Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th June 2011, 10:35 PM
Deathspawner Offline

linuxfirefox
[Solved] GNOME 3 died after an update

Hi all:

I've been using Fedora 15 since its release (it was a fresh install) and have run the built-in updater three times; the third time being just earlier. In running it, about 113 updates were found, and afterwards, I rebooted. Unfortunately, GNOME 3 somehow broke as a result of that update (I didn't do anything else system-wise in the meantime), though I'm not sure what could have caused it.

After logging in, I see nothing except my desktop wallpaper. The top bar doesn't exist, and there are no workable elements... a wallpaper and nothing but. Thinking it might have been a user issue, I created a new user under Xfce and then logged into it, and I had the same thing. Default wallpaper but nothing else.

I am actually in the process of reviewing Fedora 15 (and GNOME 3) and was nearly done writing what I needed to before this happened, so I'd love to figure out a way to fix it rather than reinstall the entire OS since I have things set up to my liking and would hate to have everything undone.

If it helps, I did a yum groupremove of "GNOME Desktop Environment" and then a groupinstall of it again, but that didn't help it either. It did ironically remove both KDE and Xfce I had installed, however.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by Deathspawner; 26th June 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:44 PM
wojox Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: GNOME 3 died after an update

I had to downgrade gnome shell to fix it.

Code:
sudo yum downgrade gnome-shell
Old 25th June 2011, 11:07 PM
Deathspawner Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojox View Post
I had to downgrade gnome shell to fix it.

Code:
sudo yum downgrade gnome-shell
Thanks for the response!

I ran that, and still have the same problem. Though when I downgrade, GNOME 3 will conk out after a few moments and tell me something's wrong, whereas when I upgrade back to where it was, it'll just sit there indefinitely with no error.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:56 PM
katastrophal Offline

linuxfirefox

if you have installed the rpmfusion nvidia drivers, try to use nouveau instead. this solved it for me.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:59 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Here's the main thread on this issue: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=265816

As mentioned in Post 32, here's a working solution:
Quote:
yum downgrade xulrunner gnome-python2-extras gnome-python2-gtkmozembed gnome-shell firefox xulrunner-devel
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 26th June 2011, 12:24 AM
Deathspawner Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks a lot for the help guys; that last command worked fine. All it downgraded for me was the gnome-shell (which I downgraded earlier and then re-upgraded) and also xulrunner, and those were enough to get me back into the desktop.

I regret doing a groupremove earlier though; had no idea it'd remove a LOT more than just GNOME ;-)

Thanks again for all the help!

Tags
died, gnome, update