Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th February 2012, 11:47 PM
mcojettech737 Offline

linuxfirefox
New F16 dvd iso corrupted ?

my original dvd became badly scratched so i tossed it out. I downloded the newer Fedora-16-86_64-dvd.iso image (3.5 gigs) roughly. I tried burning it with
isomaster
gnomebaker
brasero
acetone
k3b
on memorex 4.7 gig dvd-r 16x with all of them erroring out. k3b came the closest and 99 % done but hung on closing the disk, after 20 mins waiting i quit.

i downloded several more F16 realease from diff mirrors with the sam result. I was able to burn F14 & F15 dvd iso's.

i must have blown thru 10 disks... grrrrr

anyone having the same problem? my machine is fully updated.
any suggestions?

Last edited by mcojettech737; 6th February 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:50 PM
sesso Offline

linuxchrome
Re: New F16 dvd iso corrupted ?

try using dd onto a usb drive. I have the dvd install on USB.

dd if=iso-name.iso of=/dev/whatever-drive
Old 7th February 2012, 01:07 AM
mcojettech737 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesso View Post
try using dd onto a usb drive. I have the dvd install on USB.

dd if=iso-name.iso of=/dev/whatever-drive
forgot to mention that i was on a F15 machine. i'm upgrading to F16 via Preupgrade & then will try to burn another DVD iso and update this post.

i picked up a 16 gig usb thum drive a few days ago.. haven't had time to learn to use it yet lol... i still like having my floppy for letters & stuff...lol i'm old school that way LOL

Last edited by mcojettech737; 7th February 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 7th February 2012, 02:21 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcojettech737

I tried burning it with
isomaster
gnomebaker
brasero
acetone
k3b
Then I guess it's safe to say that it's not the burning software.

Try changing something else. Anything else. To me, a glaring candidate to try changing is the brand (or at least the batch) of blank disks. There are good brands and not-so-good ones. And there is not always a correlation between a famous brand name and high optical quality.

Quote:

I was able to burn F14 & F15 dvd iso's.
Today though? Probably not, so you also have to consider the burner. Those things can gradually (or suddenly) stop producing good burns. And their tolerance for reading or playing marginal disks can change, too (even when it just burned it). If nothing else works, then try to isolate that variable by transferring the ISO file to another computer (and burner) and burn it again.

Quote:

i downloded several more F16 realease from diff mirrors with the sam result.
You never mentioned it, but I guess you verified the integrity of the downloaded files (or somehow know they are good).
Old 7th February 2012, 08:15 AM
mcojettech737 Offline

linuxfirefox

[QUOTE=stoat;1552915]Then I guess it's safe to say that it's not the burning software.

Try changing something else. Anything else. To me, a glaring candidate to try changing is the brand (or at least the batch) of blank disks. There are good brands and not-so-good ones. And there is not always a correlation between a famous brand name and high optical quality.

Today though? Probably not, so you also have to consider the burner. Those things can gradually (or suddenly) stop producing good burns. And their tolerance for reading or playing marginal disks can change, too (even when it just burned it). If nothing else works, then try to isolate that variable by transferring the ISO file to another computer (and burner) and burn it again.

You never mentioned it, but I guess you verified the integrity of the downloaded files (or somehow know they are good).[/QUOTE

preupgrade isnt working either on boot up to F16 it gets locked by alsa usb sound that is automatically installed
its automatically downloaded & installed by preupgrade. ...
Old 8th February 2012, 03:12 AM
mcojettech737 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
Then I guess it's safe to say that it's not the burning software.

You never mentioned it, but I guess you verified the integrity of the downloaded files (or somehow know they are good).
i had to uninstall all my burner apps with yum & reinstall them.. they all worked except K3b

Tags
corrupted, dvd, f16, iso