Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th January 2005, 03:05 AM
MrMichaelWill Offline

Smile yum is dog slow compared to debians apt. test-transaction exhausts memory?

I have been running fedora core 2 for months now, and like it except for yum.

Yum is really awful, it is slow, and I once even had to rebuild the rpm databases in order for
it to come back.

Also, I had to create a swap-partition specifically for yum not to make my machine unusable and then fail
with out-of-memory, even though I have 768M of RAM.

I use it with 'yum update' - it takes forever to figure out what to update, and then
when I say ''y' on if I really want to update, it hangs forever and consumes vast amounts
of memory in what it calls running a 'test transaction'.

Before I had a swap-partition it used to sometimes fail with malloc not being able to get enough
memory, crashing mozilla and kmail.

Apart from that it's great, and I just yesterday installed FC3 at home which looks good so far as
well, and I did not see the same slowness as with yum, and in fact everything else seems way
quicker.

Michael

Tags
common, core, fedora, issues