Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2011, 03:47 PM
Tetsuro Offline

linuxfirefox
Audio: 'dirty'.

Hello,

I have a problem with the audio output in Fedora 15. It seems 'dirty' to me, like with a lot of distorsion.
I use for the output a nice USB DAC that seems to run very good with Ubuntu and Windows, strangely with Fedora isn't the same. I say strangely because the sound pipeline must be very similar to that of Ubuntu, no? Kernel, ALSA, Pulseaudio and so on.

Does anyone experience this? How could I improve mine audio output? I understand that not everyone is an audiophile here but hope to share some knowledge on Fedora's audio problems.

P.S.: Tried with Flash videos and Audacious audio player.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

UPDATE: Lowering audio output (like to 50%) greatly improve audio quality! Why is permitted to the system to go over and distort???

Can anyone post this bug to Fedora's developers?
Old 4th June 2011, 03:48 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxfirefox
Wink Re: Audio: 'dirty'.

Have a look at the mixer settings as I found them at a very high level on initial install - once pulled down a notch or 2 everything was distortion free

------ Edit ---

Looks like you did that already

I don't think it is really a bug and there can be a large difference in amplitude between devices They probably worked on some kind of average and you got the loud end of the stick

Last edited by satanselbow; 4th June 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 4th June 2011, 03:59 PM
Tetsuro Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Audio: 'dirty'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
Have a look at the mixer settings as I found them at a very high level on initial install - once pulled down a notch or 2 everything was distortion free

------ Edit ---

Looks like you did that already

I don't think it is really a bug and there can be a large difference in amplitude between devices They probably worked on some kind of average and you got the loud end of the stick
I found other people suffering with this problem, look: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=177479

I think it's a proper bug in fact other distributions, and Windows too, don't suffer from distorsion at high volume levels. If there is a way to improve it out of the box let's do it.
Old 4th June 2011, 04:14 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
I found other people suffering with this problem, look: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=177479

I think it's a proper bug in fact other distributions, and Windows too, don't suffer from distorsion at high volume levels. If there is a way to improve it out of the box let's do it.
Then you need to get yourself a Bugzilla account and report what you feel is a bug. Bugzilla is also a great resource for those with Fedora issues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 4th June 2011, 04:32 PM
Tetsuro Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: Audio: 'dirty'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Then you need to get yourself a Bugzilla account and report what you feel is a bug. Bugzilla is also a great resource for those with Fedora issues.
Done: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=710755

Thanks for the link.
Old 4th June 2011, 04:41 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Good job. Keep checking that link to see if there are any changes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Tags
audio, dirty