Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th February 2012, 02:22 AM
mitchprater Offline

linuxfirefox
New F15 Installation on HP-Envy-17: ATI driver?

Hi,

I'm installing Fedora 15 (x86_64) on an HP-Envy-17 Laptop. I've done the install, and run some yum commands to update the software and kernel - though I'm not 100% sure if I've really done it right.

Gnome3 was the initial gui. It would only start in fallback mode (I think it's called) and was using the vesa driver. After checking around, I found some info about Gnome and ATI drivers that said KDE might work better, so I installed that. It is better, in that it doesn't resort to fallback mode, but it's still not using the ATI drivers. The main issue with the vesa drivers is that the highest resolution is 1600xsomething and the screen's native resolution is 1920x1080, so I get a poor quality and distorted display.

Based on some instructions I found in various places, I've attempted to install different drivers, but so far no change. At this point I don't really know what's installed (and don't know how to check either).

The GPU is the 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7690M. I knew I might be in trouble going with a non-Nvidia GPU, but I hoped I might get lucky. There is a new Calatyst driver here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx. I'm not really sure what that is or what to do with it though.

Any help I can get resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! mitch

Tags
ati, driver, f15, hpenvy17, installation