Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 23rd October 2011, 03:06 AM
maurajane Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Yum error - "Couldn't resolve host"

Thank you, marko! I wasn't aware of the default ipv6 setting in Fedora. This is most likely the entire issue. And, no, I don't have an HTTP proxy.

The first thing I always have to do with Firefox is toggle ipv6 off, so your comment makes perfect sense. I'll check through the forums for a proper how-to. I know that different distros prefer different ways of blacklisting/commenting out, etc.

I also found (finally) the Software Management Guide (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...agement_Guide/) at last. In the morning I'll check through the forums for disabling ipv6 as default and give that a whirl.

So many words to get such a simple answer...that's me in a nutshell :-)
Old 23rd October 2011, 05:08 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

It's also a really good idea to set your network.dns.disableIPv6 setting in Firefox to true

You do that by putting about:config into firefox as the url and toggle the network.dns.disableIPv6 to true
Old 25th October 2011, 03:31 AM
maurajane Offline

freebsdfirefox

It's been an ipv6 issue all along. Once /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf included the lines:
blacklist ipv6
install ipv6 /bin true

and /etc/sysconfig/network included the line:
NETWORKING_IPV6=no

and /etc/sysctl.conf included the line:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

and then a reboot, running lsmod | grep ipv6 as root returned nothing.

Then going to PackageKit, everything installed just fine

After having read about disabling ipv6 through the blacklist.conf file, I remembered that I had to go through the same thing when I test-drove F10 for a few days after its release. I'd merely forgotten that Fedora required more than simply toggling Firefox to disabling ipv6, which is all the Debian distros require.

Ah, such a fool...Someone should really post a specific sticky about disabling ipv6 upon reboot after installation, since adoption is still glacial across most ISPs. It would save a lot of energy for *real* issues. Oh, well.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:56 PM
vaibhavatul47 Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: Yum error - "Couldn't resolve host"

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxdork View Post
yeah, you can use "yumdownloaer" to get the packages and then "yum localinstall" to install the local rpms
Thanks a lot linuxdork. It worked for me.
just took care of "yumdownloader" spelling.
Earlier arrow keys were not working in the GRUB login screen on restart, but now its working fine.. thanks a lot !!

Tags
couldn't resolve host, fedora 15, updates, yum, yum error