Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th February 2012, 04:11 AM
rbroberts Offline

linuxfirefox
Boot while docked, but still uses laptop monitor

I'm running F16 on a Thinkpad T420s with only the Intel video. When I boot, if I have the laptop in the dock with the lid closed, gdm activates both the internal and external monitors and treats them as an extension. The bad part is that everything; the login screen, the shutdown buttons, etc., are on the laptop LCD.

Once I log in, my display preferences kick in and I get the external monitor as the only display.

Oh yes, and during boot, the GRUB screen appears on the external monitor. So somewhere during boot, X is switching to use the external as primary and then I can't see anything :-( This wouldn't be so bad except the laptop is docked with the lid closed....

If I put the laptop to sleep and undock, then open the lid; the screen is scrambled; looks like every other line is shifted. The screen is sufficiently readable to shutdown and reboot (which appears to be the only way to clear this problem).

Any ideas on how to get the external display to be used exclusively when the laptop lid is closed?
Old 7th February 2012, 09:43 PM
dwsideri Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Boot while docked, but still uses laptop monitor

I use a Dell Latitutude-series laptop, so my situation is not the same. FYI, I'm using F16 with GNOME 3, with my e6400 laptop in the Dell Port Replicator docking station. With GNOME 2, I used the nvidia proprietary driver and the "main" screen was the laptop panel; the external monitor worked as a secondary screen to the "right" of the laptop panel.

In my current F16 installation, I did *not* install the nvidia driver set. When I boot with the laptop docked and the lid closed, the external monitor is used exclusively. If I boot docked with the lid open, the laptop screen is used exclusively. If I boot undocked, the laptop screen works as it should. The downside to this is that I cannot undock without a reboot.
Old 19th February 2012, 02:23 PM
alepine Offline

linuxopera
Re: Boot while docked, but still uses laptop monitor

I have the exact same login screen problem when my Lenovo W500 is docked with the lid closed and an external monitor with the same resolution connected via VGA. The boot screen shows on the external screen. After logging in the primary screen becomes the external screen.

Try this:
1. boot your laptop with the lid closed and no external screen connected.
2. wait the normal amount of time it takes for the login screen to load.
3. connect an external screen.
Where is the login screen now?
I have noticed that if an external screen is connected at a later point then the login screen will show on the external screen in a decreased resolution.

I have learned to login to a blank screen

Tags
boot, docked, laptop, monitor