I want to write an Open Letter to the Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst and Fedora Project Leader Robyn Bergeron, asking them to officially back Cinnamon in Fedora and Support the Linux Mint team in development of the DE. I started planning on my own but decided I will get more quality talking points if I involved the Fedora community. I would like to ask that you leave suggestions for talking points in support of Cinnamon, along with any "opinion leaders" quotes, blog entries etc to add credibility. I will be posting updates to the letter as I go along for critique.
If you are reading this and don't want to start a Fedora Forum account, you can email me here and I will post yours in your stead:
Guideline for Suggestions
* DO NOT attack Gnome 3 Outright. Critique it and explain why Cinnamon does XYZ better.
* This is about Gnome-Shell only, not GTK3 or Gnome Desktop Apps.
* Align your suggestions such as they align with Fedora's and RedHat's philosophies.
How to spread this? The more people giving ideas and critiquing the better quality the letter I will write. Use social media - Send this forum thread to your like minded Friends and Family - Contact your Favourite Blogger - Spam Linux IRC channels. Don't stop at Fedora related stuff, there are Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Arch etc thoroughly incensed at GNOME3 and their voice isn't being heard.
--Current Proposed Points--
- RedHat is the biggest OSS company, they have the ability to heavily influence other projects in the form of resources and support.
- It would be in RedHat's best interest to support a project such as Cinnamon to guarantee's RHEL's long term GUI usability.
- Fedora and Linux Mint have a lot of overlap, and both would benefit from working with each other to support Cinnamon.
- The Linux Mint team actively listen to user feedback and understand the Linux Desktop userspace, they would best understand the needs and wants of Fedora's target market.
- Fedora is about testing the latest Linux technology, not the latest trends. Cinnamon would be more viable in the long term over Gnome 3.
*I would love it if there was a poll for the main points, but can't see how to add one.