Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th February 2012, 04:54 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfirefox
How much effort shoulld I put into learning Gnome 3?

I've discovered xfce which is pretty close to what I am used to.

I've put considerable effort into learning gnome 3, but I still don't feel I know what I am doing when using it.

I'm interested in opinions people have about how much effort I should put into learning Gnome 3 given that it may become the standard Fedora Desktop interface in future releases.
Old 15th February 2012, 05:32 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How much effort shoulld I put into learning Gnome 3?

Code:
#######  #######  ######   #######
     #   #        #     #  #     #
    #    #        #     #  #     #
  #      #####    ######   #     #
 #       #        #   #    #     #
#        #        #    #   #     #
#######  #######  #     #  #######
Old 15th February 2012, 05:56 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Code:
#######  #######  ######   #######
     #   #        #     #  #     #
    #    #        #     #  #     #
  #      #####    ######   #     #
 #       #        #   #    #     #
#        #        #    #   #     #
#######  #######  #     #  #######
Whats with the large *fonts* today?
Old 15th February 2012, 06:05 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

Given that there ARE other DE's (as you've already found out) it all boils down to how much YOU want to put into it.
Ask yourself, "what are the chances of me getting stuck using a computer that all it has on it (for a DE) is Gnome 3", & go from there.

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 15th February 2012, 06:29 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

The first thing I'd do is to upgrade to F16, so that you've got all your options open. Then, if you're running X86_64, I'd go to the Guides & Solutions Forum and set up both Cinnamon and MATE, which will give you friendly Gnome2-like DE's to switch to when you're not comfortable with Gnome3.

Personally, I've tweaked Gnome3 with gnome-tweak-tool and Gnome Shell Frippery and am very comfortable with the result.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:21 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

As bob mentioned, give it a try or just switch to different DEs. I personally use GNOME shell but I also think cinnamon is beautifully done. You can give that a go as well. I am of the opinion that you are definitely NOT stuck with a DE that you do not like. So, explore ...
Old 15th February 2012, 07:29 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The first thing I'd do is to upgrade to F16, so that you've got all your options open. Then, if you're running X86_64, I'd go to the Guides & Solutions Forum and set up both Cinnamon and MATE, which will give you friendly Gnome2-like DE's to switch to when you're not comfortable with Gnome3.

Personally, I've tweaked Gnome3 with gnome-tweak-tool and Gnome Shell Frippery and am very comfortable with the result.
I agree with your assessment. I just went ahead and installed Cinnamon just to check it out because its new. Not that I wont to go back to Gnome2 antics. I may at some point install MATE, since I'm use it on Mint12.

Then again, I'm getting very comfortable with using Ubuntu Unity. I see nothing wrong with Gnome3, and that Frippery thing looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:35 PM
ionutzz Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

gnome 3 looks really strange,
try kde
Old 16th February 2012, 02:43 AM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardevens View Post
I think you answered the question for yourself, learn xfce.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:19 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
I think you answered the question for yourself, learn xfce.
There isn't much to learn. It is pretty much the same as th e interface I am used to.
Old 16th February 2012, 05:49 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel

Quote:
There isn't much to learn. It is pretty much the same as th e interface I am used to.
And depending on the flavor of GNU/Linux you try (Xubuntu, Mint Debian with Xfce), it is chuck full of Gnome applications with a Gnome 2 style desktop. I think Mint Debian (Xfce) includes Nautilus file manager as an alternative to Thunar file manager.

Though may I humbly suggest Debian 6, with Gnome 2. And you can use backports to have up to date applications, all on a incredibly stable pleasant DE
Old 16th February 2012, 05:57 PM
fbluedevil Offline

linuxfirefox

You shouldn't have to do much to become productive with Gnome 3.

If you are just starting I would:

1) Review follow quick help desktop guides
at: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet
and: http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/
2) Visit Gnome extentions where you can tweak and modify until your hearts content
at: https://extensions.gnome.org/about/
3) Also intstall gnome-tweak-tools & gnome-do for some added versatility

IMO Gnome 3 is both very flexible and productive and there are few desktop environments I haven't used in the past. I would take some time and I think you will find yourself flying around your desktop in no time at all.
Old 16th February 2012, 06:20 PM
zKarp Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation Re: How much effort shoulld I put into learning Gnome 3?

Gnome has been and will be one of the most popular DEs. Gnome 3 with all the changes people complain and say they are gonna leave/ never upgrade to it but its like facebook. They change what people are use too and love, to something people don't understand or dislike, but then they learn to deal with it and enjoy facebook for what it is as a whole rather then avoid because of a few negatives.

I strongly feel Gnome 3 is the same and although I do prefer gnome 2, I've learned to deal with Gnome 3. Sure the topbar for menus isn't as nice as gnome 2's but i've adapted to use alt-f2/terminal executes instead which cuts down on clicks which is a linux ++. You might need to change habits but, lets be serious other then KDE, all the other DE will never be like gnome2 or 3. They don't have the back of the of large community, not alot of support, the experiance/background/good rep, don't have developers developing apps for those specifc DE's etc.

Although some Dev still support gnome2, majority are looking to the future and developing for gnome 3. Remember this when you install updated ${FAVORTIE_APP_HERE} and a dependency is gnome3 and it's respective librarys.

**The above is for non-advanced LINUX users. (Advanced linux users are basiically people who can write their own programs, create custom kernels etc etc) (Basic linux users are like advanced windows users. Know terminal stuff, some basic programming/modding)

For advanced LINUX users
If you truly don't like gnome3 I'd say then to hell with it. Xfce, LXDE, E16 etc could better suit you and the community of those respected DE's would love you too. The reason I say advanced is because these DE's aren't nessasarly support the apps you want. sure Xfce4 uses some gnome librarys but doesn't mean they are fully supported or optimized to work with XFCE. Advanced users can overcome alot of the issues that these other DE's have, if you have to time, patience and love to do it. I personally love customizing stuff to no end, so I put on arch linux and used various sub-mainstream(XFCE, LXDE, E16 etc) DE's to make it what I wanted. Although arch has alot of community behind it, arch doesn't seem to have the other variables mentioned above. So if you went outside the basic pacman repo, excluding AUR which is still somethings a hassle, it was difficult to get software unless you complied from scratch, which is the whole basis of arch, but sometimes needed minor or major modification. I ended up coming back to my childhood distro, Fedora, because all the variables for a Good DE mentioned above were true about this distro and more... *Getting off topic*

Anyways if you have the drive, will and ability to go above and beyond for some DE, to get it t work then by all means. However if you don't want to use gnome3 because of the UI I'd seriously reconsider. Yes there are mods, cinn and mate *links are in above posts* that make gnome3 look and feel like gnome2 which is ok for adapting/hardcore gnome2 people but like for facebook, I'd say look past the few flaws/negatives, deal with changes and love it for what it is as a whole.... Or you could use a metaphoric MySpace

**NOTICE**
This post is entirely opinion based. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I'm just experssing mine. Don't flame or try to call out something that is "wrong", which is opinion based. You can call out facts that are wrong tho.

Sorry for the long post, just got out of an exam that went really well and my mind is racing.

Last edited by zKarp; 16th February 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 17th February 2012, 08:38 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I'm interested in opinions people have about how much effort I should put into learning Gnome 3 given that it may become the standard Fedora Desktop interface in future releases.
As much as you want. It's strange at first, but you may find that it starts to suit you as you get used to it. Then again, you may not. If you're more comfortable switching to Xfce, then do that. Worst case, you realize that you miss GNOME3, then you can just switch back.

Gareth
Old 17th February 2012, 09:01 PM
meine Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
use whatever DE you like most. after all

this is Linux, Fedora --

you're free to choose the desktop environment YOU like most
use it and
try another /pl

if XFCE is what you like now and it works, just use it!
if Gnome3 is strange but exciting for you, just try it side by XFCE

maybe this kind of freedom feels strange, but beleve me you'll get used and addicted to it )

Tags
effort, gnome, learning, shoulld