Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 21st September 2011, 07:51 AM
GuardianOfAura Offline

linuxfirefox
Rhythmbox instantly crashes @ edit --> preferences, F15 KDE x64

Hello. Refugee here from Linux Mint 10 KDE x64. I made the switch to Fedora about two months ago with v15 Lovelock, and it's certainly been an experience! For the record, I am running Fedora 15 x64 KDE with, as far as I know, latest updates through Fedora repos + RPM Fusion. I am running nVidia proprietary drivers (v280.13) for my MSI 8800GT.

I was having some issues with Wine, but managed to get most of those ironed out. Now I'm trying to get my favorite MP3 player working, Rhythmbox. I realize that KDE comes with its own alternative, Amarok, but I'm really a fan of Rhythmbox. The app itself runs, I can play MP3s, adjust the volume, even access the plugins window. But if I try to click Edit --> Preferences, the app silently quits. I ran it through konsole to try to capture some kind of error code, and got this:

Quote:
[william@HOME-TWO ~]$ rhythmbox
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)

(rhythmbox:14377): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to grab media player keys: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files
GLib:ERROR:gvarianttypeinfo.c:186:g_variant_type_i nfo_check: assertion failed: (0 <= index && index < 24)
Aborted (core dumped)
I ran KPackageKit and installed the GLIb package (it wasn't previously), and GDBus (also wasn't installed). Now, I get:

Quote:
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)

(rhythmbox:14597): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to grab media player keys: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files
GLib:ERROR:gvarianttypeinfo.c:186:g_variant_type_i nfo_check: assertion failed: (0 <= index && index < 24)
Aborted (core dumped)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 25th September 2011, 06:58 AM
GuardianOfAura Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Rhythmbox instantly crashes @ edit --> preferences, F15 KDE x64

Apologies for the double post, but no idea?
Old 25th September 2011, 07:55 AM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

Try Clementine ...
Old 25th September 2011, 06:17 PM
GuardianOfAura Offline

linuxfirefox

Dude, respect. I think I may like Clementine a bit better than Rhythmbox. The visualizers are cool, I like how the progress in the track is animated with the orange slice in the tray, and the Hypnotoad reference *might* have made me bust a lol. But I will deny it publicly.

Thanks for the tip, PiElle. I'm not going to mark the thread as solved (in case someone stumbles in from a Google search, and technically, Rhythmbox is still dead here lol), but I'm very happy with the way this worked out.

Thanks again.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:17 PM
PiElle Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOfAura View Post
Dude, respect. I think I may like Clementine a bit better than Rhythmbox. The visualizers are cool, I like how the progress in the track is animated with the orange slice in the tray, and the Hypnotoad reference *might* have made me bust a lol. But I will deny it publicly.

Thanks for the tip, PiElle. I'm not going to mark the thread as solved (in case someone stumbles in from a Google search, and technically, Rhythmbox is still dead here lol), but I'm very happy with the way this worked out.

Thanks again.
You're welcome!
Glad to have been helpful ...
Old 7th October 2011, 06:07 AM
dispenser Offline

linuxfirefox

I to am having the same issue with the same error output. It would be nice to see a fix surface. Until then Clementine seems pretty nifty.

Tags
>, crashes, edit, f15, instantly, kde, preferences, rhythmbox, x64