode, but it is running on quite an old Dell.

More of a problem is that when it comes to connectivity, *only* Chrome and Google Earth work. (The latter being rather a surprise because usually it's the last thing I get working on a Fedora installation).

So, Chrome and Earth, no problem. Firefox - can't find anything. Dropbox, uh-uh. Thunderbird, no. Evolution, no. yum, you are kidding. Anything else, no, non, nein, nyet.

Clearly everything outside the box and all the hardware is fine or I wouldn't be in this Google closed shop. And whatever has gone astray must be something that Google doesn't bother with but which everything else on the machine needs.

Any ideas?
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:52 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Fedora 16 - only Chrome & Earth work

OK. I'll bite on this one since I saw it this morning and no one has tried to hazard a guess yet. Here's my gut reaction. Is it even remotely possible that the Google products have DNS (Google's DNS) hard coded into the software, which would explain why they work? Further, if this is possible and nothing else works how's your system DNS settings?

PHP Code:
cat /etc/resolv.conf 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:24 AM
PeBar Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
how's your system DNS settings?
Everything left automatic, as it was with F14. As an experiment I added the router address as the name server:
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain lan
search lan
nameserver 10.0.0.138
but this made no difference.

There seems to be nothing to get hold of to even start diagnosing this. At some level, it's all working, but only for Chrome & Earth. For everything else, it's not working even enough to say what's broken. The research I've done so far indicates that people have encountered a variety of problems one kind or another with moving to F16, but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that accounts for this very specific set of symptoms.
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:49 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Try adding Google's DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf

PHP Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4 
or OpenDNS

PHP Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220 
Get rid of the experimental line that you've added.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 24th February 2012, 08:53 AM
PeBar Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Try adding Google's DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf

or OpenDNS

Get rid of the experimental line that you've added.
I've done as you suggest but with no success. The symptoms were unchanged.

Having a full set of backups, I decided to make a clean install instead of upgrading in case the upgrade process had missed something. This resulted in Gnome deciding the graphics card is ok after all, but still no network connectivity, so I'm left feeling as though I've found sixpence and lost a shilling.

Network manager seems to find the router ok and sets itself up with an ip address, but nothing is visible. The router confirms that it has allocated an ip address to the Fedora box (and it's the same number).

Pinging a url shows the translation, but no response is received.

I don't think it can be anything at the router end, because the other two desktops, three laptops and assorted iPhones in the house have no trouble connecting to the internet through it.

So, I'm still looking for something that F16 does/doesn't do that's different from F14 in a big enough way to stop the internet connectivity but so subtle that it can't be seen with the naked eye.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:49 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

It's possible it is an ipv6 problem. Try going into firefox and enter about:config in the address bar. Search for ipv6 and double click it to set disable to true. If you can now browse the web then it was an ipv6 problem.
Old 25th February 2012, 10:20 PM
PeBar Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
It's possible it is an ipv6 problem. Try going into firefox and enter about:config in the address bar. Search for ipv6 and double click it to set disable to true. If you can now browse the web then it was an ipv6 problem.
Excellent! Disabling ipv6 as you suggest did the trick, and Firefox could see the Web with no problems. Clearly an ipv6-related issue. The next step was to see if disabling ipv6 completely would have the same effect on the other systems. This turned out to be extraordinarily difficult. There are many methods recommended in various places, and I tried them all. All invariably left some ipv6 ports listening and no internet access. Only one method removed all ipv6 activity, which was to edit

/boot/grub2/grub.cfg

and add to the kernel command line options
ipv6.disable=1
(as documented by the Birmingham University Particle Physics Group at

http://www.ep.ph.bham.ac.uk/general/...f15custom.html )

This removes all ipv6 activity and lo and behold, everything now connects. So, my immediate problem is solved.

BUT this leaves me wondering why the IP of the future should so thoroughly gum up the works. This must be either a router problem or an ISP problem. Since the router is an Alcatel SpeedTouch 510, simple, silent, by far the most reliable, but also the oldest piece of kit on my desk, my working hypothesis is that it is the source of the trouble and an upgrade is called for. However, that is a question for Monday.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 25th February 2012, 11:07 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

I think the decision to have ipv6 built into the kernel in F16 instead of built as a separate kernel module as in F14 does make it more difficult to disable.

For your router it is the likely source of the problem. I recommend a router that has the supported hardware specifications to allow the installation of dd-wrt firmware. I usually base my router buying decisions on this.

Tags
chrome, earth, fedora, fedora 16, firefox, internet connection, work