Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th February 2012, 05:53 PM
riverbuoy Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Todays update killed wireless networking...

I tried logging in today and both 3.2.5 and 3.2.6 kernels won't connect to my router. They worked when I first installed them, but not today. My router claims my laptop is connected to it, even when I switch off my laptop. I have gone back to using kernel-3.2.1 which works correctly. I have had to increase the installonlylimit in yum.conf so if the next update doesn't work I will still be able to go back to 3.2.1 Come on Fedora - get this sorted out.
Old 21st February 2012, 03:05 PM
thistletea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by urisk View Post
I'm not sure my problem fits into this thread 100%, but somewhat the description posted here by several other users fits my problem. If I select the kernel that worked beforehand in Grub while booting the problem persists though. (from here on the post is pre-typed in an editor before finding this thread)

Yesterday I installed the kernel update I was presented with and (following the recommendation at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eee_PC ) also installed Jupiter. At home (also using wlan) I did not notice any problems regarding the wifi connection after the update.

(Edit: updated from 3.2.2-1 to 3.2.3-2)

Now I'm out for the day and while working at home my wlan is now virtually unusable. Pinging the accesspoint alone, IF it works at all, results in pings between 300 and 1800. (in average at 1400 though) Programs I use that have to synchronize Data (like Anki) fail constantly and using a web browser of course: most of the time pages time out or simply are not found at all. The fluctuactions appear to be erratic and for some seconds it might work perfectly fine ... like: a webpage loads completely in a second and a few seconds later accessing a link produces a similarly positive result, but the next attempt fails completely as well as all others for like a minute or more.

I uninstalled Jupiter and I booted using the old kernel from the bootloader, but did not notice any change. What might be the reason? (As in: what changes might there be that can not be circumvented by just picking 3.2.2-1 in grub.)

btw: Other devices connected to the same accesspoint have no problems at all. It is a portable Access point "forwarding" a 3g connection, manufactured by Huawei and using the network of EMobile (Japan). (Just to make sure I also restarted that device.)

I use a Asus Eee PC 1005PE and until yesterday (before the stuff mentioned above) did not have any problems at the very same access point.

(I have to admit that I utterly lack any significant knowledge about Linux ... and I DO feel bad pestering you, who reads these lines, having such little to build upon, but since my HDD died and I did not have any money left to buy a new OS license after getting a new HDD while being abroad I just ended up here.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: for example pasting and posting this took me about 20 minutes of repeated attempts. Should have written it all on my android instead.^^

I have the same issue!! My temp remedy was to rollback to 3.2.3-2 and applied the bug fix previous posted. Even with that I consistently get random drop. I'm on the road a lot and I use my android to tether so this is getting ridiculous.
Old 21st February 2012, 05:46 PM
amodkarmarkar Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi All,
This happenes with me every time i get a kernel update. what i do is wait for 1 or 2 days. yum update gives the updates for wireless automatically. meanwhile i boot with the earlier kenrel. later after the wifi updates i boot with the latest kernel.

Regards
Amod (India)
Old 14th April 2012, 06:18 PM
hm_shurt Offline

linuxfirefox

Similar problem on F16 x86_64 since the update to 3.3.1-5.fc16.x86_64 kernel. After suspend, NetworkManager asks for password, but will not restart with the correct password. Restarting NetworkManager will not clear the problem - only a complete reboot fixes it. Wireless interface is AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express), which uses the ath9k module.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

a quick addendum--
Removing and reloading the ath9k module will bring the wireless back up correctly. So some change in the kernel or the ath9k module likely makes the module misbehave after the suspend/reawaken operation.

This problem did not occur with the 3.2 kernel and I do not believe it did with 3.3.0 either.
Old 14th April 2012, 06:55 PM
Dandapani Offline

linuxchrome

Just a follow up. I've given up on Fedora for my Asus EEE Netbook. Tired of the wireless being killed every other kernel. Sucks.

I installed Fuduntu and haven't looked back. Installed clean. Runs great. Tuned for the Netbook.

Heck, I'm even squating on Fedora 15 on my desktop and will stay here awhile even after support is up (F17 + 1 month). Everything works as is. I have a lot invested in couple of VirtualBox systems and my Java development is setup perfectly.
Old 16th April 2012, 01:34 AM
lpshark Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm_shurt View Post
Similar problem on F16 x86_64 since the update to 3.3.1-5.fc16.x86_64 kernel. After suspend, NetworkManager asks for password, but will not restart with the correct password. Restarting NetworkManager will not clear the problem - only a complete reboot fixes it. Wireless interface is AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express), which uses the ath9k module.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

a quick addendum--
Removing and reloading the ath9k module will bring the wireless back up correctly. So some change in the kernel or the ath9k module likely makes the module misbehave after the suspend/reawaken operation.

This problem did not occur with the 3.2 kernel and I do not believe it did with 3.3.0 either.
I too have the AR9285 and had the same problem(s) as you did. I believe to have found a workaround (at least for me) and am wondering if it helps other AR9285 users. Here is my original post:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=1#post1570175

fedora 18 / rhel 6.3 / centos 6.3
asus g73jw-a1 (intel® core™ i7-740qm - 2.93ghz, 8 gb ram, nvidia geforce gtx 460m - 1.5 gb vram, 2 x 500 gb seagate xt ncq solid state hybrid drives)
Old 16th April 2012, 07:38 PM
synic Offline

linuxchrome

Hi. I'm running BCM 4313 and haven't been able to connect since I upgraded to Kernel 3.3.1-5 with kmod-wl ?? .

Anyone else having trouble with Broadcom?
Old 22nd April 2012, 03:09 PM
hm_shurt Offline

linuxfirefox

Following up- the problem with ath9k seems to be fixed in the kernel update to version 3.3.2-1.fc16.x86_64. So for me this item is closed... at least for now.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:27 AM
bensonparis Offline

windows_7firefox

this type of problem can not remove for all time. But remove few time.

Tags
killed, networking, todays, update, wireless