Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st September 2011, 12:48 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 14 - Compiz broken after latest update.

Hi. I've just installed 100+meg of updates and rebooted only to find that when I login the desktop fails to boot. Opening a root-console, I killed Compiz which dropped me back to the login screen where I logged-in again with the desktop starting successfully. From there I disabled Compiz and have no problem starting the desktop now. But that's not really a solution!

Even stranger, if I now try logging in with and older kernel version and with Compiz off - if I try enabling Compix now, the desktop just freezes - it also fails to complete loading the desktop. So both the current-kernel/Compiz seem to be linked to the problem in some way!

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution? I miss my desktop-effects!
Old 1st September 2011, 01:10 PM
leigh123linux

windows_7firefox
Re: Fedora 14 - Compiz broken after latest update.

compiz hasn't changed in the last 4-6 months so your issue is caused by broken video drivers/kernel.
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:44 PM
omelette Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 14 - Compiz broken after latest update.

Thanks for the info. I was getting an error for about a week that the kernel that was installed was too old for whatever Nvidia needs to auto-update its driver, and it then just aborted the install. Once the updated kernel same online, everything installed fine - until the reboot!

One thing I don't get, I have a choice of 3 kernels to boot from but with Compiz deactivated it will not boot with any except the newest one - makes them kinda redundant I would think! I'm sure I can boot with any of them when Compiz is running though.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

That was a waste of time - I removed the latest kernel but neither of the old ones succeed in booting to a desktop. Although the last update did actually include the latest Nvidia driver, once you remove the kernel, that Nvidia driver is also removed so it's hard to see how that's to blame. And as I've just seen from all the installing/removing I've being doing from the command-line, each kernel has its own Nvidia-compatible driver still installed, so they should work - but they don't!

Looks like I'll be without Compiz for the foreseeable future - having been through the yum log, the second-to-last update was back in June!

Tags
broken, compiz, fedora, latest, update