Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:54 PM
kldixon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
F16 : Looking for workaround for 768MB install requirement

I have been trying to find a workaround for the 768MB of RAM requirement of anaconda in F16; I have just 640MB.
I tried setting needed_ram = 0 in /usr/sbin/anaconda in a running install from Fedora-16-i386-netinst.iso. This allowed anaconda to start but after a few screens I eventually ran into the "Error: unsupported locale setting" bug.
So I thought I would look at isolinux/initrd.img to try to find out what was setting lang.
Unfortunately, I cannot parse the file. The command
Code:
xzcat initrd.img | cpio -tdvc | less
returns a listing of files to begin with, which appear to be a stage1 filesystem, and then:-
Code:
:25222 blocks
xzcat: initrd.img: Compressed data is corrupt
I am guessing that stage1 and stage2 are concatenated in some non-standard way so that only stage1 is listed and xzcat cannot handle stage2.
The same command on isolinux/initrd.img from Fedora-15-i386-netinst.iso works fine. That seems to be one big filesystem.

Does anyone know how to get into initrd.img other than by booting the iso?

Tags
768mb, f16, install, requirement, workaround