Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th December 2011, 03:56 AM
0Virus Offline

windows_7ie
What else will I need to get started...

I want some advice on setting up a web server. Previously I have been using Webmin to manage my server but I am trying to preserve as much cpu and memory as possible. Webmin installs a lot of software I don't want and will never use. The website is a large forum which doesn't really need anything much more than apache, php, and mysql - or at least I think.

Will I be alright in just using?
yum install httpd2
yum install php php-mysql
yum install mysql-server

I am using a hardware firewall which block all incoming ports except 80 and 22, although 22 is IP specific.

Am I missing anything from the above, like any apache modules, selinux, suhosin, mcrypt, or php-cli? I don't really know what else I need.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 0Virus; 26th December 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:02 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: What else will I need to get started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Virus View Post
I want some advice on setting up a web server. Previously I have been using Webmin to manage my server but I am trying to preserve as much cpu and memory as possible. Webmin installs a lot of software I don't want and will never use. The website is a large forum which doesn't really need anything much more than apache, php, and mysql - or at least I think.

Will I be alright in just using?
yum install httpd2
yum install php php-mysql
yum install mysql-server

I am using a hardware firewall which block all incoming ports except 80 and 22, although 22 is IP specific.

Am I missing anything from the above, like any apache modules, selinux, suhosin, mcrypt, or php-cli? I don't really know what else I need.

Thanks in advance.
Most forum software requires php-gd
Old 26th December 2011, 01:06 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Read the forum software's installation instructions and the manual and then install perquisites before you start the forum installation.

Or the hard way: install Apache with PHP core and MySQL if you know that's the database your forum software requires. Then start your forum installation and install missing modules as reported by the installer.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 26th December 2011, 11:49 PM
0Virus Offline

windows_7ie

My forum doesn't require GD because the captcha is powered by Recaptcha.
Apart from the forum software requirements, you can't see anything missing from the server?
Old 28th December 2011, 10:22 PM
0Virus Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

I've given up. There are too many tutorials and articles on the subject and most of them providing conflicting information. I don't have the time to keep trying different setups as per each article. I have therefore gone back to using Webmin.

Thanks anyway.
Old 28th December 2011, 10:32 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Marked as "solved" (personally) since there's nothing more to add. Good luck to you and thanks for exploring a bit. Hope it all works out, but we'll be here if you want to give it another try.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Tags
apache, lamp, mysql, php, started, web server