Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th January 2012, 07:49 AM
yoshimitsuspeed Offline

linuxfirefox
Synaptic package manager want's to use deb

I have alwyas installed synaptic as a secondary package manager. I prefer the way it lists things and is always nice to have a backup for when kpackagekit dies (more common back in the day).
Anyway on this install of FC16 if I go to therepositories in synaptic they don't look like the system repo list and if I click them they go from saying repomd to deb. If you try to modify or add a repo it only gives you the option of DEB, not RPM. WTH?
Old 25th January 2012, 08:37 AM
muep Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Synaptic package manager want's to use deb

Synaptic is a front end to APT, which was originally written specifically for managing .deb packages and package repositories that use the Debian layout. APT has been ported to work with RPM packages, too, but I could easily imagine that small details like what you found may easily be left inside programs that were originally written for Debian system and which are rarely used on RPM-using ones.

For managing packages on Fedora, I'd strongly recommend using Yum-based tools instead of those built on APT. Even though APT and some related programs can work with RPM packages, they are probably used by few users and developers.
Old 26th January 2012, 01:26 AM
yoshimitsuspeed Offline

windows_7firefox

I hadn't thought about it but when I was running Ubuntu may have been the last time I had Synaptic working. I thought I'd used it in Fedora but I could well be wrong.

Well then I guess maybe I can find another solution. Here's an example of why I like synaptic. Oh and BTW I am running KDE. In kpackagekit or whatever they just changed the name to it doesn't seem to list all the package options. If I look up mesa it shows it but if I am looking for the 32 bit I don't see it. If I open up synaptic it shows them as separate files.
Are there other package managers that I could try? What is Gnomes primary package manager in Fedora?
Old 26th January 2012, 02:17 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Try installing yumex and see if it works for your needs. Many features are very similar to Synaptic.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 14th February 2012, 03:11 AM
itsjustarumour Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshimitsuspeed View Post
Here's an example of why I like synaptic................................ If I look up mesa it shows it but if I am looking for the 32 bit I don't see it. If I open up synaptic it shows them as separate files.
Having exactly the same problem as you, and for exactly the same reason!

On Fedora 16, I've been trying to troubleshoot Google Earth 64-bit, which in reality uses 32-bit libraries - had all manner of problems, and I *have* now got it working - but Synaptic is really really useful as a package manager in such situations.

I've been using Synaptic in every Fedora install I've done since Fedora 9, and never had a single problem, so I'm a bit stumped as to why its not working properly now.

PS @Bob - Yes, thats a good tip using Yumex, and its always one of the first packages I install, but it still doesn't always give me what I need
Old 14th February 2012, 03:33 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustarumour View Post
Having exactly the same problem as you, and for exactly the same reason!

On Fedora 16, I've been trying to troubleshoot Google Earth 64-bit, which in reality uses 32-bit libraries - had all manner of problems, and I *have* now got it working - but Synaptic is really really useful as a package manager in such situations.

I've been using Synaptic in every Fedora install I've done since Fedora 9, and never had a single problem, so I'm a bit stumped as to why its not working properly now.

PS @Bob - Yes, thats a good tip using Yumex, and its always one of the first packages I install, but it still doesn't always give me what I need
What's wrong with just using yum? Want to search for all mesa files?...
Code:
BASH:~/-> yum list mesa*
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto
Installed Packages
mesa-dri-drivers.i686                                                      7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-dri-drivers.x86_64                                                    7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-dri-filesystem.i686                                                   7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-dri-filesystem.x86_64                                                 7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-libGL.i686                                                            7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-libGL.x86_64                                                          7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-libGL-devel.x86_64                                                    7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-libGLU.i686                                                           7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-libGLU.x86_64                                                         7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
mesa-libGLU-devel.x86_64                                                   7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      @updates
Available Packages
mesa-demos.x86_64                                                          7.10-5.20101028.fc16                                               fedora  
mesa-dri-drivers-dri1.i686                                                 7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-dri-drivers-dri1.x86_64                                               7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libEGL.i686                                                           7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libEGL.x86_64                                                         7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libEGL-devel.i686                                                     7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libEGL-devel.x86_64                                                   7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libGL-devel.i686                                                      7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libGLES.i686                                                          7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libGLES.x86_64                                                        7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libGLES-devel.i686                                                    7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libGLES-devel.x86_64                                                  7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libGLU-devel.i686                                                     7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libGLw.i686                                                           6.5.1-9.fc15                                                       fedora  
mesa-libGLw.x86_64                                                         6.5.1-9.fc15                                                       fedora  
mesa-libGLw-devel.i686                                                     6.5.1-9.fc15                                                       fedora  
mesa-libGLw-devel.x86_64                                                   6.5.1-9.fc15                                                       fedora  
mesa-libOSMesa.i686                                                        7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libOSMesa.x86_64                                                      7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libOSMesa-devel.i686                                                  7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates 
mesa-libOSMesa-devel.x86_64                                                7.11.2-1.fc16                                                      updates

Tags
deb, manager, package, synaptic