<---- template headericclude ----->
VirtualBox on Fedora 15 with Windows seven guest.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VirtualBox on Fedora 15 with Windows seven guest.

Greetings to all,

I have VirtualBox 4.x running on Fedora 15. So far so good with the exception that I would like to access
    the rest of my data on the Fedora box from the Win 7 guest. I setup the share on VB but I can't see it on Win 7. I'm able to see my windows 2008 PDC with no problems but can't see data on the Fedora machine. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VirtualBox on Fedora 15 with Windows seven guest.

You probably have to set up samba on Fedora for the Windows machine to see it. (Or, quick and easy way--install winscp, free download on Windows, and just use it to copy files between them.)

Setting up samba isn't that hard, but as everyone's situation differs, you might check the forum and just google for relatively recent tutorials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks smr54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does't creating a shared folder with full privileges work for accessing your fedora data? I have had the EXACT same setup and I was able to access Fedora data as 'another' partition on my Windows 7 guest. I did not use samba. Could you elaborate a bit more on your problem? Is your user in the group 'vboxusers'. I am sure you have guest additions installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response, yes, I have a share with full access but it's not available. I have not set up Samba. I did put user in vboxgroup.

I just reinstalled additions about an hour ago, some is broken on my system now , initially mouse capture would relinquish upon hitting the right crt key and I can access the host system, now it takes full control of mouse lock me into the windows VM.

Is there a way to verify in fact the the additions are working or installed OK?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Cyberjet; 16th January 2012 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two fairly ways to check I suppose. One is to check whether the guest additions are installed are inside windows. other one is two see under the extensions tab under preferences menu of the virtualbox interface. Unfortunately, I do not know of any command line tools with respect to Virtualbox. Sorry..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your response. Upon further investigation, I found that guest addons were not installed. I went to the wrong link and installed the DKMS module.

I just can not understand how taking a snapshot of the original system caused the mouse to capture permanently. This was a working system, now when I start the VM I have two message boxes that need to be close but I can not click to close them because they stay behind the host.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Thanks nonamedotc,

Problem Solved! Thanks for all the responses but I had to re-create the image as I was on a tight schedule. All my efforts to salvage the image were not successful. I installed guest addons by running the executable from the CDROM. It installed successfully but for some unknown reason the VM kept control of the mouse. I found interesting that in order to log into the VM you had to do: CRTL+ALT+DEL as opposed to the define: CRTL+DEL as define in the documentation. In any case everything is working as it should with a fresh install.

Regards,