Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:07 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 15 won't open after updates

Check for a .xsession-errors file. Sometimes the problem will be shown there instead of the /var/log/Xorg log file.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:27 PM
saqer Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
Check for a .xsession-errors file. Sometimes the problem will be shown there instead of the /var/log/Xorg log file.
I moved .xsession* files to different names and rebooted. The computer did hangup but no new .xsession file was created. Well, I digged into the issue and realized that during my failing yum update, my kdm got lost and was removed without the new kdm installed. I installed kdm and I am back at full throttle

Thank you guys for the help.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:17 PM
hbaird Offline

linuxfirefox

I tried
yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update microcode_ctl
and got
No Packages marked for Update
Any suggestions? I am able to boot on and older Kernel and have akmod which has worked for most of F 15.
Old 4th August 2011, 03:55 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

the microcode_ctl package has been pushed int the regular updates repo, it is no longer in updates-testing. You should get it if you do a regular yum update unless you already updated it.

Unless you were specifically having a problem with the microcode upon boot, just updating that package probably won't fix you r problem. What issues are you having?

Last edited by DBelton; 4th August 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 5th August 2011, 07:27 AM
prince93 Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by saqer View Post
I moved .xsession* files to different names and rebooted. The computer did hangup but no new .xsession file was created. Well, I digged into the issue and realized that during my failing yum update, my kdm got lost and was removed without the new kdm installed. I installed kdm and I am back at full throttle

Thank you guys for the help.
can you tell me in steps how to solve this problem, I had a similar problem

I accidentally installed the new kernel 3.1.1 fc17, and since then I had the same problem as yours, the white icon at the startup gets filled and the fedora icon appears and sits there.

I have intel graphics chipset, never installed special drivers or so

I can see in the text console that everything is going right.. no error messages (in red right?)

I can login as root too.. but I don't know what to do. I removed the latest kernel rc0 fc17 using rpm -q and rpm -e but the older kernels still have the same problem..

waiting for your help

edit: I didn't run through troubles while updating.. all went fine

Last edited by prince93; 5th August 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 1st November 2011, 12:51 PM
DotrainExpress Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
the microcode_ctl package has been pushed int the regular updates repo, it is no longer in updates-testing. You should get it if you do a regular yum update unless you already updated it.

Unless you were specifically having a problem with the microcode upon boot, just updating that package probably won't fix you r problem. What issues are you having?
I'm actually having the same problem he was having. Fresh install of Fedora 15 and then a yum update. Worked fine until I installed php and enabled openssh. I rebooted and the screen went blank after the default splash screen (would only show a fraction of the Fedora logo and then went blank). I was able to press 'tab' and select an older kernel (2.6.38) and boot fine but not able to load 2.6.40 (just goes blank again). I've tried updating again but says there's nothing to update.

Sorry for the lack of details... linux rookie here

Tags
fedora, open, updates