Some websites fail to load [SOLVED]
This post is hoped to be of possible use to anyone having problems with some websites and adobe downloads.
/** Check router firmware, check router firmware, check router firmware............ **/
For the last couple of years (yes taken that long to sort out) I had been suffering from certain websites not loading (just hanging) and not being able to download from certain sites (Namely Argos, Screwfix, MSN, Mozilla and Adobe websites).
Although in fairness it has been just spending a few hours every month or so trying to google a solution and playing with all sorts of router settings combinations, the amount of time spent and frustration suffered has been considerable.
Initially I suspected an ISP issue and tried to resolve this with my ISP (Supanet), what a total waste of time that proved to be. I will leave my thoughts on the support expertise offered by supanet to your imagination. Though I accept you get what you pay for.
In frustration I next went to town on the settings on my Netgear router, culminating in finally managing to totally destroy it with a failed attempt at a firmware update.
Forced to purchase a new router ( Edimax AR 7284 WnA) only to find the same problem existed at this stage I just gave up for a while concluding:
1. Not an ISP problem (well if it was, nothing they could do about it anyway)
2 Could not be a router problem as I had changed the router (different makes)
3 Not a computer problem as I run many computers including XP, Vista and windoze 7 machines in addition to my favoured Fedora computers. The same issues on all of them.
4. Above all firmware updates are an expensive hobby.
Recently the problem had become more severe and the pressure of family members increasingly complaining that certain games would not work finally made the issue more important. I needed to give things another try. So first I would try again with another router (A newer Netgear model, as I prefer the simpler set up pages). If that fails I would change ISP( Something I did not really wish to do, as my email addresses are well established and did not really want to have to change them).
During my prior failed attempts to resolve the issue, there was a degree of confusion as my old netgear required PPPOA to be used , yet my edimax would only connect when set to PPPOE ( indeed did not matter whether it was set to LLC or the VCMUX).
So it was back to my ISP to try and drag out of them the actual settings they declare as being the correct ones. They confirmed yet again only PPPOA with VCMUX for a supanet connection would work and cannot explain why the edimax only works when set to PPPOE.
Anyway if you have followed this so far, you may have guessed having nothing to lose and before setting up the new netgear, I thought I would really go to town on the edimax and risk a firmware update on it (mainly to see if the PPPOE/PPPOA confusion was something sorted by an edimax update).
This time no destruction of a router but resulted in a perfectly functioning internet, every thing works just fine.
Please note I have my mtu set to 1500 following advice from Edimax support and as recommended by google search results. This had actually improved things for a while some time back. May return to an 1492 mtu (No only joking not going to touch a thing now, well until the next time that is)
I hope this may help someone, it would of helped me :-)
/** Check router firmware, check router firmware, check router firmware.......... **/
Dual Boot F14 x86 64 and Vista DeskTop
(intel dual, 2GB, Nvida 7300LE(nivida drivers))
F13 x86_64 Desktop ( AMD64, 3GB,Nvidia 7300LE)
Home Network Edimax AR7284 Wna wireless router
1 XP Desktop and a Zyxel DMA1000
2 windows laptops (vista and win7),
2 desktops (win7 & XP/F16 dual boot(intelpro PCI 2915)),
1 FC16 laptop
Unwashed and some what slightly dazed.