Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th February 2012, 05:35 AM
a-cubed Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Suspend Problem on Asus N53S

I've got an Asus N53S which I installed Fedora 15 on a few months ago. The USB device manual unbind script for Ubuntu, a variant of which was suggested for Asus machines for Fedora 14, worked for me fine on Fedora 15. However, since upgrading to Fedora 16 (which also upgraded to kernel 3.2.x, now won't suspend. Hibernation works, but doesn't automatically poweroff. If I try to suspend, the disdplay goes to the bootup console which displays but is not accepting input and the other virtual ttys are inaccessible - the machine is basically hung just before entering BIOS suspend mode so far as I can tell. It would appear that the suspension process is working since I can hibernate, though again the system hangs at the boot console. So long as I wait long enough, though, a manual poweroff allows a thaw from disk on reboot, so it would appear to be the kernel telling the ACPI to enter suspend or hibernate mode that isn't working. The hibernate issue is particularly odd as standard poweroff works properly.
Old 27th February 2012, 04:45 AM
a-cubed Offline

linuxfirefox
Smile Re: Suspend Problem on Asus N53S

So, it turns out that it was the USB driver bind/unbind that was the problem. The Ubuntu-inspired script that unbound both ehci and xhci bindings wasn't working, but was also not generating any errors. The simple direct unbinding of just the ehci drivers given in another thread about Asus N*3* machines finally worked.

Tags
asus, asus n53s, n53s, problem, suspend