Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st January 2012, 04:57 PM
jazzer Offline

linuxfirefox
nspluginwrapper (flash) and firefox issues

I was hoping someone could answer this, when I have the flash plugin (x64) installed along with nspluginwrapper for Adobe Reader and I visit my photography blog the flash slideshow doesn't load because the flash plugin appears to crash. If I remove the nspluginwrapper the flash content on the site loads as its supposed too.

Now, I'd rather have flash fully functional and working so I am happier without nspluginwrapper and having firefox just load PDF's externally. I was wondering if there was a way to have nspluginwrapper only for Adobe Reader and flash x64 standalone?

The site is http://davidwarrenphotography.wordpress.com . I'd be happy to know your results because I care that the content loads. I can only do so much about the flash content, if I want a slideshow on the site at all, with wordpress.com you have only so many options. I don't know of a way of using a PHP gallery instead, if I did I would. The site loads all the content on every other browser I've tried so it's pretty much a non-issue for me.
Old 31st January 2012, 08:17 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: nspluginwrapper (flash) and firefox issues

If you want pdfs in firefox, you try mozplugger. I don't remmeber - but I don't think it needs nspluginwrapper but I could be wrong.

Also, your website loads quite well for me (firefox). Since you mentioned about php slideshow, I have found this to be very good for me. I do not know if this suit you, but take a look - php slideshow for webpages.

Good luck.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:15 AM
jazzer Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks! I should've thought of that solution. I used to use mozplugger for a lot of things.

I'd love to put a PHP gallery within my wordpress.com blog however wordpress.com stops you from doing any scripting or direct embedding from another site. The only way to get a flash applet inside of a wordpress.com site it is to do the following: upload the flash gallery to a hosting site it (I'm using dropbox for this), then subscribe to a service called vodpod, link the flash gallery to vodpod, and, finally, wordpress then allows you to embed the vodpod "video" into a page or post. Complicated, yes, and the end result is only the flash applet loads within your wordpress post. Wordpress is my preference for a blogging platform, mostly because I prefer it's templates and like the open source aspect behind it.

One day when perhaps my funds allow, I may setup my own wordpress page on a server/host. Until then this free service more than meets my needs.

Thanks a bunch for letting me know it loads for you.
Old 5th February 2012, 04:56 AM
GregLee Offline

linuxfirefox

I think one of us is confused about what nspluginwrapper does. If you have a 64-bit version of Firefox, it will not work with plugins that are meant for a 32-bit Firefox. But nspluginwrapper will (maybe) fix your problem by converting a 32-bit plugin into a 64-bit plugin. Once nspluginwrapper has done its work, it doesn't matter whether it remains installed on your system. The new 64-bit version of the plugin can be used with your 64-bit Firefox independently of what you decide to do about other plugins you might have this problem with.

(This system of deriving plugins for use with 64-bit Firefox never worked very well, for me, and I finally gave up and went back to using a 32-bit version of Firefox. However, my 32-bit libflashplayer.so in my 32-bit Firefox still crashes frequently.)
Old 5th February 2012, 05:11 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Sorry, I misread your statement above

But there is no need to revert to 32bit firefox or run nspluginwrapper anymore just to run flash player. the 64bit flash player is working fairly good now.
Old 5th February 2012, 05:58 PM
jazzer Offline

linuxfirefox

?

Strange. I'm not sure how any of what either I wrote or what nonamedotc wrote would imply we are confused about what nspluginwrapper does. Simply with nspluginwrapper installed, that is needed by the Adobe Reader plugin, my flash plugin is wonky. Without nspluginwrapper my flash is not wonky. Seems simple.

And given I'd rather have flash working properly this remark on a response that was already marked [SOLVED] by me is confusing. And mozplugger does work for loading Adobe Reader inside firefox instead of using nspluginwrapper that was causing flash instability for me so this issue was really marked as solved.
Old 5th February 2012, 07:30 PM
GregLee Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer View Post
Simply with nspluginwrapper installed, ...
Well, never mind then. I was just pointing out that it doesn't matter whether nspluginwrapper is installed.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:22 PM
jazzer Offline

linuxfirefox

Not trying to say you weren't trying to help, but no matter how I slice it nspluginwrapper being installed has an effect on my flash installation and without nspluginwrapper the 32bit plugin for Adobe Reader doesn't load in 64bit firefox.

So yes in actual application it does matter. Appreciate the suggestion, tho.

Tags
firefox, flash, issues, nspluginwrapper