Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th September 2011, 11:13 PM
Aydos Offline

windows_7chrome
Help Testing in a VM

I am trying to test Fedora 16 in a VM with VirtualBox on my windows laptop while I wait on a new hard drive to set it up on my desktop for dual boot.

I have it up and running fine, but it goes to fallback mode instead of gnome shell. I have the video memory maxed at 128 and 3d accelaration turned on.

I know this is more of a VirtualBox question than a Fedora question, but I was hoping someone here has some knowledge on the situation and can point me in the right direction.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:28 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Help Testing in a VM

AFAIK this is a common bug since F15 with Gnome 3.
It is know that it doesnt work well in VM's due to the 3d (dont know whats 3d with it anyway) desktop Gnome 3 is using.
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 27th September 2011, 12:15 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

You must run VirtualBox => 4.0.8 for Gnome shell to work in the VM

Plus, Not sure if they have it fixed on Windows hosts now, but for awhile it would only work if you had a linux host.

Gnome shell works fine for me, but I am still having problems trying to get it to support more than 1 monitor in a VirtualBox VM. I just get screens of garbage

Edit:

What video card does your laptop have in it? If it's one that Gnome shell doesn't work on, or it's marginal, then that could be the problem.

Last edited by DBelton; 27th September 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 27th September 2011, 02:18 AM
Aydos Offline

windows_7chrome

The laptop is a Lenovo X220. They are new and have a i5 Sandry Bridge. I dont remember what the vid card is but it is not that bad. Also, I ran Fedora 15 in Gnome Shell fine on the same system.

I also have this problem on my Home desktop which has a 275GTX in in.

Are you saying I need to use an older version of VirtualBox? I have the newest now.
Old 27th September 2011, 05:47 AM
cazo Offline

linuxchrome

I believe you need to have "Guest Additions" installed (on the guest system) for gnome shell to run - but the installer can't/won't install the Xorg drivers (yet). A newer "Extension Pack" is needed from Oracle. I don't expect them to release a new one until after F16 is actually released.

I suggest making a LiveUSB (or at least a LiveCD) of Fedora 16 to try it for real.

Last edited by cazo; 27th September 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:08 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydos View Post
I am trying to test Fedora 16 in a VM with VirtualBox on my windows laptop while I wait on a new hard drive to set it up on my desktop for dual boot.

I have it up and running fine, but it goes to fallback mode instead of gnome shell. I have the video memory maxed at 128 and 3d accelaration turned on.

I know this is more of a VirtualBox question than a Fedora question, but I was hoping someone here has some knowledge on the situation and can point me in the right direction.
As already stated you need the latest vbox, 3d support ticked, and Guest editions installed. for it to work.
Old 27th September 2011, 05:21 PM
Aydos Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
As already stated you need the latest vbox, 3d support ticked, and Guest editions installed. for it to work.
I have the latest installed and 3d support is ticked.

What do you mean by guess editions?

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Ahh guest additions. I just found those. I followed the instructions to a T and have them all installed and set up, but it still boots into fallback mode.

Is there a command I need to run or something to make gnome shell load.
Old 27th September 2011, 05:59 PM
sea Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Not guess, but guesT Addition or extension.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

€dit:
Ehnm yea, enabling 3d support for the (every) single vmbox in the properties of the box.
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 27th September 2011, 06:35 PM
Aydos Offline

windows_7chrome

Sorry for the typo, but yes I installed it. I followed everything in that chapter and it still does not work.

I am starting to wonder it just does not work in VM.

On the virtualbox site and the opensuse site people cannot get gnome3 running in a vm right now from what I could find.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:16 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I am running the Gnome 3 shell in a virtualbox vm without issues except for getting more than 1 monitor to work.

I installed virtualbox ffrom the virtualbox repo. Then installed the extension pack. After doing that, I then installed the guest additions in the VM.

Edit...

What I had was for windows guests, which isn't applicable here

Last edited by DBelton; 27th September 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:22 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

AFAIK it can't work with F16 ATM because VBox guest additions don't support the version of X that F16 has. It does work with F15, I believe.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 27th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Aydos Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
AFAIK it can't work with F16 ATM because VBox guest additions don't support the version of X that F16 has. It does work with F15, I believe.
This is what I heard as well.

My Guest Additions did not error out when installed.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:37 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

ahhh.. I am running F15 in a VM.

I didn't really notice that he was trying to run F16. I just saw that he was trying to get Gnome shell running.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:43 PM
Aydos Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
ahhh.. I am running F15 in a VM.

I didn't really notice that he was trying to run F16. I just saw that he was trying to get Gnome shell running.
Yeah F15 runs fine for me. Yeah I thought I posted in the F16 forums I may have made a mistake.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:54 PM
sea Online

linuxfedorafirefox

You'd posted correct
Hmm, wondering if F16 runs in VM with a F16 host

Tags
testing