Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 20th February 2012, 11:16 PM
spacin Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Cinnamon guide for F16 (replacement for gnomes-hell)

i totally cant figure out why when the screen shut off Cinnamon freaks out.
Old 21st February 2012, 06:43 AM
savatoge Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteague71 View Post
Just update to the latest version, and now for some reason my applets are, for lack of a better term, left justifying on my task bar (I run one on the bottem) any way to make these stick to the right like they were before, espically the workspace swithcer as they move when apps are opened or closed.

Thanks
David
Just updated to cinnamon-1.3.1-1.fc16.x86_64. Prior to the update, I had the classic panel config, with a panel at the top and bottom. Logging back in after the update, I had one panel at the top. After, setting the panel config back to classic mode, nothing appears on the bottom bar any more...plus, the workspaces taskbar item is gone. Just when I was getting into the groove with my new F16 install...

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st February 2012, 09:36 AM
kevmif Offline

linuxchrome

I have amsn installed and it does not quite get along well with Cinnamon. It will always bring windows to the front despite simply flashing the tray icon in KDE. When I right click on the tray icon, part of the menu loads behind the panel.

Can this be fixed in Cinnamon or does it have to be fixed in aMSN?

Thanks.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:41 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmif View Post
I have amsn installed and it does not quite get along well with Cinnamon. It will always bring windows to the front despite simply flashing the tray icon in KDE. When I right click on the tray icon, part of the menu loads behind the panel.

Can this be fixed in Cinnamon or does it have to be fixed in aMSN?

Thanks.

I don't know but you could report it here

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues?
Old 21st February 2012, 10:46 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatoge View Post
Just updated to cinnamon-1.3.1-1.fc16.x86_64. Prior to the update, I had the classic panel config, with a panel at the top and bottom. Logging back in after the update, I had one panel at the top. After, setting the panel config back to classic mode, nothing appears on the bottom bar any more...plus, the workspaces taskbar item is gone. Just when I was getting into the groove with my new F16 install...

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Get used to dconf-editor

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/380
Old 21st February 2012, 10:54 AM
ErikLehnsherr Offline

linuxfirefox

I can't believe it took so long to find this topic. *-*
Gonna give it a try right nooooww.
Thank you very much leigh.
Old 21st February 2012, 01:33 PM
kevmif Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
I don't know but you could report it here

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues?
Thank you Leigh. Looks like the panel covering tray icon menus for some applications including aMSN has already been reported.
Old 21st February 2012, 03:19 PM
savatoge Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Cool, thanks. That got me back to where I was, sort of...appreciate the pointer. Looks like I'll have to pay closer attention to what's going on over in the Cinnamon world...
Old 21st February 2012, 09:40 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Anyone want to try the latest git version + some font tweaks from me?, I need feedback for the fonts as I'm considering increasing them to 10pt.

As for the git changes

1. expo ( Ctrl + Alt + up arrow)
2. number of workspaces can be defined using dconf-editor
3. window manager know has "move to workspace" feature.

I'm also considering bumping the repo version to a git snapshot if the feedback is positive.
Attached Files
File Type: rpm cinnamon-1.3.1-3.fc16.i686.rpm (1.07 MB, 62 views)
File Type: rpm cinnamon-1.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64.rpm (1.07 MB, 53 views)
File Type: rpm cinnamon-1.3.1-3.fc16.src.rpm (2.32 MB, 73 views)
Old 21st February 2012, 09:50 PM
spacin Offline

Yay new toys
Old 21st February 2012, 10:01 PM
twopumpchump Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Anyone want to try the latest git version + some font tweaks from me?, I need feedback for the fonts as I'm considering increasing them to 10pt.

As for the git changes

I'm also considering bumping the repo version to a git snapshot if the feedback is positive.
Hi Leigh, I just installed the new version. First thing i notice is that all of the applets are aligned to the left side, so they are all stacked up starting at the bottom left corner and the bottom right corner is empty. When I try to drag n drop them over to the right corner, they only change order position on the left side. I like the new features, I will keep a look out for more bugs and let you know....I am hacking the new at&t galaxy note I will give it a workout hehe.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:10 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfirefox

@Leigh: I installed the 64 bit version of the new cinnamon, with mixed results.

Works as advertised.

Works if cinnamon is reloaded with alt-F2, r. However, the number of workspaces is no longer dynamic. Is that intended?

Works as advertised.

Fonts look fine!

dd_wizard

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

@twopumpchump: I had to do the following at least one update ago:
Code:
$ gsettings get org.cinnamon enabled-applets   ['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:1:show-desktop@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:3:window-list@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:0:removable-drives@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:1:sound@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:2:network@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:3:power@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:4:systray@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:5:calendar@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:6:workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org']

$ gsettings set org.cinnamon enabled-applets "['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:1:show-desktop@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:3:window-list@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:0:removable-drives@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:1:sound@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:2:network@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:3:power@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:4:systray@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:5:calendar@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:6:workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org']"
Originally, the first command listed a number of applets in the center field. I copied the output of that command into the second gsettings command and manually edited it so that all the applets were either in the left or right sections of the panel.

Hope that helps,
dd_wizard
Old 21st February 2012, 10:22 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the feedback so far.
The font tweak only applies to the default theme but could easily be applied to any theme.

Taken from my latest spec file

Code:
# adjust font size
sed -i -e 's,font-size: 9.5pt,font-size: 10pt,g' data/theme/cinnamon.css
sed -i -e 's,font-size: 9pt,font-size: 10pt,g' data/theme/cinnamon.css
sed -i -e 's,font-size: 8.5pt,font-size: 10pt,g' data/theme/cinnamon.css
sed -i -e 's,font-size: 8pt,font-size: 10pt,g' data/theme/cinnamon.css
sed -i -e 's,font-size: 7.5pt,font-size: 10pt,g' data/theme/cinnamon.css
Old 21st February 2012, 11:09 PM
twopumpchump Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_wizard View Post

[/COLOR]@twopumpchump: I had to do the following at least one update ago:
Code:
$ gsettings get org.cinnamon enabled-applets   ['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:1:show-desktop@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:3:window-list@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:0:removable-drives@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:1:sound@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:2:network@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:3:power@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:4:systray@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:5:calendar@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:6:workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org']

$ gsettings set org.cinnamon enabled-applets "['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:1:show-desktop@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:2:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:3:window-list@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:0:removable-drives@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:1:sound@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:2:network@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:3:power@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:4:systray@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:5:calendar@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:6:workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org']"
Originally, the first command listed a number of applets in the center field. I copied the output of that command into the second gsettings command and manually edited it so that all the applets were either in the left or right sections of the panel.

Hope that helps,
dd_wizard

Thanks, that fixed it right up
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:32 AM
spacin Offline

linuxchrome

new weather applet...

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17

works... even on leighs newest rpm

Last edited by spacin; 22nd February 2012 at 05:40 AM.

Tags
cinnamon, f16, gnomeshell, guide, replacement