Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 8th February 2012, 12:49 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox
Thumbs up Script Collection, minimal to multimediable GUI and more

Dear Fedora users.

0) Intro:
The idea of Script Collection got born in 1995 on MS Dos when i was using batchfiles to optimize the loading procedure, due to less ram available, and make a menu using config.sys and autoexec.bat, showing a little video on boot using 4dosgw.exe (dont recall its name properly), or using the 'net' command to communicate with friends.
However, by time the hobby died, due to the lack of possiblites with DOS / Batchfiles, but i kept some of my programming skill with VB.
Since then, i always had an eye on linux, but never actualy joined the community, until 2011 just on Fedoras 15th release where I finaly joined Linux.

1) Purpose
As Linux is somewhat of a productive playground for me, i wanted to be able to set up a new systems with as less trouble as possible. Without the need to search for every single application on every install, regardless of the distro. The idea of Script Collection was reborn
By the time i got more used to Linux, more and more ideas came along, and more scripts were made.
Most of them are ment for a one-time-use. But others are thought to be of 'everyday-use'.

As soon the minimal installation of your linux distro (atm: Fedora only) is done, you may run Script Collection, and use it regardless of the distro (TODO, atm, Fedora only) to get your linux up.
Basicly its a kind of an installer, which aims to not be limited to a single distro.

2) Functions
Typing sc in a new terminal will show a menu showing the below options.
  1. Collection
  2. Linux from Scratch
  3. Setup
  4. Support
  5. Tools

Collection
Files listed here may be executed directly from command prompt
  • yumreset: Cleans cache, kills yum process
  • pacreset: Cleans cahce, kills pacman process (arch)
  • yumresume: continues last aborted yum installation
  • vimail: opens mail from your system, such as cron
  • rmtf: ReMove TempFiles, either in all sub dirs of the directory you're in now, or in the argument provided.
  • lxscreenshot filename.jpg|png: Saves a screenshot (you have to select the range) as given name to $HOME/Pictures/Screenshots, requires ImageMagick!

Linux from Scratch
For the more advanced users of linux, or those who want to have a quick view on it: Linux from Scratch
That has went to low prio, in order to make script collection more stable. This modules guides you throught the chapters of LFS according to: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/. Its working properly up to chapter 5.5, the build of GCC.

Setup
  1. Rh specific: Basics (just as below), Multimedia (as below), Plymouth
  2. Basic applications: Ask you which list files in $scDir/system/lists shall be installed.
  3. Cron (timed actions)
  4. Desktop Enviroment
  5. Multimedia (libdvdcss,gstreamer,flash)
  6. Network
  7. Other
Cron (Timed actions)
  • gotoBed: Choose to suspend, hibernate or shutdown your computer at a given given time
  • update: Update your redhat based system at selected times.
Desktop Enviroment
  • Checks for X11, if not found, installing files found in $scDir/system/lists/de.x11
  • Checks if Multimedia (rpmfusion) is installed, if not, installing livna, rpmfusion, alsa and pulseaudio
  • Ask you if you want to install basic appliactions
  • Lets you set the default boot target (runlevel, or other)
  • Installing a DE
  • Sets up the login manager
Please Note: Installing all basic applications, ends up with abiword, gnumeric, firefox, filezilla, vlc and gedit as the most GUI apps, and some CLI tools to provide functionality. Further apache, php, mysql and some Javafiles (apps.webserver & apps.NAS)
Please note too, that i try to achieve minimal install, conerning amount of packages, with maximal functionality, and this all, while trying to keep it DE & distro independant.

Network
Not yet working as i want
Other
  • addusr: Adds a user, and asks to add to sudoers.
  • custom-shell: Changes the command prompt, my favorite is LFS: "hostname:user:curDir # "
Support
Again, the network parts dont work yet as i want them to.
In the support section, you'll find scripts to help you easy modify grub2 stuff like:
  • Timeout
  • Change boot video resolution
  • Add a windows entry

Tools
  • ff-usr-agnt: Either lets you select your useragent string manualy, or parsing for your settings
  • iso2usb: Asks where to look for iso files recursivly, lists pluged in usb-devices and writes the iso to the select usb-device.
  • pwizer: Enter a normal word or sentence, and it tries to make it a password of it.
  • siggen: Looks for your hardware system and creates a BB code that may be used for a signature.
  • upd-grb2: Updates our beloved grub2.

3) Ways to use
Open a terminal window, type sc and hit enter.
  • Use it to rebuild your grub2 menu, change grub2 default entry, or the timeout, rebuild initrd (with plymouth) easy guided from init 1.
  • Setup multimedia on your computer, including flash.
  • Copy the folder to an usb-device and execute the file 'sc' in init 1, to rebuild your grub2 menu, to change its default boot target or rebuilt initrd.
  • Use it in a VM, and create your own LFS with a CLI menu.
  • As a developer and distro hopper, you'll be loving iso2usb as well as rmtf.
  • After modification of list files, use it to quickly re-build your linux with your most prefered applications, regardless of the release version (should work on all versions of Fedora,2-19), have the collection with your modified list files on a usbkey or a seperate partition, whatever your preference is, it starts from where ever it is stored, requiring not even 100kb of storage space!

Further, a side effect of sourcing the sc.cfg, is the load display you'll face from now on in your terminals.
This enables you to use all functions the script collection uses, get a list of its command with "sc readme", if you cant scroll, you might prefer: sc readme | more.

4) Install
If you have a running system, and only want to have a menu to change your plymouth, install multimedia or having a cli iso2usb writer, i'd suggest this method:
Code:
rpm -ih http://downloads.sf.net/seasc/sc-release.rpm
source /etc/profile.d/sc.sh
The above code will install the script to: /usr/sc

5) Project Infos
Source Code (sub modules): http://sf.net/p/seasc
My project homepage: http://sea.hostingsociety.com

Hope this is of use for you.
Regards
sea

PS:
If you either have suggestions how to improve it, what might be missing, or which packages could be removed, please let me know and post here!

Personal notes for future:
Support ipv6
go minimal cli (eg. inet devices)
scnm, sclan

Last edited by sea; 30th September 2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10th February 2012, 02:19 PM
sea Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Script Collection, minimal to multimediable

* Fri Feb 10 2012 - 0.1.3-02 hotfix - Simon A. Erat (sea)
- FIX: For some unknown reason, changed files got not included, but rather their unchanged versions..
- Files: addusr, isBased, sc.de, e16 install*, apps.gui

* Wed Feb 08 2012 - 0.1.3-01 release - Simon A. Erat (sea)
- code fix: first use optimized, x11 -> adduser (incl. sudoers,) -> DE -> loginmgr -> boot target
- e16 add: Added install script for DE e16.

* Tue Feb 07 2012 - 0.1.3-rc3 - Simon A. Erat (sea)
- code opt: Review Awesome, Cinnamon and LXDE install codes
- list add: Added audio packages (alsa, pulseaudio)

* Sat Feb 04 2012 - 0.1.2a - Simon A. Erat (sea)
- Bugfix: Corrupt Grub2 timeout became Grub-Timeout and Grub-Default changer, shows grep error, but is working
- Display: Some menu entrys were shown, that were not actualy available, tools, support, grub2 and DE got mixed up
- list opt: Reduced download size of a complete 'basics' installation by 200mb

* Thu Feb 02 2012 - 0.1.2 - Simon A. Erat (sea)
- Initial RPM package release, thanks Marko, Leigh and Skull_One for your help.
Old 11th February 2012, 08:27 PM
sea Offline

linuxfirefox

Might i ask anyone willing, to test the scripts and write a small review about your impression?
On the other hand, i tried to make a 'cli gui' based upon bash, guiding you very much, aiming to help newcomers without annyoing experienced users.

Be aware that the 'Desktop Enviroment' section should work in general, and that i'm aware of the bugs (2) and currently rewriting this section for better and faster handling.

Its main purpose is to help building up a GUI system from a minimal install, changing plymouth and writing iso files to usb drives...

If you test on your live system (i develop on my live system) be aware to open a new terminal window after installation.
Same counts if you're running it from console, either source /etc/profile.d/sc.sh or log into another virtual console.

As of now, neither gnome, kde nor xfce are supported, but awesome, e16 and lxde are.

For this testing, please install it with:
Code:
rpm -i http://sourceforge.net/projects/seasc/files/sc-0.1.3-0.3.fc16.noarch.rpm/download
Thank you.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:22 PM
sea Offline

linuxfirefox

0.1.4 is out
Code:
* Sun Feb 12 2012 - 0.1.4
- ADD:		added e17 installation
- CHANGED:	reworked the Desktop Environment handling
- CHANGED:	reworked the install files of the actual DE's
- CHANGED:	reworked the install files multimedia
- FIX:		lxscreenshot, fixed save destination issue
- FIX:		loginmanger now works properly
- FIX:		sc set o addusr, now adds user properly to sudoers.
Please note, there are already gnome, kde and xfce to choose, these 3 do NOT work yet, they are just listed for testing purposes.

Last edited by sea; 12th February 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 08:45 PM
teraquad Online

linuxfirefox

Hi,
Is it possible you can write a script for FC 16 that would function as a cycling image group? I have been looking for this function. It was once possible to do this with fedora but it seems this function is lost on FC16. Gnome 3 is my current desktop perhaps that would make a difference.

Thanks!
Nexus 7, Samsung 5S, De N4ZPO Ham Radio
Old 13th February 2012, 10:14 PM
sea Offline

linuxfirefox

Nice idea, i'll have a look if a can write something up
Just matches, as i just thought about another rewrite of the setup module.
Splitting up even further, so single loginmangers can be configured, wich would offer for this to be implemented within the next few releases.

EDIT:
Yikes just figured, there's a typo in the 'install basics apps' which causes to terminate too early.
Hotfix is will be done tommorow afternoon (now is midnight here).

Last edited by sea; 13th February 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:21 PM
teraquad Online

linuxfirefox

Hi, I used the sc script to make a bootable usb drive and it worked well. The only problem i had was trying to type in the path. I kept making mistakes. I will try the other functions soon and report back.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:17 AM
sea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Would it help to have a diffrent prompt layout?
Or is the main numeric input irritating?
Old 16th February 2012, 10:56 AM
teraquad Online

linuxfirefox

No that would be too much trouble. I can not type is the real problem. The numeric menu is fine.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:00 AM
sea Offline

linuxfirefox

Good know, whould have replied earlier, if i wouldnt have thought of this message as of spam.

Anywayy, i'm 1 step closer, but i need to rename the script collection for sevreal reasons.
One of them beeing, SC is used in another distro, the alternative is imo too egomaniac.

So the 'current' optional target name is: seasc (imo too egoistic name)
So i am looking for name suggestion for this kind of script collection.
Every idea is welcome!

Thank you in advance

Just to be sure you know it:
I ask you for a name of my scripts, which will be both, name and what you have to type to execute.
I know just a few, probably less than 5 of the forum users actualy use it, but i ask for your ideas how to name this project.
If i dont get any replies (or PM's) of name suggestion, i'll provide "seasc" as an alternative to sc.

I'm aware of this beeing a guide thread, but this concerns too much on the topic (script collection) than beeing posted somewhere else (imho).

EDIT:
In order to make the script collection fitting the fedora guide lines, i had to get rid of anything not beeing in the offical fedora repos.

Last edited by sea; 23rd February 2012 at 12:07 AM.

Tags
bash, collection, linux, script, swiss