Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th December 2011, 05:04 PM
EddyNCFC Offline

linuxfirefox
Talking Minecraft and JRE architecture

Good afternoon,

I rapidly looked around the forum see if anyone had a similar issue and I didn't find anything, I apologize if this has already been solved.

I recently installed Fedora 16 after having lost patience with Ubuntu. Yesterday, after having messed up the graphics driver update (due to stupidity) I reinstalled the operating system, so this is a relatively fresh install.

After having played the game Minecraft a few times without any notable issues, I then installed Libreoffice writer (libreoffice-writer.x86_64) and Libreoffice Impress (libreoffice-impress.x86_64). After this install, Minecraft no longer runs sucessfully.

I get the following error message in the terminal when the game stops loading and gets stuck on a black screen:

Quote:
Exception in thread "Minecraft main thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/edward/.minecraft/bin/natives/liblwjgl.so: /home/edward/.minecraft/bin/natives/liblwjgl.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.jav a:1928)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java :1825)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:792)
at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1059)
at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:69)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:65)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:81)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:98)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:132 )
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:187)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:644)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
I run the latest Oracle JRE version 6 update 30 downloaded from their website (I downloaded the linux 64 RPM file). Nothing else was done on the machine except install the two Libreoffice programs, and if I remember correctly they also use some aspects of java (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not sure where to look to find an answer to this. What happened, and how is it possible to reverse it or fix it?

Thanks for your patience and help.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

After lots of fiddling around, I have managed to get it working. This is how I did it (if anyone ever has the same issue as me):

Although I had successfully installed Sun's JRE version 6 update 30, Fedora was still relying on the OpenJDK Runtime Environment, which I found out by typing:

$ java -version

I therefore had to use the alternatives command to install Sun's Java Runtime Environment properly. I typed (in root)

alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/default/bin/java 3

then:

alternatives --config java

There it allowed me to select the java version that would run (I selected the one in /usr/java/default/bin/java). To confirm this worked, it should say something like:

java version "1.6.0_30"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_30-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.5-b03, mixed mode)

From then, I ran minecraft.jar as usual and the error message was gone, game works.

I guess this is one further step in understand the wonders of Fedora and Linux. Hope this will help other people who are as clueless as me.

EddyNCFC

Last edited by EddyNCFC; 28th December 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 18th February 2012, 03:54 PM
TheCrazySquirel Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Minecraft and JRE architecture

I feel like crying... minecraft blackscreens even though Fedora is using JRE -.- I have no idea what could be causing this and after spending 3 days on google and different forums I am about to give up...
Old 18th February 2012, 05:17 PM
EddyNCFC Offline

linuxfirefox

Do you run it through terminal? If so, could you perhaps post the error message (if any) that appears in your terminal when Minecraft stops loading? That could be helpful, and we can try and help.
Old 18th February 2012, 05:31 PM
muep Offline

linuxfirefox

While Minecraft developers seem to discourage it, I have run Minecraft on the OpenJDK JRE as shipped in Fedora, and so far it has worked just fine for me.

Just as a note for those who do not feel like installing a proprietary JRE just for playing a game.
Old 18th February 2012, 07:35 PM
EddyNCFC Offline

linuxfirefox

TheCrazySquirel, the previous post might be a solution too. If you've only tried running it using Sun's JRE, then maybe trying OpenJDK JRE might be the way to go. Don't know if you've already tried that, but I'm guessing my short guide should work to switch back to OpenJDK JRE, as shipped with Fedora as muep so rightly pointed out.

I simply had to resort to Sun's JRE because OpenJDK didn't work.

Tags
architecture, jre, minecraft