Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd January 2005, 11:17 AM
osso Offline

Angry ./configure does not work or missing

Hello,

I'm a newbie and beginner on learning Linux uising FC3.
Can someone please figure out the issue why i'm not able to run this command ./configure when i wanna install a sofware?
I tried to run whereis ./configure command and got only like this "configure:"
Old 23rd January 2005, 12:22 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Well, first of all you should not really be trying to compile programs if there are any rpm versions, or better yet, if YUM or APT can handle it for you. Have you tried a YUM SEARCH for the specific program? If you've checked ALL the repositories available thru yum and found nothing, then do a google search for the program + 'rpm'. That will generally turn up a version specifically designed for Red Hat or Fedora. The reason for all of this is the dependency issues. You can really mess up your entire machine if you've tried to solve dependency issues yourself and affect other programs.

All that said, ./configure is not necessary for some programs - they're already set. The normal response then would be 'nothing to configure'. The next step would be to try and use the 'make' command and see if you get the expected response, followed by 'make install'. All this of course is done as 'su', and inside the right directory.

In this case, we don't know the name of the program so it's difficult to figure out exactly. You might try copying and posting your exact input and response if you get nowhere.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 23rd January 2005, 04:10 PM
terr9898 Offline

What errors do you get when you run the ./configure command?

Justol'bob is correct: it is much easier from an admin point of view, to use RPMs to install the apps you need. Installing through YUM/APT would be my first course of action. Of course, there will be times, an application will not have a rpm for Fedora and you have to compile.
Old 23rd January 2005, 08:01 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

Don't install software from source code, this is an ancient method of installing software now used only by nostalgic morons and developers.

See www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware on how to install software the smart way.
Old 23rd January 2005, 11:31 PM
barisurum Offline

Look at the output, it will probably say something about gcc, c++ not working or missing. You have to install the compiler collections and tools. The one must have is gcc and gcc++.
Come on foolish... There are many programs out there without RPM packages. One must learn to configure-compile-install-software.
Old 24th January 2005, 02:54 AM
veritas Offline

yep...gotta compile

I just loaded an hp printer driver. go to their site...you have to compile...they don't do rpm's. I know others often turn such things into rpms, but sometimes those translations go awry...or at least they do for me.

I couldn't compile once and it was indeed because of the gcc...sometimes it says g++ but I think it will be the gcc files you'll need. Synaptic or yum should find them for you.
Old 24th January 2005, 08:29 AM
osso Offline

justol'bob,

I have tried to go through execute make command and got this output "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."
Sorry :-) the program that i wanna install is HijackThis.exe

I am gonna try your first solution that seems all advise me to do that.

Thx
Old 24th January 2005, 09:10 AM
backroger Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by osso
justol'bob,

Sorry :-) the program that i wanna install is HijackThis.exe

Thx
Is'nt that a Dos/Windows file? Why do you want "HijackThis.exe" in linux for?

I think you don't need it.

Last edited by backroger; 24th January 2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 24th January 2005, 01:05 PM
krisnalada Offline

yeap, agree with backroger.
if you really want to execute this file, you will need wine intalled and then types wine HijackThis.exe.

Seeing the name of this file, it looks like a viruse to me but ....

kris

NB : in order to execute ./configure, you need to have a configure file in the repertory of the sorftware you are trying to install.
in order to compile a software with make, you will then need a Makefile file in the repertory of the software you are trying to install.
Old 24th January 2005, 01:08 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Osso, Backroger is correct. HijackThis.exe is not for linux and you should not be trying to install it. Here's a link to the site -http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html Notice it refers to the Registry and makes no mention of Linux, only Windows. It IS a great aide for Windows machines, as is CWShredder - I use them both when friends are in trouble.

When in doubt, it's always a good idea to check the file - if it ends in ".exe", it's for Windows; Linux files should end in .rpm, .tar, tar.gz, etc.

Okay, enuf on that. So, you must have a problem if you're looking to download a program that restores your homepage. What's going on?
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Last edited by justol'bob; 18th February 2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:28 PM
mike keenor Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: ./configure does not work or missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Well, first of all you should not really be trying to compile programs if there are any rpm versions, or better yet, if YUM or APT can handle it for you. Have you tried a YUM SEARCH for the specific program? If you've checked ALL the repositories available thru yum and found nothing, then do a google search for the program + 'rpm'. That will generally turn up a version specifically designed for Red Hat or Fedora. The reason for all of this is the dependency issues. You can really mess up your entire machine if you've tried to solve dependency issues yourself and affect other programs.

All that said, ./configure is not necessary for some programs - they're already set. The normal response then would be 'nothing to configure'. The next step would be to try and use the 'make' command and see if you get the expected response, followed by 'make install'. All this of course is done as 'su', and inside the right directory.

In this case, we don't know the name of the program so it's difficult to figure out exactly. You might try copying and posting your exact input and response if you get nowhere.
This has been around a while but when I see tar.bz2 I think yup ./configure wont work, this is to update thunderbird, any clues?
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:38 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox
Re: ./configure does not work or missing

Thread closed, start a new thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
missing, or configure, work