Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th January 2012, 12:51 AM
zenman Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi there!

I've just installed FEDORA 16 on my IBM LENOVO THINKPAD T60, works perfectly, and it's very fast! Suprising, because THINKPAD is almost five years old notebook.
I'm writer and screenplay writer, I was UBUNTU fan, I was "consumer" of Ubuntu for over five years, but, to be honest, I find very difficult (perhaps I didn t wrote last word cor. to work in Fedora. I want something to ask here, you, and I hope you will respond me in a short time. (Sorry for my poor language, well I am Serb from Bosnia and hate Srbs... just kidding.

Well, i installed Fedora, everything went perfect; I started UPTADE SOFTWARE - very similar to Ubuntu - but my conection went out, so I restared UPDATE... So far, everything is ok.

1. I am wondering why I can make, for eg, new folder on desktop "surface"? or why I can't find OpenOffice package in let s call it like that, Fedora repository (add/remove software app);
2. What is X WINDOW anyway? Don t understandit at all.
3. What about desktop. How come FEDORA uses Gnome etc. and I can't make folder on desktop or copy something on desktop surface (I mean, I can put copy and make folders in folder Desktop... but) I would like to see some of my fav apps on desktop...
4. Well my OS is fresh and I didn't touch anything. I am planing to remove some software that I don't really need / like: Firefox, MoviePlayler. I'd like to put VLC etc.

And my final question is going to be very, very hard... I found this on the Internet www.maconlinux.org/

And I don't know how to install it! Can somebody be so kind to reffer me to some texts or explain to me step by step what should I install on Fedora to install MacOnLinux (I am using some free distraction writers from MAC OS, such as Ommwriter), because every time I try to compile .tar.gz... in terminal he answers me that something is wrong with the frame or header or something like that... Is there any WIZARD like in ****** Windows to instal it. (I red about Yast in OpenSuse, but...).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

If is somebody interesting in making linux only for writers, screenwriters, stageplay writers I will voluonture as copyrighter... something minimal, lightweight etc.

After everything you red in my post, is there any important step (besides my questions) that I should make from now. Untill you people answer me I will only use FireFox in Fedora 16.

THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN AND SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH ONCE AGAIN!

Looking forward for your answers!
Old 28th January 2012, 01:07 AM
JamesNZ Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Newbie

1. Install the gnome tweak tool (yum install gnome-tweak-tool), that has settings to let you put icons etc on the desktop. Openoffice is not included with fedora anymore, it's been replaced by libreoffice (a fork of openoffice). You can install that by running as root:
Code:
yum install libreoffice
2. I'm not too sure either

3. The gnome tweak tool lets you do that.

4. You can remove software with yum (fedora's package manager) by running:
Code:
yum erase softwarename
And you can install software by running:
Code:
yum install softwarename
HTH

- Jesus
Old 28th January 2012, 01:09 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

openoffice is no longer in the Fedora repo's because development on it pretty much has ceased and was forked off to libreoffice (most of the developers went to libreoffice as well) libreoffice is in the Fedora repo.

To get your icons on your desktop, install gnome-tweak-tool then in your applications overview, run Advanced Settings in the Left hand pane, select Desktop and then in the right hand pane toggle Have file manager handle desktop to On. You will need to restart gnome for the setting to take effect.

X Window (or X11) is what handles the graphical interface. Here is a overview of what it does:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

I would suggest Dangermouse's AutoPlus script to help you get some of the extra things installed, like audio/video codecs and vlc, etc... You can find it in the setup guides in here, or the direct link to his site is:
http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/
Old 28th January 2012, 01:24 AM
zenman Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks people!

Thanks for Auto...

How can I renew / update repository from terminal? What is command for refresh-packagekit ?

Is there anywhere on the internet info about basic commands in Fedora?

Thanks again,

all best
Old 28th January 2012, 01:51 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome

Code:
 yum update
This will update the repository. To learn more about linux, take a look at this.
Old 28th January 2012, 02:36 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

here is a Fedora user guide:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ide/index.html

Tags